FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Unemployment Service

Author Topic: Hatrack Unemployment Service
Yank
Member # 2514

- posted      Profile for Yank   Email Yank         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Utah. Provo, actually. I just got back from being in Florida for two years, and I am thoroughly broke and unemployed. I have decent computer skills (I worked as a software tester before) and desperation in moderate quantity. So, I was seeking the advice of all you hyper-intelligent jatraqueros: How do I find a decent job- ASAP?
Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
And hey, if someone knows the answer, can you tell me too?

Anyone hiring for a software engineer?

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

*Sings a sad, sad ballad on the woes of unemployment, Soggy Bottom Boys style*
Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back Yank! [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

¡Muchisimas Gracias!
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Yank, if I recall correctly, my sister works at a convergys down there (she goes to UVSC). Call center, actually. I work at the one in Murray. Good benefits. Tuition reimburstment being my number 1 favorite. I work at 9 bucks an hour.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you a BYU student? You might want to check the listings at jobs.byu.edu. I hate to tell you this, but you're only one amidst teeming hordes of computer people in Provo. It'll probably be pretty hard to get a computer-related job here unless you've got a degree or connections. Though if I hear of anything, I'll let you know.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear India is hiring.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
No way. It's been two years already? You know you've been around here a while when you remember Yank getting his mission call and leaving on his mission. Welcome back, Yank!

Look up at the northwest side of the Nu Skin highrise in downtown Provo sometime, and maybe I'll be waving. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Yank -- this is Patrick.

**burninates Yank**

Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

I don't go back to school into the fall, so I'd have to be hired on as a non-student. Muy difícil, este. I'm well aware that computer skills are nigh-on-useless in the valley. So is my Spanish. ¡Así es el problema!
Yank
Member # 2514

What's with all this promiscuous alias-changing?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently you've missed a lot in two years, Yank. Pat is synonymous with promiscuous alias-changing.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
http://linuxnetworx.com/company/employment.php

Worth a try, looks like they have an opening for a software tester. They occasionally have assembly jobs too, where you would be putting together computers.

For a broader range try deseretnews.com classifieds online. That is how we got the job that got us here to Utah.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

I've looked in the classifieds a bit, but I'm basically just an unskilled worker. I'm afraid they don't generally advertise for my ilk.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you willing to get the heck out of Utah?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Yank, you could always apply at a local movie theater. They generally don't pay much, but the work is pretty easy.

*works at a drive in theater in Arizona*

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

Can't. I'm 21, broke, and already registered for BYU in the fall. Besides, that would be a bit precipitous after only a few days of job-hunting. Oh, and I get a tuition break at BYU since my dad is on faculty; BYU is cheaper for me than almost any other university, and certainly any other private school.

I promise I'm not trying to shoot peoples suggestions down! I really do appreciate the input. I just want to make sure you know the situation.

Yank
Member # 2514

Hey, the movie theater thing might be an idea. There's loads of them around here. Mormon college town. (The niche usually occupied by bars in the college-town ecology are taken by theaters and ice-cream parlors.)
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
The Deseret News is always in need of guys like you to do scoreboarding shifts. It's mainly compiling scores for the paper and the internet, laying them out, and on several occassions, writing up prep/college sporting events.
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said movie theaters don't pay all that much, but it's easy work. I don't know how much theaters in Utah pay, but I'm making $5.35 an hour. Of course, once i've been there 90 days, I'll get a raise.

Most of them are pretty flexible with scheduling, so you should be able to work the job around school if you plan to keep working once you start.

Good luck.

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

quote:
The Deseret News is always in need of guys like you to do scoreboarding shifts. It's mainly compiling scores for the paper and the internet, laying them out, and on several occassions, writing up prep/college sporting events.
Could you possibly give me information on how to go about looking into that? I would give you lots of eternal gratitude, because I'm broke and I can't afford to buy you a drink. Maybe a water at Wendy's.....

[ April 12, 2004, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Yank ]

Yank
Member # 2514

*bump* before I leave the computer.
Yank
Member # 2514

*bump* as I am still unemployed and seeking the vast wisdom of Hatrack.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.