FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My favorite kind of rain.

Author Topic: My favorite kind of rain.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Today it's raining, but it's my favorite kind of rain. The kind where it's light, but comes down fast. The kind where your hair can get absolutely soaked, as if it were a shower, and water drips down your face. It's not cold, but refreshing and there's no wind, so you don't have to hide your face. It's the kind you can take your jacket off and dance about in (yeah, forget those weird people who don't, and decide
to watch you with blank expressions instead). I get easily caught up in this rain.

In Oregan, I was taken to the Gorge, and there was a waterfall that gave the same effect. A refreshing soak, that seems to stick with soaking your face and not your clothes, and doesn't leave you shivering.

But that's just me. Anyone else have a particular kind of weather they prefer?

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
In western Oregon, it rains like that just about non-stop for a couple of weeks in spring. The cold wetness of it all drove us back to Utah. Seriously. In the middle of June, I was still needing a sweater and it was still raining more days than not. I wanted sunshine, desperately. I wanted snow. I wanted real, craggy mountains that hover over you protectively. So I went online, looked at the ads in the Deseret News. Picked out three, sent cover letters and resumes. In one week he had an interview. Three weeks after that, we moved.

By then, it was raining in Utah. Not the wimpy showers soak your hair in a couple of minutes, but the gusty thunderstorms that flood your street in a couple of minutes.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you learn something new about people every day!

T, I love this rain also. It's great. My favorite thing to do is go for run when it's like this, or a bike ride.

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Not cold? Try walking home in it!
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

- posted      Profile for peter the bookie           Edit/Delete Post 
we had that rain here today. i walked through it after a very disturbing early morning meeting. it was nice that the sky was crying so i didn't have to.

of course, working half the day soaking wet wasn't exactly fun.

Posts: 318 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
peter, where do you live? I seem to think cache county, utah, though I am probably wrong...
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
It's FREEZING out here! Weather like this makes me want to stay home and write depressing poetry.

I love it when it's absolutely pouring down rain and 90 degrees outside. You run around and get soaking wet without getting hypothermia.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Hard soaking summer rains are the best, but only barefoot and nearly naked. [Smile]
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I really miss the gigantic thunderstorms that would roll through OK and TX in the spring. This rain that we have in Utah today is wimpy rain to me.

But then, I don't miss the tornados.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
sarcastic muppet -- I too love walking around, getting soaked in the rain when it is nice and warm.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I also love this kind of rain and you only get it in the spring. I love to go out for a walk without an umbrella and skip in the puddles, but only when I can go home again to change clothes and dry off. I love how green it gets so that the gray of the rain doesn't seem to matter. Aaah, Spring.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pajeba
Member # 5656

- posted      Profile for pajeba           Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite rain comes with real thunderstorms. I love to see it start pouring down - if you're in an open area you can see the heavy stuff coming towards you in a big sheet - It's even cooler coming across a big lake. Lightning and thunder at night are the best, though [Big Grin]

The hail isn't good your car or the top of your head, but it's cool to have little frozen chunks all over in the middle of the summer [Smile]

But I guess I have to settle for this little sprinkling [Razz]

[ October 29, 2007, 03:37 AM: Message edited by: pajeba ]

Posts: 233 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday:

Imagine a heavily overcast, warm spring evening. Although it is not raining, a grey fog covers everything, dampening the roads, diluting colours, turning the leafless trees into black scratches on the deep grey sky. Every streetlight, car headlight and house lamp reflects off the water in the air making a glowing sphere of light. The only sounds are those of water; the trickling of little rivers made from the last of the melting snow, the sound of cars driving on a constantly wet surface, footsteps in puddles.

A man pauses with his dog under an orange streetlight. When he moves on out of the light, it as if he was never there at all. His body just melts into the general grey of the low-lying cloud.

It was the most evocative, magical and beautiful weather I have ever seen.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

- posted      Profile for peter the bookie           Edit/Delete Post 
if only i had thought to take of my shoes!

zev, you've mistaken me for a different peter. i'm afloat in the midwest.

Posts: 318 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the smell of turning my car heater back on. MMMmmm. Then there was some snow mingled with the rain. Now I see sun. Will go out and see if there's a rainbow.
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karen.elizabeth
Member # 6345

- posted      Profile for karen.elizabeth   Email karen.elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I miss the rain of San Francisco.

It comes pouring down, blurring everything, and probably freezing, but everybody is so used to it that we stand in the middle of the courtyard, getting soaked, and tramp back to class without a second thought. It's hard and rushing and the teachers don't even bother anymore to tell us to stand under the overhang -- we'll just ignore them anyway.

In Dallas, there is almost never rain without thunderstorms -- people call it "Indian Showers," and it is such a rare occurence that it's saddening. While the sky is beautiful, you can't go out and experience it. Also, my new school is closed; it's a building like out of a movie. There are no rows of classrooms open to a courtyard, with windows on each side and two doors to exit from. *sighs*

Posts: 45 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread reminded me of one of my favorite songs.
She's My Kind of Rain

Chorus:
(She's my kind of rain
Like love in a drunken sky
She's confetti falling
Down all night
She's my kind of rain)

She sits quietly there
Black water in a jar
Says, Baby why are you
Trembling like you are

So I wait
And I try
I confess like a child

(Chorus)

She's the sun set shadows
She's like Rembrandt's light
She's the history that's made at night
She's my lost companion
She's my dreaming tree
Together in this brief eternity
Summer days, winter snows
She's all things to behold

(Chorus)

So I wait
And I try
I confess all my crimes

(Chorus)

She's my kind of rain
Oh, rain on me
She's my kind of rain

by: Tim McGraw

[ March 27, 2004, 01:40 AM: Message edited by: LadyDove ]

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.