FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Clue Me In On The Google Ads

Author Topic: Clue Me In On The Google Ads
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

- posted      Profile for JohnKeats           Edit/Delete Post 
Several posts over the last few weeks have referenced google ads at the bottom of a thread. I can never see them.

Not that this upsets me, but somebody please tell me whether I'm blind, insane, or just have a smarter browser than everyone else.

Posts: 4350 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
If you tell us your Browser, we'll tell you if it's smart =)

If I used iCab, I wouldn't see them.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

Pshh. I use IE 6.0, what else? Am I not seeing them because of my google-powered popup blocker? How ironic would that be....
Posts: 4350 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea why you aren't seeing them. They aren't pop-ups, they're just down at the very bottom of the page.
Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
They're on every page, threads, main, or posting, if you scroll to the very bottom after the page loads completely. At least, they are for me.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
They bug me.
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

I see:

Contact Us \ Hatrack River Homepage

Powered by Infopop Corporation
UBB Classic 6.3.1.2

JohnKeats
Member # 1261

In fact, I'm pretty sure I don't get google ads when I use Hatrack on my home computer, either.

[ April 13, 2004, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: JohnKeats ]

Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
No that you mention it, I am noticing that I don't get the ads at work, but I do get them at home...strange...
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I get them at home (pc -- mozilla firebird) and at work (mac -- safari). I don't get any popups on either of those browsers, but these Google ads appear. Its just a little box below the UBB Classic.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to blocking pop-ups, do you have an ad blocker? I used to, and simply saw blank spaces where ads would be. Lost it in the crash, though -- but I don't care much about them. I rarely scroll down far enough to see the ads here, and I honestly don't visit all that many websites anyway -- Pweb, Ornery, Nauvoo, Sakeriver, GreNME, Homestar Runner -- they don't have ads, do they?

I guess I really don't pay that much attention.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
do you have javascript disabled? If it is you won't see them.
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
if you don't want to see them ever go to windows\system32\drivers\etc\ and add
code:
127.0.0.1  pagead2.googlesyndication.com

to the host file.

Personally, since I'd like to see this site continue to exist, i'd advocate clicking on them occasionally. You don't have to buy anything just follow the link for it to count for hatrack.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I love how the Google ad at the bottom of this thread is to ad-blocking products [Smile]

Speaking of having disabled javascript, um ... how do you ENable it, if it's disabled? There are a lot of cool website features that just plain don't work on my computer at home, and I think they're all java-related ... I'm guessing that I may have somehow inadvertently switched it off.

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.