FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » WMASS Picnic: We had a blast, despite the rain! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: WMASS Picnic: We had a blast, despite the rain!
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
you should probablt apoligise to JeniWren even more so, for wishing me to her...lol
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GradStudent
Member # 5088

- posted      Profile for GradStudent   Email GradStudent         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm much more of a lurker than a poster, but I might come.
Posts: 134 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Sat prob works better for some of the Providence clump.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Where are you, GradStudent?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

All are welcome, of course. More the merrier!

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Saturday works better for me, too. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Any of you Bostonians going to NoreasCon? Terry Pratchett is a guest of honor and George Martin will be there, too (and Robert Silverberg, Larry Niven, Anne McCaffrey, and more).

I think I'll stick around on the East coast for a bit after pawning off....err, tearfully parting ways with Kama, and if I didn't have to wander around WorldCon by my lonesome, that would be even cooler.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew I was just a toy for you.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Relax. I haven't even got to play with you yet.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

When is that Nereascon? And where is it?

Kwea

Frisco
Member # 3765

Noreascon
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Kwea,
I can help you out if you need help. I will be back from Phoenix by then.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I will post the final date this Monday. It is the weekend of my fathers birthday, and i want to double-check with my parents this Sat that I won't be ruining any plans.

Definitely this Monday.

I am ALWAYS open to offers of help. I'll let you know more this Monday, and we will reserve the sites next week, providing that they let you this much in advance.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Yes, get sites now, especially for weekends.
Kwea
Member # 2199

OK, I know it's not Monday yet, but lets go with Sat Aug 21st.....JenniK will be able to go then, probably.

So I will call Look Park this weekend and get the info, and post it here. I know Look Park charges per car at the gate, not per person, so car pooling is a good choice. However it is a small per car fee, so it shouldn't break the bank for anyone.

Please tell everyone this date, and have them post here. I don't need a head count, but it would be nice to know who is coming and who just wishes they could... [Big Grin]

Kwea

Kwea
Member # 2199

Bump
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Kwea,
What if it rains? The pavilions are really expensive, and they will literally come over and kick you out of them, even if they are empty. The Look Park Police have gotten friendlier over the years, but they are still a bit militant.

I could bring our screenhouse. It is fairly easy to set up,and we could put it right over the picnic table.

Also, I will be bringing my kids(7 and 10). Anyone else?

Kwea
Member # 2199

My sister-in-law will probrbly bring her kids, and if she isn't coming then Jenni and I will probably bring them anyway. They are fairly young, somewhere around ages 9, 8, and 6.

The tent sounds like a good idea, as we are having the picnic rain or shine at this point. I can always rent one at Talyor Rental as well in case we need more than one. I will look into the pavillions, but if they are as expensive as you say then I won't bother.

Anyone else planning on bringing kids? My mom and dad will probably be there, as it is my dad's birthday. We didn't have any plans, so i told them to come up and join us.

Kwea

Kama
Member # 3022

*raises hand*

Edit:

Er, no, I'm not bringing kids. But I'm coming. Um.

[ June 18, 2004, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

http://www.iheg.com/iron_horse_presents_main.asp

This is what is playing at the Pines Theater. ooh, the Saw Doctors are playing the next day, Sunday. Too bad it isn't the 21st.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Kwea,
It just so happens that I had to take my kids to a Girl Scout Picnic today at Look Park. We set up day camp at sites 13 A, B, and C> Beautiful site right next to the river.(I was thinking of the Mackstress and her camera, which will be fixed by then)

Also, the small pavilions ar only 35 dollars! It was the biggies that were so expensive. There are still some open for August, I believe.

Liz

Kwea
Member # 2199

SUnday doen't really work well for Jenni and me, or most of the Boston/RI clump. Too bad,I would like to hear the Saw Doctors there, it is a pretty cool place for a concert.

I think getting a pavilion would be the way to go, but I would like a site near the water park for the kids. That way the kids can go back and forth themselves between the WP and the sites without walking too far.

I did have a site near the river once, and it is very pretty. If we can't get a site near the WP then I'll probably get one near the river.

Thanks for the heads-up on the sites though. I plan on going up there this Monday, or maybe on Thursday right before i leave for Michigan for our vacation.

Kwea

[ June 19, 2004, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Kwea,
There is a small pavilion right smack dab between both water park and playground.

Kwea
Member # 2199

I am going up there tommorrow to check it out; JenniK and I don't work on Mondays.

Wamt to come with us? We will be up there around noon or one in the afternoon, so if you are free (or free enough) perhaps we could go out for lunch.

Kwea

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Kwea,
I have to go to work all this week and clear out of one classroom and into another. Is your email on your profile? We could get together another time. We are so close, and if I met you both, I could be REAL!! Ha ha.

