FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » who is jesus to those of mormon faith? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: who is jesus to those of mormon faith?
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that there are enough ignorant people who post questions about mormons, but I can't resist.
Who is Jesus to the mormons?
[Smile]

Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
A guy I helped wash cars with.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
<hits gwan with a large, frozen, mrs. fields pie>
Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not a Mormon.

But I am guessing that Jesus Christ is their Jesus. You know, the carpenter dude.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Based on the informative Mormon infomercials I used to see on TV, I *think* Mormons believe that Jesus came to America after his resurrection and spread the gospel to the colonists and Native Americans.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

I just mean, where does he fit in?
Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
The Book of Mormon does refer to Christ visiting and preaching to the Nephites soon after the Resurrection.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Mormons believed in everything that Christians do (i.e. the old and new testaments) plus the Book of Mormon, which describes Jesus' adventures in America.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

you know, T_smith even virtual abuse hurts... [No No]
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Jesus (Hey- Zues)

Oh come on, I thought it was pretty funny.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
?
Member # 2319

- posted      Profile for ?   Email ?         Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus has many roles for the people in the LDS faith. First he is the Creator of all. Under the direction and by the power of Heavenly Father he created the Earth and all that is on it. Second he is our savior. By suffering and dying for us he made it possible for us to return to God. Third he will be our judge. After this life we will be judged by Christ to see if we are worthy to return to the Father.
There are many other roles, but these are the main ones. Very similar to other Christian beliefs.

?

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

You ripped my soul out, with your witty remarks... [Cry]
and now I shall leave hatrack!
And maybe I can write a long thread about it so that people can beg me to stay... [Wink]

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Christ is the center of our faith. Our church's name is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. We worship Christ as our Lord and Savior. Our beliefs, practices, and teachings are founded on Christ, his atonement, and his gospel. We believe that the path to salvation starts with faith in Jesus Christ.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he might be confusing you and I, nate, seeing as I virtually struck him with about 2 lbs of frozen pastry... and that would really leave a mark.
Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
speaking of Jesus, I'd like to hear that "Chocolate Jesus" song again...
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

What chocolate jesus song?
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
According to my source of all things religious--Jack Chick, demon worshipping, baby eating Mormons think that Jesus is an alien from.....

Well, maybe Jack Chick isn't the best source of religious information after all.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Book of Mormon does refer to Christ visiting and preaching to the Nephites soon after the Resurrection.
Dobie, I don't get it. [Confused] Why is that funny?
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Why does it have to be funny?
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Cause Dobie said it?

Nate, it's a song by Tom Waits.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Just thinking it may be a lot of pressure on a guy to have to say something funny every time he opens his mouth.

Maybe him not joking was the funny part [Smile] .

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Um, Buddy Jesus is Catholic, dude.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Jesus our buddy in every christian religion? Don't make me break out South Park's Rambo Jesus. [Razz]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Who's Buddy Jesus?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Apparently some guy T_Smith washes cars with.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

He left waterspots.
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

Someone previously linked to Kevin Smith's "buddy Christ" from "Dogma" and said that Mormons had a "cooler" Jesus. that post has been deleted, I guess, which is why it doesn't make sense, now.
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

BTW, as someone mentioned South Park, they did an episode on LDS that was, predictably for South Park, incredibly offensive and pretty doggone funny if you could keep from being angry about it (which seems to be the key to finding South Park funny).
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Um... I linked the Buddy Jesus. I checked my email and didn't find a warning email from the mods. Was that too offensive? I'm sorry if it offended anyone. [Frown]

I always thought Buddy Jesus (beyond the context of the movie) was a pretty legitimate idea. Why should religious icons remind us of suffering? Jesus is about love. And if he wants to give us a thumbs up and a pat on the back, I like to see that too. [Smile]

T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

maybe your link was copyrighted material?

I'm Catholic and I thought the whole buddy Christ/"Catholicism Wow!" thing was hysterical... especially Carlin's description of it. Maybe the last really funny thing Carlin did...

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

I hope it was the copyright issue (didn't check the link that carefully, just a google).

That movie made me cringe at times, but I loved the scene where Matt and Ben took out that whole board room of sinners. [Smile]

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
O_o You frighten me, Beren...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Hey, no one ever accused the Old Testament God of being soft on crime. [Smile]
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

"you didn't say bless you when I sneezed!"

[Laugh]

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

[ROFL]
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I should print out this thread and give it to my step mother.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
BTW, as someone mentioned South Park, they did an episode on LDS that was, predictably for South Park, incredibly offensive and pretty doggone funny if you could keep from being angry about it (which seems to be the key to finding South Park funny).
Actually, the very end of that episode turned the whole thing around. They spend most of the show mkaing fun of LDS and accusing them of being "recruiters" with a vaguely sinister agenda. And the last line turns it all around on them by basicaly saying, what's threatening about us having a good family life and answering questions about why we have it?

I'm not sure it made up for the offensiveness of the preceeding 29 minutes, but it shifted the whole focus of the show.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
We believe Jesus will forgive you for this thread. [Smile]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Before you read the long article on South Park, I would like to also say that I've only met two Mormons before in my life, and they are both fantstic people. (Dennis and Kelly, you rock!).

My friend Dennis went to Ireland for his mission. Wow. A Mormon getting between Catholics and Protestants. That took guts. [Hail]

But now Dennis has become a lawyer, so all bets are off. [Smile]

BYU News Net :
quote:

While neither Stone nor Parker are Latter-day Saints, they both have had many Mormon influences in their lives.

