FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Passion of.... the EASTER BUNNY!!!???

Author Topic: The Passion of.... the EASTER BUNNY!!!???
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Hint to local churches: don't draw from Mel Gibson for your family Easter shows. Please.

Actors Whip Easter Bunny at Church Show

quote:
GLASSPORT, Pa. - A church trying to teach about the crucifixion of Jesus performed an Easter show with actors whipping the Easter bunny and breaking eggs, upsetting several parents and young children.

People who attended Saturday's performance at Glassport's memorial stadium quoted performers as saying, "There is no Easter bunny," and described the show as being a demonstration of how Jesus was crucified.

Melissa Salzmann, who brought her 4-year-old son J.T., said the program was inappropriate for young children. "He was crying and asking me why the bunny was being whipped," Salzmann said.

Patty Bickerton, the youth minister at Glassport Assembly of God, said the performance wasn't meant to be offensive. Bickerton portrayed the Easter rabbit and said she tried to act with a tone of irreverence.

"The program was for all ages, not just the kids. We wanted to convey that Easter is not just about the Easter bunny, it is about Jesus Christ," Bickerton said.

Performers broke eggs meant for an Easter egg hunt and also portrayed a drunken man and a self-mutilating woman, said Jennifer Norelli-Burke, another parent who saw the show in Glassport, a community about 10 miles southeast of Pittsburgh.

"It was very disturbing," Norelli-Burke said. "I could not believe what I saw. It wasn't anything I was expecting."

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard this on the radio this morning and thought it was funny. Then I thought about it some more and then wondered what in the world the youth pastor was thinking.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a missing synapse in the brain when you can put "there is no Easter bunny" and "the Easter bunny represents Christ" in the same thought. Why would you use an "irreverant" and ficticious character to represent God? That makes no sense at all.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Digital Man
Member # 6427

- posted      Profile for The Digital Man   Email The Digital Man         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm laughing because I just don't want to cry today...
Posts: 26 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

I had a similar reaction to Jeniwren - I chuckled at first but then thought "what on earth were they thinking?"

It seemed an incredibly bizarre way to try to refocus people toward viewing Easter as a religious celebration, rather than a celebration of bunnies, eggs and chocolate.

So - my guess is that this item might end up ranking a little heavier than the norm on a "fluff scale." (do we have a fluff scale?)

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooo ooo! help me Lord Frith!
*whip*whip*
Ahhh.. cure my bunny form... come sweet Black Rabbit of Inlay.... *gasp*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me get this straight -- she thought she could teach that Easter is about Jesus, not the Bunny, by having the Bunny replace Jesus in the Easter story?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Digital Man
Member # 6427

- posted      Profile for The Digital Man   Email The Digital Man         Edit/Delete Post 
that seems to be the gist, yes...
Posts: 26 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the fluff scale is an inverse relation to emoticon density. With the exception of someone talking about something sad in their own lives. The only thing that would have made this weirder is if they used the snake as a whip.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Dana, that's what was confusing me.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

And I used to wonder why so many people had such messed up ideas about the Christian religion.

[Wall Bash]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Dana,

the real problem is that Christians have no fewer messed-up people within their ranks than any other group.

Non-messed up people don't make news, except for the occasional "human interest" story.

Edit to add: and Dana, if you ever have a moment of self-doubt about your own youth ministry, you have permission to use this story to give yourself a morale boost. A new cautionary tale for youth ministers everywhere. [Wink]

[ April 08, 2004, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

dkw
Member # 3264

I wasn’t as worried about the people who read the news as the kids who saw the show.

People who read/see the news can look at it and say "what on earth was she thinking?!?" The kids she's teaching have to deal with the fact that their church/pastor is sending some seriously mixed messages.

sndrake
Member # 4941

I guess it could have been worse. They could have crucified the Easter Bunny.

I guess they wanted to make sure they stayed in the confines of "good taste."

Scourging of Easter Bunny: OK
Crucifixion of Easter Bunny: Not OK

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that if Saturday Night Live had done this, they'd get flooded with hate mail?

Then again, if they're live this Saturday, maybe they will...

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Really, I don't know whether to laugh or be shocked.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I still think that the whipping is given way too much importance from the movie. The Crucifixion is the most important part. I say crucify the bunny! [Wink]

"little bunny Foo Foo hopping through the forest, picking up the field mice and BOPPING them on the head..."

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Good Night.

This is both hilarious (at first glance) and profoundly, profoundly disturbing.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Agreed. Diane and I were talking about it and she pointed out that this show was probably the product of many weeks or months of planning.

You have to figure that a significant number of people were involved - certainly all of the performers, anyway.

So... in all that time, did no one ask the following question?:

"Is it just me, or is what we're doing just a little screwed up?"

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Of all the hare-brained ideas!

I bet the fur really flew after parishioners saw the "scourging" scene.

Okay, I got that out of my system.

I'm not all that up on "Assembly of God" churches, but there are lots of churches wherein the position of "youth minister" does not equate to "youth pastor" by a long, long stretch. The youth minister might be someone (usually female) who is considered nurturing and capable of leading small children in learning about Bible stories through crafts and activities.

A "youth pastor" would generally be someone trained, and in fact ordained, who would be more or less well-versed in the liturgy. Typically, this is someone chosen for the role because of their own youth (e.g., recently ordained, or just considered more "hip" than the senior pastor) and able to relate to all ages of kids. This is someone who might be upset about the Easter Bunny co-option of the most holy day in the Christian calendar, but who would none-the-less know not to send in the bunny as a sub for Jesus in the passion play.

[Eek!]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Does anybody else have "The Bunny Song" from Rack, Shack, and Benny runny through their heads?

Now that was a show that got across the point I think this church was going for, but did it well.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Next stop: Santa.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I have to admit, I found Easter a totally confusing holiday when I was a little kid. We're hunting for these eggs why? I did look forward to it, though. I love searching for stuff. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

See why I was reluctant to tell you about the Easter Bunny when you asked, Storm?
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Well, if you had told me the Easter Bunny was really Jesus, I guess I would have had a hard time believing you. But if a youth minister believes it... [Dont Know] Who am I to argue with the experts?
sndrake
Member # 4941

Storm,

It's pretty clear that the Easter Bunny was just another victim of mistaken identity.

Could happen to anyone. [Wink]

UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
Very disturbing. Those poor little kids. [Cry]
Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother talks about a Baptist church near them who did something like this every Easter when she was growing up. She thought it was sick; apparentley, it got graphically into the Easter Bunny and his "worshippers" burning in Hell.
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

That's terrible. I'm not theological expert, but I'm pretty confident that chocolate would melt in the flames of hell. [Frown]

Ooops. OK, I get it. It's hell. Your chocolate is supposed to melt.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmmmmmmm Melted chocolate!!!

Yummy!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, they'll just stick you in the fridge. . .OF HELL!
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.