FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Do you believe in ghosts?

Author Topic: Do you believe in ghosts?
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Or other contact with the previously alive? This was just occuring to me in the Hillary and Hatch posthumous thread (ah, that almost sounds like my ideal future!).

Suneun said that there is a possibility of posthumous baptism having the same effect as expelling poltergeist. Now it took a long time for me to read this as anything except the inevitable result of food poisoning.

But then it sank in. Poltergeists? Who here believes in this stuff?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DOG
Member # 5428

- posted      Profile for DOG   Email DOG         Edit/Delete Post 
Not me.
Posts: 121 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kraid
Member # 6302

- posted      Profile for Kraid   Email Kraid         Edit/Delete Post 
I somewhat believe in ghost/spirits/poltergeists whatever you want to call 'em. Being a mormon, I believe that there are billions of spirits roaming the earth influencing us in bad and good ways. Whether they're of the devil or of god.
Posts: 20 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
(unsurprisingly) I believe in the possibility of 'ghost' by which I mean a functioning being after death that can interact with this world.

Course, I also believe in the possibility of non-consciousness at death, but I'm not as fond of that hypothesis.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
The spirit of my uncle was seen by several children at his funeral. He also came and comforted my mother when her dog died.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe in spirits. I just do. I think that they can influence some things on Earth.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that anyone is in agreement over what the heck ghosts are. The common usage is all over the map!
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe in spirits, but I'm not allowed to act upon that belief until after my 21st birthday.

[ April 12, 2004, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Da Goat: [Laugh]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

- posted      Profile for Yank   Email Yank         Edit/Delete Post 
If you put it that way then yes, I do.
Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe in giant white bunny rabbits that are invisible to everyone but me.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

- posted      Profile for Yank   Email Yank         Edit/Delete Post 
Do they eat people?
Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, is your giant bunny rabbit friend named Harvey?
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about that, Bob.

Harvey and I meet and discuss contintental philosphy over fresh-made carrot juice [juiced with half an apple and a slice of ginger] all the time.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple years ago, at night Dad and I woke up and saw a spirit in our rooms looking around, we told each other in the morning, a few hours later when my father was talking to our neighbor, we found out the funeral of the original owner of the house was that day. Having experience a ghost first hand...I have to believe in them, though not as good or bad things.

Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Okay, well the nearest thing I had to interacting with the "previously living" is that once I thought I left a bottle of dish soap on the windowsill above the sink, and then it turned out it was on the counter right by the sink. But I was feeling so worried at the time I called in sick to work and took the Metro into D.C. and went to the monuments.

I guess my mom thinks she saw the spirit of her baby after she died (the spirit was an adult looking personage.) But when I was in the same situation I thought that I was going to be appointed Secretary of the interior. So I... guess I don't think she lied, or necessarily that she was crazy. I just don't think I could handle it. Maybe not believing in ghosts, not seeing them, takes the greater act of willfulness.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd really like to see a ghost. Or an alien, or Sasquatch.

But my life is too mundane, or sumpin. [Dont Know]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I became a ghost in the The Temple of Ana Kata
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

eslaine, how can you expect to see the sasquatch until you become willing to be the sasquatch?

P.S. Those who believe in ghosts, do you believe there are effective and duplicatible methods of getting rid of them? I'm so worried I'm going to get haunted as a result of this thread. I picked the wrong day to give up chocolate.

[ April 12, 2004, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe the spirits of dead people come to earth and influence things. I believe once we die our spirits then either join with the saints in heaven or go to hell.

I do however, believe in the spirit world, and in the spiritual beings we commonly call angels and demons. I believe they most definitely influence our world.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe, but then again, i also think that if i try hard enough, i might be able to bend a spoon with my mind. *takes spoon out of soup and stares*
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had some pretty wacky and fairly inexplicable things happen around me. I generally don't like to talk about it, even years later it freaks me out.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Apooche
Member # 6384

- posted      Profile for Apooche   Email Apooche         Edit/Delete Post 
I beleive in ghosts. I think they live pretty average lives somewhere out there. When they die their body (a kind of sollid lookingish type thing) comes and inhabbits a soul here. They are souls, just as we are bodies. Only very few of them can see eachothers bodies, they mostly just look like a soul. When we see ghosts, we are seeing souls of dead people who couldn't find the place where ghosts live. We could also see people yet unborn, who just died in Ghost-land and are about to find a body to live in.

Ghosts might even spend some time discussing if humans really exist, as they live in a world oposite to ours. I know its confusing, but its how *I* think it works and thats the best I can explain it. Please don't hunt ghosts because they are innocent and haven't found their way to Ghostland yet and shuold be symmpathised with not hated. Im going to beleive this unless sollid evidence proves me rong, and I beleive that you should do the same with your own theory.

Whatever you do, don't discriminate people over their veiws. Remember, even if you have a strong beleif, you could be rong. Don't assume that you are correct, as I will not do so with myself.

Posts: 33 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
For those who don't recall, Harvey is actually a pooka.

And now, to answer the real question in the thread, I guess I believe in ghosts because I've smelled one.

I can't really begin to explain it, but there was a scent that wafted through my room. Very pleasant smelling woman's perfume actually. Since I didn't have any perfume in the house at the time, being single, it was clearly not from any source of mine. Now, it's possible that one of my next-door neighbors had dropped a huge bottle of Chanel or something, but the scent was very localized. I could sort of wade through it in my room.

Weird.

I get chills just thinking about it.