"We both grew up in Colorado around Mormon people," Stone said. "My best friend was Mormon and Trey used to date a Mormon girl in high school."

Stone said the LDS people they grew up around left a lasting impression on them.

Stone did not grow up in a religious family and said some of his first religious experiences were with his good friend's family.

"They would pray together as a family," Stone said. "I found it weird but fascinating."

Parker and Stone do not actively practice any one religion but are not opponents of religious activity.

"We are admirers of religion," Stone said.

Stone said both he and Parker find the Mormon religion interesting and sometimes funny. Parker finds it especially intriguing and has even met with LDS missionaries.

Even though they make fun of and parody Mormons in their cartoon and films, Stone insists it is not because they dislike Latter-day Saints, but because it is easy.

According to Stone, Christianity in general "has been hacked to death by comics for years," and people are tired of it.

The entertainment industry is always looking for new material, and Stone said Mormons have not been around long enough for people to get used to their beliefs and tire of material involving them.

"Mormons have a lot of very goofy beliefs," Stone said. "It is a new body that comics can pick over."

Parker and Stone have been regular participants in the Sundance Film Festival, and Stone said they would always try to skip a half days worth of activities at the festival and go down to Temple Square to take a tour.

"We thought it was a trip," Stone said.

He said Temple Square is a perfect example of how if someone is not Mormon, he or she can find things humorous that Mormons memorialize.

"There is a monument to seagulls in Temple Square," Stone said. "If you aren't Mormon you think, 'what the [heck] is that'?"

In most of their work involving Mormons, Stone said even though much of the content can be viewed as offensive to Latter-day Saints, they try to send the message that Mormons in general are great people who deserve respect.

"At the end of that South Park episode, the point was that even though Mormons have some strange beliefs, it is a system of rules and values that work," Stone said. "In general, Mormons are stereotyped as good people who are nice law-abiding citizens. There are worse stereotypes."

Stone said Parker feels the same way and has said he has never met a Mormon he did not like, and this is one of the reasons they use Mormons as characters in a lot of their work.

"If we want to portray a really good, wholesome person, we make him a Mormon," Stone said.

Their interest in using LDS people in their work extends past cartoons and movies. Stone mentioned he and Parker have been talking for years about bringing the story of Joseph Smith to life in a Broadway musical.

"There are no definite plans right now, but it is something we would both like to do," Stone said.

Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Who is Jesus to the Mormons:

He is our Faith. He is the Head of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, commissioned for that postion by God the Father.

He is a God.

He is The Son of God. He is the first born of God in the spirit world, and the first and only born of God in mortality.

He is the spiritual brother of us all.

He is, under the direction of God the Father, the Creator of this world.

He is the light and life of this world. He is the Word; meaning the source of all truth.

He is the Lord and Savior of the world. He is the First Resurrection that allows all to be resurrected. He is the Judge of this world, wiping away the sins of those who repent and deciding the Eternal fate of those who don't.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
According to Stone, Christianity in general "has been hacked to death by comics for years," and people are tired of it.

The entertainment industry is always looking for new material, and Stone said Mormons have not been around long enough for people to get used to their beliefs and tire of material involving them.

Obviously they haven't read the book "Vipers on the Hearth" by Terry L. Givens on this very subject about the anti-Mormon entertainment (mostly literary) both past and present. Mormons haven't been "new material" for a very long time.

[ April 05, 2004, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Occasional ]

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
South Park did an episode with the following exchange:

[Hell, waiting area. Many souls are there, wondering where they are, and why.]

Speaker: Hello, newcomers, and welcome. Can everybody hear me? [taps the mic a few times] Hello? Can everybuh-? Okay.

[the crowd quiets down]

Uh, I'm the hell director. Uh, it looks like we have about 8,615 of you newbies today, and for those of you who are a little confused, uh, you are dead, and this is hell, so, abandon all hope and uh yada yada yada. Uh, we are now going to start the orientation process, which will last about-

Man 4: Hey, wait a minute, I shouldn't be here. I wa a totally strict and devout Protestant! I thought we went to heaven!

Hell Director: Yes, well I'm afraid you were wrong.

Soldier: I was a practicing Jehovah's Witness.

Hell director: Uh, you picked the wrong religion as well.

Man 5: Well, who was right? Who gets into heaven?

Hell Director: I'm afraid it was the Mormons. Yes, the Mormons were the correct answer.

Crowd: [disappointed] Awww.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lara
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for Lara   Email Lara         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the funniest thing I've ever seen on South Park. I just had to say that because, I don't know why. Just thinking about it makes me laugh.
*wiping a tear*

Posts: 377 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I like how the "practicing" Jehovah's Witness was a soldier [Smile] Clearly not all that serious about his faith.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so whomever gets the correct response to this next phrase correctly, gets a dozen cookies from me...

"Jesus CHRIST!"

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

*slap* "That's for blasphemy!

"The quest for the Grail is not archaeology. It's a race against evil. If it is captured by the Nazis, the armies of darkness will march
all over the face of the earth. Do you understand me?"

[ April 06, 2004, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Yozhik ]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

I thought it was "Run Away! Run Away!"
Yozhik
Member # 89

so, where are my cookies?
*taps foot impatiently*

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Rowan Atkins, in his Live Show, did a similar (to South Park) scene, where he played the devil.

But with him, it was the Jews who were right.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
That was a funny scene. I love how he put the French and the Germans together in the same group, because they'll have a lot to talk about.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.