FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Welcome to the European Union (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Welcome to the European Union
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you post that rejection e-mail you got from me?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
This is so sad.

When you're ready to tell the truth Kama, let me know.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
What is the benefit of the EU? I saw a special that was anit-Spain EU. The reporter said that Spain took as much money from the EU that London put into the EU. The reporter was very agitated that Spain's tomatoes were subsidized and then the Spaniards had the big tomato fight.

I am not familiar with that part of the world at all. What direction is money flowing with the 10 new countries in the EU and who all benefits and why?

I would like to hear some opinions here of people who live over there.

Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
The benefit is that of one strong economy, instead of plenty of weaker ones. The EU means free movement of goods and services, an open, competetive market.

Now, about the money-flow. Apart from other things (like the customs duty), EU's budget is financed from the member countries' fees. A very large percentage of this money is directed towards agriculture and structural funds. The money goes to the poorest areas of the EU. With the accession of 10 new countries, which are worse off economically than the older members, the money will have to be divided between more states. The poorer areas of "Old Europe", such as Spain, Portugal etc will not get as much as they used to. Then again, the 10 new countries will have to open up their markets for the EU products, and will not be allowed to favour their own products over European.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it might actually turn out to be one weak economy instead of pleny of weak ones.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
[Taunt]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 
Some union. It's like the Teamsters, only some members have nuclear weapons.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
The EU is great wooo!

The Fourth Reich has arrived!

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.