Kwea
Member # 2199

KweaSr@msn.com

Sounds good to me.... [Big Grin]

KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know how far is the drive from Baltimore? Is there an address for the park so I could Mapquest it?
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yeah, it is about 7 hours or so. If you wanted to make it an overnight trip there are some very inexpensive hotels/motels along the rout 5 corridor, about 15 min from the park, that are clean and well maintained. Knights Inn is about $55 a night, and there are a number of others from that price up. Also, Six Flags New England is in Agawam ( a nearby town), so if you like amusment parks you could do that on Sunday.

Boston is about 1 1/2 hours away as well, and you would be passing right by NYC as well. God knows that there are plenty of things to do there.

I am going up to Look Park right now, and I'll post the info when I get back.

Here's the web site for it again....I think the address is right there on it. Also, I will be posting simple directions as we get close to the date.

Look Park

Kwea

Kwea
Member # 2199

OK, we have a site for the picnic.

Elizabeth, who told you the small pavilions are $35? Shoot them before they lie to you again. Try $185 on the weekend.

So Jenni and I went to Look Park this afternoon, and we had a blast looking at sites and playing mini-golf. We talked to the girls behind the desk, and we payed for the site today, so the picnic is a go for August 21ST! We got site 15, with 4 tables that hold 10 each, and 2 grills.

The site is on a small island that they call Potato Island, and it is right behind the water park and the store, and right next to a volleyball court, a playground set, and bathrooms.

Across the street is a HUGE open field where we can play Frisbee and fly kites, and play wiffleball or kickball with the kids. A short walk away is a small zoo and the train ride for the kids, and tennis courts.

Also, there is a small mini-golf course; not a great one, but 18 small holes.

Potato Island has 2 small foot bridges for access, and is surrounded by the river, one side by the fast moving water that all the kids like to play in. Very pretty, and shady too.

I asked about the pavilions, but they were outrageous; but we are allowed to put up tarps and tents if the weather won't cooperate.

It is $4 to enter the park, per car. You get a sticker, so you can leave and re-enter at will all day long.

Kwea

[ July 07, 2004, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Nice job. Did you get the site with the grill that looks like a fireplace? That one was next to site 13A,B,C.

I thought that 35 dollar price sounded WAY off, even for a weekday. Ah, well. I will bring the screenhouse. I will not be able to be thre until after one, though, as I just found out the kids have a library party that morning.

Kwea
Member # 2199

It is near that, but I didn't look at the grills to tell you the truth, because there was a large family picnic at that site. It might be, as it's in that area. I just saw where 15 a,b,c &d was, and the area it was in, and took a look at the other sires that were still available.....15 ABCD is the best one, so we payed for it today...that way it is all taken care of, and we can't forget to send the money or anything else stupid like that... [Razz]

Kwea

[ June 22, 2004, 02:19 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Thank you for doing that. Kwea.
Kwea
Member # 2199

My pleasure!

So, time for an updated list...who is going to be there, now that we have a set date?

Suneun
Member # 3247

It's two months away!

I'll probably be there. But things can always come up ;P

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Better be, dammit! Why do you think we decided on Aug?

I seem to remember SOMEONE saying..."Aug is better for the RI clump"... [Big Grin]

[Taunt]

[ July 07, 2004, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Suneun
Member # 3247

I don't think I said that. I think I jus' said that after my exam would be better fer me [Wink]

oh and i put in the sat than sun.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Well, it is on a Sat, and in Aug...what more could you want??? [Big Grin]

I hope you can make it, Suneun, but if not life goes on....

Just think of all the bad puns there will be...wait, that might be a reason to stay away... [Smile]

Kwea
Member # 2199

::shameless bump::
Kwea
Member # 2199

::Again::

Will someone please keep this active while I am gone? I'll be in MI until July7 th, and I want people to know about the date, and to leave posts if they have any questions.

KarlEd, do you think that you and Chris will be in the area? Or were you kidding?

Kwea

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
21st sounds good to me! I'll be sure to get that day off from jobs/internships/whatnot. [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yeah, Myr is going to be there! Who else?

As far as I remember, here is my list:

Kwea
JenniK
Myr
Suneun (if she can)
Bok and "guest"
Elizabeth and 2 children
Mack and Hot_N
Sarahandipdy (if in town)
Javert
Dragon
Kama
GradStudent (maybe)
KarlEd (if he is insane enough to drive it)
My mother-in-law and 3 grandkids

Anyone else? Of course, my family will be there, adn some of our friends too, so anyone and everyone is welcome.

Kwea

[ August 19, 2004, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Elizabeth and two children(girl, 10 and boy,just 8)
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
T_Smith will be coming with me. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

ANd will you two be attending the picnic as well? [Evil Laugh]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Kwea,
Didn't you get a spot by the river? I can see Mack and HotN sneaking off. We will have to post guards.

Kwea
Member # 2199

I volunteer you as one... [Big Grin]

[ July 06, 2004, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

mackillian
Member # 586

[ROFL]
Kwea
Member # 2199

See? She is already rolling around by herself, just thinking about it.... [Evil]
Kama
Member # 3022

If you took the info only from this thread, then that guest of Bok's is me.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I will arm my children with buckets of cold water, and post them on the wall by the river. There will be no hanky panky on our watch!
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.