FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Children of Divorce

Author Topic: Children of Divorce
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
I am bringing this up after reading the "living together" thread. I didn't want to derail that thread.

I am a child of divorce (my parents were divorced when I was about 3 1/2). There is a book I read that some of you might find interesting. It is about children of divorced parents and parents who should have divorced, but stayed together "for the sake of the children." Below is a link to the book and an article. The book is no longer available. I think I have an extra copy if anyone is interested in reading it.

book - http://www.midlife.com/html/resources/books/RB09_Adult.htm

article - http://www.midlife.com/html/resources/articles/RA14_Helping.htm

I saw quite a bit of myself reading this book. You can ask Pop, I really don't like conflict, and will do anything in my power to avoid it.

Does anyone else have thoughts on legal versus emotional divorce in families?

-Mama

<edited for stupid spelling errors>

[ April 08, 2004, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Mama Squirrel ]

Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like they're basically the same. Staying married should include the heart as well as the mind. Just living together isn't good enough.

That said, I believe that ALL divorce is wrong and should be avoided.

(You know, every time I type something like that, I feel like all the people at Hatrack who have been divorced are thinking I'm an idealistic child.)

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Digital Man
Member # 6427

- posted      Profile for The Digital Man   Email The Digital Man         Edit/Delete Post 
Being an Idealist is wonderful...until you just get out into the real world and find you're pretty much destined to suffer <bitter laughter>

I'm being a little tongue-in-cheek, but also a little serious here... I do find Idealism to be beautiful, powerful, and wholesome. I strive for it myself. It's the harder way, but the better one, IMO.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
All divorce? Even with spousal abuse?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Digital Man
Member # 6427

- posted      Profile for The Digital Man   Email The Digital Man         Edit/Delete Post 
And, Mama Squirrel, thanks for the "Rec"... I think it might have a lot to say to my wife, in particular.

Edit: apologies MS... I'm not sure why I got you two confused there...

[ April 08, 2004, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: The Digital Man ]

Posts: 26 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, my bad.

I shouldn't have assumed they were givens...I would consider physical abuse and adultery okay reasons to divorce, if someone wanted to use them. I'm not sure I would, but I haven't been there yet.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course it's bad, even with spousal abuse. It's bad that somebody has to get divorced because of spusal abuse.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you're an idealistic child.

My folks were divorced when I was one. My husband & I divorced when our kids were 5, 3, and 1.

Divorce is not good. Sometimes staying together is worse, but divorce is not ever good. Everyone hurts.

But sometimes it is the lesser of two evils.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I started and abandonded several posts on the "Living Together" thread before I just decided I don't have anything to contribute there. So thanks for making this thread for me. [Smile]

I'm also a doormat prone to sudden bouts of anger. My parents' divorce stretched from when I was 14 until I was 21 and married myself. (They separated and reconciled a few times).

P.S. It was one of the ideas I kind of worked on a little for my third Landmark, but it's still really paralyzing for me.

[ April 08, 2004, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Mama, that article was interesting. What was interesting to me was that it didn't mention how LeAnn allowed herself be used, with explorations for why she did that.

Lots of truth in that article. Thanks for posting it.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I am forty.

In the past three years, no less than six of my very dear friends have gotten, or are in the process of getting, a divorce. it seems to be "the thing" at our age.

Each situation is different. No situation is less painful than another.

I would never presume to judge whether divorce is wrong. Ever. It is not easy, and it is not a cop-out. It is the pain of death, but with the person still alive. I hope and pray and work very hard not to ever have to experience that.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.