FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Video Game Programming Creativity

Author Topic: Video Game Programming Creativity
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
http://theprodukkt.com/

In-credible. A whole game in at under 100k. Very cool.

Pros:
  • Shows the capabilities of programming fully utilizing Microsoft's DirectX APIs. Totally meaningless to those who don't care about programming, instructive to those who like seeing a good example of optimal use of what's available.
  • The game is simple, but good. I don't even like first-person-shooters, but this game has the basics that make it at least marginally fun.
  • Short but sweet. Not only is it fun, but it gets to the point—follow the course and shoot everything.
Cons:
  • Windows-only. That limits the audience ("only" 95% of the market [Wink] ). However, to further limit it...
  • Has high system requirements. Anything that hasn't been made within the last two years won't be able to play it.
  • It's small in size on the hard drive because it's a totally memory-resident game. Not exactly a totally bad thing, but it's a bit misleading stating that the whole game is 96k.
Check it out. I'm curious what others think.

[edit] I am not interested in this because I want to program games. I think it's neat, but I have other reasons for learning how to program. I just think this is neat (Hobbes should like this).

[ April 18, 2004, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: John L ]

Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
There must not be much in the way of texture variety for it to come in at 96kb. That's impressive, because it looks decent.

[ April 18, 2004, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
From my own memory playing it once, there are plenty of textures, full shading and lighting, music, and sound effects. I mean, it was all D-x stuff, so it's limited to the available DirectX capabilities.
Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
DX includes textures of its own? I didn't know that.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea if it does, but you can make textures on the fly. Or make them on load an then just use them. look through this for some examples of things.

there are other ways too that he doesn't talk about there.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
it woulkd seem to be inspired by or related to the work of these guys. Watch FR-08, "The Product", first, especially watch the end scroller... then you can watch the more intricate demos and be really impressed. Amazing what these guys can do with 64k.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
I've played the beta, and it's awesome, very tight code. The only thing they cheated on was importing Arial and Times New Roman, but you can't tell because it's put through so much filtering you can't tell unless you knew about it already, though the AI is rather lacking but what can you expect with a game that's 97k (and compresssed down to 96k)? Tis quite impressive.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having issues with my computer and seem to be unable to play the game (though it did download and open). However, I'm always impressed by this stuff, whenver I program 3D all I know is OpenGL, and I use the SDL API interface so the .dlls alone put anything I do over 1MB.

[Embarrassed]

Ohh, and Jim.... *cough*

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frameshifter
Member # 2967

- posted      Profile for Frameshifter           Edit/Delete Post 
A Whirlwind Tutorial on Creating Really Teensy ELF Executables for Linux (kinda related)

Ken Perlin's Homepage which has a whole bunch of neat stuff on it. Some of it even related to procedural textures.

Pov-Ray's docs also contains a bit on procedural textures.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes,

will e-mail with a few details when I get home.

hang in there...

Jim

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.