FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What ever happened to Legos? (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What ever happened to Legos?
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
The Robotics were just K'nex rip-offs.

I never dug the sets. I thought they defeated the purpose of Legos, just like cooking instructions defeat the purpose of cooking (as opposed to buying something pre-made).

I just want a big box or bucket full of random blocks and little dudes. And I mean pieces that don't smell like urine, unlike every second-hand bucket I've ever seen.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, forget it then, and burn in the Lego Outter Darkness. S'all good.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
So long as there are cool space Legos in Lego Outer Darkness, I'm fine with it.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I understand Lego makes a fine robotics kit to connect your motorized creations to your PC.

(But yeah, what's with all the specialized pieces? Isn't imagination the point of Legos?)

I only gave up Legos reluctantly when I was eighteen.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow I buy legos for my little brother and I used to buy them for my ex all the time. There are some great lego kits out there. I highly recommend this one:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/toys/B000087L1Y/qid%3D1080257961/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/103-2636650-9536618

It has cool pieces and lots of ways to combine them.

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"I loved all the cool old space sets, but they don't make anything like that anymore."

I am reading this thinking, what is this guy even TALKING about? Cool "OLD" space sets? My heavens but you are a young 'un. 'Twas brick only in my day.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

I'm 18 and I thrived off brick only. And the guys, and little trees... oh and the wheels. But that was it.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

So if it's from ten years ago, it isn't old? What is it, then?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Jon Boy, I refuse to answer that question. I am pleading the fifth decade.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I saw a sign for a lego happy meal last night.
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh dear, I don't even think we HAD the little trees.

Bob, did we have the little trees?

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom kept all our legos.

And our play food, My Little Ponies, Barbies, Cabbage Patch Dolls, and pretty much anything that she figured would not be available now.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
This Thread should help restore a few people's faith.....
Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
In the late '70s, Lego definitely had little trees, as well as the beginnings of some of the tricked-out custom "blocks" you see today -- like plug-in see-through cockpits and trap doors and the like.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
In the late 70s my cousin made a death star out of Legos. It was the size of a basketball. Very cool.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid we had a couple of buckets worth of plain brick Legos, but I also had a whole bunch of sets, mostly space ones. I almost never actually built the stuff in the sets and if I did it didn't stay that way for long. And, of course, everything got thrown back into the same huge Rubbermaid containers in which all of my Legos lived in harmony.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Also: I never thought that I'd see the adjective "tricked-out" applied to Lego blocks.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
For those who eventually have kids, Legos will return.

But large size, growing smaller. We started Tristan with Primos, then Duplos, now he gets the good stuff.

<--Can't wait to go home and play with his son's legos.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that kids must be getting less creative ... the newer Lego sets have been making it harder and harder to build anything besides the thing on the cover of the box. More specialized pieces, fewer generic pieces, and fewer pieces in general. My first spaceship, from when I was four years old, was heavy as a brick, solid with pieces that I could use in millions of ways. Newer spaceships are skeletal things built almost entirely of bits that are so specialized, they look like broken-off pieces of ready-built toys.

[ March 25, 2004, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: A Rat Named Dog ]

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy to proclaim that legos are alive and well.

My son loves them. We've purchased the millenium falcon and most of the Harry Potter Legos.

What happens is that first they make the things they're intended for, then their creativity takes off from there. As a parent, it bothered me at first that he wasn't sticking to the directions, but it wasn't long until he was spending hours putting together cool spaceships, and other stuff. Now, they're all in a huge tub which he gets out once a month or so and plays with.

Bionicles are where it's at for Dallin, though.

http://www.lego.com/eng/bionicle/default.asp

It's pretty cool stuff. And they have a video game, and a better than normal video.

Edit to change the fact that while I know my son loves me, the intent was to say that he in fact loves legos, too.

[ March 25, 2004, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Trogdor the Burninator ]

Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

You can still get boxes of plain Legos, though.

I live near the Lego factory. A guy who does the children's moment at church wheeled in a life-size Lego Mark Twain he had built. It was wicked cool. In fact, I think it is part of his job to make giant Lego things.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I WANT THAT JOB.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a difference from what Lego used to be like and how it is now. Now, a lot more of the sets are large 'walls' instead of single bricks. I always merely wanted masses and masses of ordinary plain bricks, but, even at legoland, they're almost impossible to get!

Perhaps you have to buy them in bulk from factories?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Hmmm. We have become Ebay addicts. That might be the best bet.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Elizabeth, that's a really good idea! Hmmm...
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Try here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3182952653&category=19000#ebayphotohosting

Or, just get on Ebay and type "Classic Legos" in the search bar.

Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Tried to make a T-rex. Ran out of bricks. Started making planes instead. Still have them some where.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
My boys love legos! Robert and Liam are also nuts for the Bionicles. About every year they come out with entirely new sets of them, which is kind of cynical. But at least I know there is something out there I can get them that they will like.

And, yeah, they make the thing first, then they make new things. Robert made this cool spaceship out of legos and Bionicle pieces... It has this scorpion-like tail and he even made it so it moves and stuff. His father's son, in so many ways...

BTW, my mother-in-law has huge tubs full of the legos her sons played with growing up. The boys go wild with them when we visit. She has the little spaceman suits and the 'lunar surface' base and all that. Liam likes to put the medieval guys in spaceships with swords and ... this holy Grail looking thing.

