FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » who is jesus to those of mormon faith? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: who is jesus to those of mormon faith?
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
"And to the Mormons, whom we realized put in a lot of hard work, God sends his condolences. It seems God had a bit of a tiff with your forefathers and damned the whole nation. But thats the way the wafer crumbles."
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
While we're on South Park, did anybody see the episode where Kyle saw The Passion? That whole episode just screamed "Hatrack with dirtier mouths" at me.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, that episode was to me one of their less effective episodes. I'm pretty sure this isn't just me not liking it when they make fun of something close to me, because I thought the priest pedophile episode was pretty effective satire.

I think the difference is that there was no representation of the middle ground. In the priest episode, the South Park priest is the middle ground between the coverup of the hierarchy and the hysteria of the parents.

In the Passion episode, there was no one at the end who thought the movie was any good. Stan's and Kenny's quest was funny, but it didn't carry any satirical value because the charicature of Mel was soooo over the top. In the same way, their Barbara Streisand appearances aren't really attacks on her because they are disconnected from reality.

Meanwhile, Cartman is either using the Passion cynically to achieve his Hitlerian goals or he has actually had this motivation instilled by the film - it's never made clear. Either way, it's out of character for him, because Cartman's driving motivations have always been selfish. Either he wants money, or food, or to be proven right in such a way as to humiliate Kyle. Such a character change needs to be better demonstrated to be effective, even in a cartoon. (Especially in a cartoon with pretty high satirical standards.)

Meanwhile, Kyle, who has always staunchly defended himself from Cartman's anti-semitism, suddenly caves after seeing the Passion? I just don't buy it, especially because the movie does show the Romans doing the worst things.

All in all, I was disappointed because it never synthesized the extremisms of both sides like they did in the town flag episode.

Dagonee
*Takes his satire seriously. [Smile]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Here cookies, cookies, cookies!
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.