FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Guess who gets to be obnoxious in a totally new country

Author Topic: Guess who gets to be obnoxious in a totally new country
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as a program that is ambiguously connected to the geography school here at UT, I will be going to England for a month this summer. We get to stay in a dorm in Oxford for a while, eat in the Oxford dining hall, before we stay at Bath and a few other places.

We get free weekends, and a few long weekends, and we get the opportunity to travel all across Europe if we really want to. I, however, intend to go to Scotland and Ireland. Since I know some people here at the 'Track travel a lot, and surely have more worldly knowledge of the British Isles than I, I was just wondering if any of you guys have any suggestions on particularly spiritual or gorgeous places? I've already been advised to take the train ride to Edinburgh and to sit on the right side so I can look down the cliff. For instance, would anyone here know of any places where there are "standing stones?" I would really enjoy the chance to see them. I've heard about them before and they profoundly pique my interest.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
England is a "totally new country"? I was under the impression they'd been around for awhile. [Razz]

That said, I'm totally jealous.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Prague. Do I need to bring out the flow chart?

*displays flow chart, with "Pra-ague" as destination*

See? I really shouldn't have to tell you this. Obviously it is not possible to claim to have been to Europe and not have seen Prague. I look forward therefore to your email telling me when you will be in town for me to show you around. [Smile]

(recommendations as tour guide available on request)

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
That's really exciting! I love it when other people travel to other places. (I love it when I travel too, but I never get to go).

Here is a site that seems to have got a complete listing of various places with ancient connections in England. If you click 'Home' it takes you to a page which lists other European sites (including Scotland, Wales and Ireland)

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I can personally recommend Lissa as a tour guide! [Smile]
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Prague (being the essential European city (that's where Hollywood always films movies that take place in ANY European city)) actually tops my list of "to see" cities in Europe.

It does not, however, top my list of "affordable trips" in Europe. [Frown]

Thanks, though.

[ March 29, 2004, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
OMG you are SO WICKED LUCKY!!!!

*jealous smoke emerges from ears*

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to live in Oxford.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Nope. It's in part of July and August.
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel the need to point out that there are extremely low-cost airlines (whose websites unfortunately currently escape me) going from England to Prague if you look carefully. Just saying. [Smile] But ok, I may be convinced to accept that as an almost-legitimate excuse. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tzadik
Member # 5825

- posted      Profile for Tzadik   Email Tzadik         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to, check out the following web sites:

wwww.easyjet.com
www.bmibaby.com

There are more, but can't think of them right now. You can get very, I mean very good airfare between UK and Prague.

Also, if you don't mind being on a bus for 24 hours, the bus tickets between UK and Prague are dirt cheap, less than 40$ a return ticket.

So, think hard about Prague [Smile] Hope get to see you here

Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Oxford. When are you coming?
Go to London, of course, if you haven't been already - London is wicked!
Also www.ryanair.com has cheap flights to all sorts of places in Europe.

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be hard to find a spot in Ireland, Wales, or northern Scotland that isn't spiritual, especially after you've been drinking with the locals and they've lied to you about the historical significance of that hill in the distance.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Admit it Book, you are not going to Oxford. Your really going for a semester in Hogwarts.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Seriously, I saw the pictures of the dining hall and first word in my mind was "...Hogwarts?"

Prague is sounding more and more interesting...

amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Book, are you staying in Christ Church?
If so, then no surprise it looks like Hogwarts - the dining hall and main staircase were based on Christ Church hall/staircase, though not filmed there because the hall was too small.

Edit: And Stonehenge is easily gettable-to from Oxford, if you want ancient stuff.

[ March 30, 2004, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: amira tharani ]

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.