FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » ...Fried Chocolate Sandwiches?

Author Topic: ...Fried Chocolate Sandwiches?
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
...what?

Also, Cambodia is now family friendly!

[ March 25, 2004, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
“There is already far too much fat in the Scottish diet. It is no great secret that a fat-laden diet leads to obesity, diabetes and heart disease. This would never be my dessert of choice.”

I bet if she tried it, she'd change her mind.

These sound similar to fried oreos- which are divine. Imagine a pancake batter coating instead of fish coating. yummm...

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Any Scots about to shunt this garbage into the appropriate bin?
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Man... They need to slam some gravy on that sucker to make it EXTRA classy
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friedn who actually eats these, and does it with snicker too! gah!
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
They had fried snickers at the Texas State fair...along with fried twinkies, fried pickles and fried kitchen sinks..oh everything but that.. I didn't have the desire to spend $6 to try one though
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
Most Scottish cuisine is based on a dare...
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Or self destructive curiosity?
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone remember the Ren and Stimpy episode where the dad kept deep frying more and more stuff and then eating it?

I do.

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Deep-fried candy bars..."Serve with ice cream or french fries."

Since when do ice cream and french fries fall into the same category?

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man... french fries dipped in ice cream...

::drool::

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Popcorn dipped in icecream [Smile]

On the salty vein, have you tried fried pickles? They're pretty unique as well.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
FRIED PICKELS! gah, who would ruin a pickle in such a way!?
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of distructive curiosity...I wanna try to play with one of those howlitzers...

or...there's that tapeworm that you could use to keep thin after you eat that chocolate sandwich...
Satyagraha

[ March 25, 2004, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: BYuCnslr ]

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
skrika [ROFL]

This was also mentioned in a newspaper I read at lunchtime today at work - we discussed and most agreed it sounded disgusting.

I know around Newcastle, England way the dip they're MacD's fries in their milkshakes - yuk!!

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't knock 'em till you try 'em.

I don't have a cast iron stomach, so I can only deal with a few bites.

However. I've had deep fried pickles. mmmm.

Deep fried mars bar? *drooooool*

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
That's actually rather common in America, too. At least in New Jersey--I used to see all kinds of customers dip their fries in their shakes. I thought it was icky, too.

Weird New Jersey.

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wanted to try a Fried Twinkie once, just to say I did.

BTW, have you ever tried a grilled PB&J sandwich? That's some good stuff, that is.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Amanda Wynne, a dietician with the British Dietetic Association, said: "These sandwiches could easily contain more than 1,000 calories — that is half of a woman’s recommended daily intake."
So women get to eat two of them a day? What about men? I think we should get three.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I just went to a last-minute potluck. (Ok, so the potluck had been planned for awhile, I just remembered about it last minute.)

We were on our way home when we remembered and the gas station was more convenient than the grocery store... a couple weird looks and 10 dark chocolate Milky Ways later, we were set. I coated them with a batter like the one described in the link above, with white flour, corn flour, baking soda and milk. (that's the last time I follow the recipe though - 1.5 cups of flour for each candy bar???) They're pretty fun to fry, and look rather pretty when you're done.

They were quite a hit and, hate to say it, pretty tasty. I only ate a half of one but still feel like I have a bowling ball in my stomach.

The dark chocolate was definitely a good idea though. I'd recommend it for your next culinary get-together [Razz]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Wow.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, yes, I do astonish even myself [Razz]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matt
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for matt   Email matt         Edit/Delete Post 
mmm....fried pickles......
(dang; all these smilies, and not a drooling one to be found)

Posts: 148 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

*drools*

*pants and wags*

*looks hopefully*

*wags doubly furiously*

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
:Locke
Member # 2255

- posted      Profile for :Locke   Email :Locke         Edit/Delete Post 
From the weird tourist attractions article:

quote:
The minister, Abdi Jimale Osman, can't understand this. "I'm sure tourists would leave Somalia alive and I'm hopeful they wouldn't be kidnapped," he is reported as saying. "At least, we would try to make sure they were not kidnapped, though it can happen."

Posts: 1744 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

"wags, hangs head and pants *

*pees on nearest tree*

Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
"On the salty vein, have you tried fried pickles?"

Yes, those are so good. So are fried mushrooms.

Muppet, fried Twinkie? That....no, mustn't think about it. I eat too much sugar as it is. Now that grilled PB&J sandwich sounds good.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Is there no food whose taste is not improved by coating it in batter and then deep fat frying it?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
A neat Ozarks/southern thing = jalapeno poppers -- mild jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese and fried, yum! They're served as an entree around here, just like onion rings and french fries...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Jalapeno poppers are great, but I like them with cheddar.

Fried pickles are excellent.

At festivals, I see fried Twinky stands everywhere. I wonder what Twinky thinks of this trend?

One of my favorite sandwiches is a Monte Cristo. They are made different ways, but my favorite is:
A club sandwich made with turkey, ham, and cheese. Cut in triangular quarters. Dip in a French toast style batter. Deep fry. Heaven awaits.

I think any of the itms mentioned in this thread are an entire day or two worth of Weight Watcher's points.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.