Question: Do any other parents on this board find that their kids will tussle over (or hoard) particular legos? My kids are wonky about the clear ones that are shaped like gems, the Pirate sets and the undersea octopus-riding skeleton seadiver guy. They do weird things with the character guys, too. Like putting Qui-Gon's hair on Spider-man or a Jedi cape on a snow monster. It's a hoot.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
I almost never actually built the stuff in the sets and if I did it didn't stay that way for long.
quote:
I think that kids must be getting less creative ... the newer Lego sets have been making it harder and harder to build anything besides the thing on the cover of the box. More specialized pieces, fewer generic pieces, and fewer pieces in general. My first spaceship, from when I was four years old, was heavy as a brick, solid with pieces that I could use in millions of ways. Newer spaceships are skeletal things built almost entirely of bits that are so specialized, they look like broken-off pieces of ready-built toys.
These two quotes sum up my feelings pretty well. I want enough cool pieces that I can build some really cool things, but not so many that I can't build anything else. What else can you make with Bionicle stuff? More Bionicle stuff? At least the Star Wars stuff still allows you to build a wide variety of things.

[ March 25, 2004, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
The pieces are Bionicle stuff, so no matter how you put them together, I guess they are still "Bionicle stuff". However, you can make some really neat things with Bionicles and regular legos. Yeah, they have specialized pieces, but you can do some wicked cool stuff with 'em anyway. Promise. [Smile]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What happens is that first they make the things they're intended for, then their creativity takes off from there. As a parent, it bothered me at first that he wasn't sticking to the directions, but it wasn't long until he was spending hours putting together cool spaceships, and other stuff. Now, they're all in a huge tub which he gets out once a month or so and plays with.
I was going to say something like that, too, Pat. Shlomo has a huge bin of legos, he used to play with them constantly. First he would follow the directions to make the set, then he would branch out and make his own creations. He also used Legos to make a couple pretty cool school projects.

There used to be a Lego fan magazine. One of the features was photos that children of all ages sent in displaying their original Lego creations. Don't know if the mag still exists, though.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that massive amounts of pieces are way cooler than custom sets. But Mindstorms is just cool. Good way to teach programming to kids, too.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
The legos site has the classic sets!

I can FINALLY get the castle sets I've wanted and asked for every christmas since I was small!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

And we FINALLY know what to send Jamie in bulk.
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
So is there a Legos Legolas?
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the Bionicles.

They are seriously a kick in the pants. Dallin gets all of them, but I can honestly say that none of them are in their original form -- he destroys two to make one bigger one, then takes that one apart to make 3-4 others. And they look cool. And they have a pretty fun storyline.

Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.peeron.com/inv/theme/LEGO_SYSTEM/Space

Here you go Jon Boy!

They don't have every type of space figure, but that have tons.

Basically it helps you find sites that sell them. Something like 70% of the space toys have sites that can sell them to you.

Enjoy [Big Grin] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.bricklink.com/index.asp

WOW!

This one has every toy, and tons of them!

Both new and used [Smile] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Xavier, you are my Hatrack Hero of the Day.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=93108
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

You're so gay, Nathan.

Not that there's anything wrong with that....

[ March 25, 2004, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Trogdor the Burninator ]

T_Smith
Member # 3734

::winks at Trog::

Sorry, but Lalo has already claimed me, if you're looking.

I better tell my bishop right away.

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, remember Playmobils? You know, those cool things that mom would buy at the little independent toy store that didn't carry Barbie? Not only are they still around, but I found a set that is a hazmat crew!
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

**gives T-Smith a noogie for taking the joke in the right way**

Now run along, Sport.

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
My first Legos was a set of red bricks, with a little window, and a door. And that was back when all the people had the same face.

I loved the space police!
My brothers and I would build bases (unfortunately mine looked all blocky and stupid), and little ships, and attack each other (and my brothers always won [Frown] )...it was so cool! [Cool]

quote:
Actually, I understand Lego makes a fine robotics kit to connect your motorized creations to your PC.

http://www.usfirst.org/jrobtcs/flego.htm
(but the REAL robotics is cooler... [Big Grin] )

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Suprised no one has posted this yet Lego Mugging and ...Article -minus pics

There were pics attached to the second article when I read it last week, mysteriously removed now. Strange happenings are afoot in LegoLand....

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Playmobils? *shudders* The hazmat crew is hilarious, though.

And now I'm having entirely too much fun browsing around on Bricklink.com.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Playmobil rocks! I got them for my kids when they were little, and kept adding to the sets. The pirate ship is so cool. I am still collecting them myself now.
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Feyd introduced me to the Escher lego structures a while back. Those are so cool.

Hey, Trogdor, would you be interested in a Bionicle board game? I might have one collecting dust.

Has anyone else seen the Lego Room episode of while you were out?

quote:
Beth's love of the small modular plastic toy has, to put it mildly, taken over her home. Apart from the couches, most of her living room furniture is made out of Lego, including a grandfather clock that took over two years to assemble.
link

Be sure to click on the little view link to see the room.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I was bummed when the NIMBYs succeeded in pushing Legoland out of Prince William County.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.