FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why can't we get more news like this?

Author Topic: Why can't we get more news like this?
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/03/25/child.caught.ap/index.html

Seriously, I think it's about time we had some more positive stories in the news.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, then, get out there and start saving some falling kids!
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
Yipes!
Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

I would, but all the Jatraquero parents don't respond to my emails!

Do you think saving a guinea pig (babies are too heavy) from _5_ stories would get me on Fox News?

Headline News?

CNBC?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bite. How did you save a guinea pig froma five story fall?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't exactly classify this story as "positive." Especially the part about the kid almost getting killed because the mother wasn't watching it.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

jehovoid: Yes, but there is at least one decent soul out there.

Storm Saxon: I was speaking PURELY in the hypothetical. I mean, I'd never imagine something like that possibly occurring... Yet it's better to be prepared.

Plus my apartment building is only 5 floors high.

Not that that implies ANYTHING, okay?

-Bok

T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
As the parent of an energetic and fearless 2 yr old, I gotta step in on the woman's side here.... these little creatures move amazingly fast and start doing things like opening doors that they couldn't open 2 days ago... all it takes is a few seconds for something like this to happen. With 3 other kids, I often find that my 2 yr old has ample time to kill himself trying to learn things the hard way and it is NOT because I am a neglectful parent.

True story:

Kids were being babysat and the sitter went into the kitchen to prepare lunch. She heard the front door open and went out to investigate. It was the 2 yr old (then about 2weeks shy of it) who had managed to open the *deadbolt* lock on the front door of the sitter's house (he's a strong little son of a gun). In the time it took her to get to the front door, My 2 yr old had made it to the edge of the street-- a four lane divided major thoroughfare. We came back from our date to find her installing a chain on her front door.

There was no neglect on her part...just a very curious, unusually strong and fearless toddler.

Before you start charging people with criminal neglect, spend a few weeks around kids like Robby.

I should also point out that nobody arrested Eric Clapton for the death of his son under similar circumstances. In fact I never once heard anything other than "poor Eric, what a beautiful song he wrote."

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

I was thinking this myself---why did the woman get arrested? I mean, she went out on the balcony, and just b/c the kid almost fell doesn't mean she's neglectful.

Having two younger brothers who were both toddlers when I was a teenager, I have to agree with T. Analog Kid.

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

I didn't mean to imply that it was completely the mother's fault or that she's a criminal, just that that part of the story is tragic. Clearly things like this will happen and it's nobody's fault.

Edit:

quote:
The baby's mother showed up several minutes later
This part is really ambiguous. Showed up from where?

[ March 25, 2004, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: jehovoid ]

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

I didn't think you did mean that it was her fault--you're right, things like this happen and it's nobody's fault. It just happens.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with TAK.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
AMEN TAK!

My 4 year old was sitting next to me on a bench in the eating area at Costco just the other night. One second he was on the bench, the next he was flat on his back on the concrete. It was literally that fast. He got a headache, turned a bit green and has been fine since, but it was unbelievably fast. I was no more than 6 inches from him when he slipped backwards.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
A railing surmountable by a toddler is almost definitely not up to life safety code. The standard is that a 6" ball cannot be pushed throught it anywhere below 30" of height (maybe 36", can't remember).

Some states also have requirements that there be no footholds on the railing more than 6" height - hence the vertical bars look so common on railings. There should also not be chairs, benches, or planters near the railing.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

This got me to thinking about how I haven't had a scraped knee in years. I got scrapes and cuts alot when I was a kid (in retrospect, probably because the schoolyard where we ran around and played was all blacktop) but nowadays I only do that sorta stuff when I'm really drunk. I still run around and play sports and all (probably not as often), but it seems as if I've gotten better at staying on my feet and at falling down. Funny how that happens.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The worst knee scrape I ever got came when I was about eight, and had one foot on the seat of a Big Wheel and was pushing myself ever-faster forward with the other.

I was getting quite speedy, and decided to Slow Down. So I put my knee to the road. [Roll Eyes]

[ March 25, 2004, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

So, uh, can anyone tell me where the nearest PetSmart it is? I need some guinea pigs...

Guinea pigs' food, I mean. Definitely just food.

-Bok

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering why they arrested her. Kids are just... @_@
Like the ones at the store...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Was anyone else who read this reminded of "Groundhog Day"?

Bill Murray: "What do you say, what do you say?"

*The kid runs away*

Bill: "You've never once thanked me!"

[Big Grin]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst]

Well kat, congratulations on being the first person today to make me wince in sympathetic pain (would that be the right term).

Ow.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Bok,

NO YOU MAY NOT SHOVE GUINEA PIGS OFF YOUR PORCH.

Lemmings, now, are more into that sort of thing.

Rain

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karen.elizabeth
Member # 6345

- posted      Profile for karen.elizabeth   Email karen.elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
...ow, kat. OW!
Posts: 45 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it was horrible.

It was sort of topic, too - I was responding to jehovoid that I know the reason I don't get as many bruises is because, hopefully, I'm not quite as much of an idiot as I was as a kid.

[ March 25, 2004, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
That was definitely wince-inducing, kat.

The worst wince-inducing passage I ever read was in Vonnegut's Jailbird, where he described how a guy dropped his watch into a deep-fryer and thoughtlessy reached in to the boiling oil to retreive it. I've read about worse injuries, but that one really took me by surprise.

Kat's had the same general effect.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Or how about the time I, as a little kid, checked to see if the iron was on, by using the back of my hand?

For the record: Yes, indeed it was on. I still have the scar, even though it's been almost 20 years now.

-Bok

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
OW, kat.

I cannot tell you how many times Liam has tried to kill himself (or me, if a mother can be scared to death) since he started walking. Fully two years of my life was spent on Toddler Watch. Climbing out windows, winding blind chords around his neck. stuff like that . Oy.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I still have bruises all the time. I'm just a klutz. The problem is my skin turns days after the incident that cause them so I almost never have a good idea what it is from.

I have a couple places (one on my thigh) that I have bruised so frequently that the veins are totally to the surface and purple. It is made worse by my glow in the dark pale-white skin. I also have a dark reddish spot that used to be a horrid bruise that appears that it will be permanent, It is at the spot where they injected the anesthesia in December when I had warts removed from my foot.

I guess the actual scrapes and skinned knees have decreased though. I don't climb trees as much now.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.