For weeks after my first dog died, I could sense her presence. It was probably just because I was so used to having her around. The feeling gradually faded to just missing her all the time because she was sort of always there and now there was a big void. So I guess I can't really count that experience as seeing a ghost.

My grandmother reportedly used to hang around various of my cousin's houses after she died. Sort of creepy, really, because she could be a holy terror when the mood struck her. But apparently she just sort of stood around watching. I never saw her. Well, once I thought I did, but I wasn't sure. So I don't count that one.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

- posted      Profile for JohnKeats           Edit/Delete Post 
Apooch, I love your theory. Can I write a story with it? Please??

To the question:

Yeah, I guess I believe in ghosts. I say that with a rather nebulous definition of what exactly a 'ghost' is... mostly because I'm no longer dogmatic enough to label my unknowns.

I know a lot of really great people who claim to have experienced paranormal activities. And I'd say it's fair to guess that millions of people around the world do the same every year. While not having identified any singular 'other' entity in my own experience, I am inclined to believe that some portion of these occurances are explainable and that a sizable portion of them are not. For me, believing that those millions--all family members and friends--of regular, decent people are having their earthly existence infringed upon by expressively evil creatures from the god-realm (and millions of angels as well, doing their angel things) would be accepting a world where human beings are the subjects of supernatural predators.

Not my thing.

I prefer to give most people the benefit of the doubt and be open to new information or experiences that could help me come to whatever conclusions I'll eventually make, if any.

Posts: 4350 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, i've met one, even had sex with one...oh wait, I thought you said goats. [ROFL]
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

[Roll Eyes] [No No]
Apooche, Mormons also believe in premortal spirits and pre spirit something elses. But rather than their coming here being termed their death, I've heard of our death being called another birth. Maybe that sounds trite. But you know how it seems like a baby in the womb must be so confined? Maybe that's what being mortal is like compared with what may come after.

vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
"P.S. Those who believe in ghosts, do you believe there are effective and duplicatible methods of getting rid of them? I'm so worried I'm going to get haunted as a result of this thread. I picked the wrong day to give up chocolate."

What's the worst thing they can do to you, kill you? Then you will become a ghost and kick that other ghost's ass. [Razz]

P.S. I so got that Pooka reference. [Cool]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Not only do I not believe in ghosts, I find the belief in ghosts to be laughably ludicrous. It sets off every single one of my cringe-inducing skepticism meters.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Your definition -- ghosts = someone previously alive (first post).

But that definition, I don't believe in ghosts.

I do, however, believe in spirits (good and bad). I do not believe they were formerly people.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not believe in ghosts. But then again, I don't believe in most "devine" experiences, either. I think both ghosts and the "holy spirit" are manifestations of internal desires and/or attempts to explain odd occurances. I think there is a reason most ghost experiences happen in situations where one's senses are not at their best (dark, spooky, late at night, when you're alone, when you just wake up in the middle of the night, etc), and I think it's the same reason that most people's most intense religious experiences come in conjuction with highly emotional or stressful events, or religiously inspired altered states (like intense fasting, fervent prayer, chanting, charismatic gatherings, etc.)
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty skeptical of the idea of ghosts, but I don't rule out the possibility that they exist. I have seen some things that seem to me to defy conventional explanation.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kinda neutral towards ghosts. I've never seen any good evidence for them or met anyone who has, but I've heard claims and I can't say I have any refutation for them.

I don't consider it a vital issue to take a position on though, considering it has virtually no impact on anything relevant to me. [Wink]

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe in that one Christmas Future ghost. That guy's a total tool.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe in ghosts. I don't believe in UFO's. I don't believe in Bigfoot or Nessie. I don't believe in ESP, telekinesis, auras, fortune telling, clairvoyance, astral projection or past lives.

I am actually a huge skeptic, for someone with deep-seated spiritual beliefs.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no spoon.

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Well, I had a really creepy night but I feel pretty good today. Tomorrow should be interesting, as my brain regulates to this no sugar no chocolate thing. Though I accidentally put some honey on my bread yesterday. My husband is trying to do it too, and he claimed he already had a headache yesterday.
Fishtail
Member # 3900

- posted      Profile for Fishtail   Email Fishtail         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that there is a possibility that there are ghosts, and even had a friend who was a physics major explain some energy theory to me that sounded like a plausible explanation for their existence. Unfortunately my memory and technical ability don't allow me to reproduce that argument...I wish I could remember!
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Although I don't know how my religious beliefs can be compatible with the existence of ghosts, several members of my stepfamily (who mostly share those beliefs) tell me that an apparition of a woman appeared in my middle stepsister's bedroom during a period when they were living in a used trailer. They moved out of that trailer as soon as possible and have never bought a used home since. Apparently it was a very frightening experience.

I have always been a skeptic myself, but my skepticism is eroding. I have met too many people who have been freaked out by an apparent encounter with psychic abilities or phenomena.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew a fellow once who claimed to have a "spirit" friend who apparently let him watch other people and other places. He also tried to teach me how to see other people's auras(sp?).

I knew another guy who claimed that lights would flicker whenever he entered a room in his house.

Finally, my one old roommate told the story of how a few friends of his were hanging out at his old house when they heard the piano being played upstairs and nobody else was there.

I think they were all full of crap. [Roll Eyes]

Don't get me wrong, I think they all believed themselves -- but I'm pretty sure the explanation for the three are 1) a troubled childhood/mental problems, 2) bad wiring and a tendency to exagerate, and 3) an ---hole who had to come up with a story to top everybody else.

Now, I do believe in "the supernatural" -- but not in ghosts. I'd really like to sometimes. But I don't.

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.