FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » In dire need of a roommate...

Author Topic: In dire need of a roommate...
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
All my searching has resulted in nothing, so I'm returning here even though I doubt I'll get a response.

If anyone who posts here needs a place to live in Philadelphia starting in August, or if you know someone who does, please contact me. I would preferably like a male roommate, as they will be sharing a room with me, but I'm getting to the point where even that isn't an issue.

My email is morse@temple.edu and my AIM name is TheFifthBiz

I don't really anticipate anyone responding, but it's worth one more shot.

In any case, thanks for listening to my stressing. [Smile]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand. I spent the last month looking for an apartment in Providence. In the beginning, I wanted the cheapest possible at an okay size. Then I started caring about having the best size at an okay price, no matter where. Then I realized that I didn't want to live in problem neighborhoods so I started looking for okay size at steeper prices in safe neighborhoods.

After somewhere between 25-30 apartments, I picked one this last weekend. It's smallish (the living room is 10' by 12', the kitchen is 8' by 12', and the bedroom is 10' by 11', but it's a reasonable price for a 1 bedroom and it's cute/pretty/clean. It's $725 including heat (Oct 1 - May 1) and hot water.

I keep poking around online just for fun, (or habit) seeing what other places are starting to become available. You've been using craigslist?

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

I don't know what craigslist is. But I'm not looking for an apartment. I have an apartment and two female roommates. What I need is one male roommate so we can split the rent four ways.
My current roommate kind of screwed me over by agreeing to room with some other people next year when I thought we'd be rooming together again. Guess it serves me right for just assuming something.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Here you go:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/roo/

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

Craig's list is an incredible free community, mainly extensive classifieds. Craig started it in the mid 90's as a mailing list, and it evovled into a website. The Bay Area craigslist is probably the largest, but there are craigslists for most of the major cities in the US.

There's a "rooms and shares" section to post looking for roommates. You'd have to do a lot of weeding, but it's probably worth it.

Craigslist is awesome, and it just started in my town a few months ago.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you weren't on the wrong side of philly and I didn't already have a couple of people to live with I might be interested.

Hope you find someone.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

Hah! What do you mean by the wrong side of Philly?

And if I can talk you into leaving your current roommates, I'll make it worth your while...I mean, isn't it obvious. The apartment is going to have a kitchen, and I'm a fat man. If anyone is eating good it'll be me and my roommates. [Wink] [Big Grin]

HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
you go to temple, right? I go to drexel. Last i checked, they're not exactly across the street from each other.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dreamwalker
Member # 4189

- posted      Profile for Dreamwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
*idle curiosity* Suneun $725 a what? week/fortnight/ or the entire period you mentioned Oct-May? And, if I may be so rude, what proportion of your income would that be? What sort of rents are about average? What is usually included in your rent? You mentioned hot water and heating anything else?
Posts: 141 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

heh.

$725 a month. Comes with water, heat*, basement storage, and two parking spots. I pay for electricity, telephone, etc.

I'm a student, so I don't have an income to base it on.
I'll be living near the East Side, which is a reasonably nice area of Providence. 1 bedrooms range between $700-$1200 a month. a 3 bedroom might be somewhere between $1200-1800 a month.

If you go to the West or South sections of Providence, you enter areas of roughly 30% below poverty line (Providence is Poor). Then you can get a 2-bedroom for $700-$900.

Does that make sense? I'm estimating based on the numbers I've seen in the last month while apartment shopping. Rents have increased a decent amount in the last few years. You can always find really cheap and really expensive stuff in the good and bad neighborhoods, though. It's not unheard of to pay $350/mo on the East Side when you're splitting a large house and no utilities are included. Or a tiny house. Heh.

* I'll be renting from June 1st onwards (for 3 years, maybe). By law, the landlord must have the heat on between the months of Oct 1st to the end of April. The landlord can legally turn off the heat after that.

[ April 14, 2004, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: Suneun ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.