FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The oddities of Business

Author Topic: The oddities of Business
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
So I went to cubs today to buy my groceries for the week...and I needed some eggs, I was looking at the different prices for the eggs, and for half a dozen of grade A mediums of a specific brand was 99 cents...for a dozen of the exact same ones (grade A mediums, of the same brand) was 2.30...so much for the sliding scale of more is cheaper. Of course I doubt anyone actually notices, but do they really make more money? Thinking about that...it means that they're not making their full potential with the half dozens (which are literally the dozen cartons cut in half), if they sold the half dozens for 1.35, the people that need a dozen will still buy by the dozen, and those that buy only half will still only buy half...and they'd pad their profit margin by another 66 cents per half carton...or they'd do the smart thing and rais the price of half to 1.50 and those that only want half dozen will still buy half dozen, and yet they still won't loose any profits for the dozens, this also has the double benefit of moving more product (saying more people will buy by the dozen to make it worth it)...there's a reason people use the sliding scale in pricing...I'd like to know the genius that did this pricing...because they want to move more product in order to keep their costs low (the more they buy, the lower the price they get from the farms). Has anyone else noticed this?
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Loss leaders.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The $2.50 eggs don't have salmonella? [Razz]

Seriously, compare the expiration dates. If you're going to use them immediately, buying eggs close to (but still before) the expiration date can save you a lot of money.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Except in discount stores like CostCo, you will find many of the "large economy size"s to be more expensive than the more commonly sold sizes.

The main cost driving sales-price isn't the manufacturer's charge for the product, but rather the shelf space that the package occupies multiplied by the amount of time that the package sits on the shelf.

[ March 30, 2004, 12:41 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
2 liter diet cokes are almost always cheaper per unit volume than 3 liter. I have no idea why, but that's very true.
Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that volume sizes are occasionally more expensive simply because the store figures that people will buy the volume size assuming it's more economical, whether or not it is, in fact. If I were you, I'd buy two half dozen eggs. [Smile]
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.