FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dagonee's Mindless Exam Crunch Project (One to Go) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Dagonee's Mindless Exam Crunch Project (One to Go)
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I need a mindless project to keep me sane during exam/paper crunch and I’ve settled on trying to compile a list of one movie quote for each of the 50 states. The quote should have the state name and imply something about the state in a witty fashion.

If anyone can come up with any more, I’ll add them to the list as soon as I can confirm the quote, movie title, and name(s) of the character(s). If there are multiple nominations per state, we can argue vehemently about which one should be selected, and then I’ll just pick the one I like best. [Smile]

Dagonee

Here’s the current, fully validated list: The links take you to dialog. Some of the dialog is from R-rated movies. Don’t click if this might offend you.

Alabama
Forrest Gump: You know what I think? I think you should go back to Greenbow, Alabama!
Forrest Gump contributed by mackillian

Alaska
Sam McCord: George, a wonderful thing about Alaska is that matrimony hasn't hit up here yet. Let's keep it a free country!
North To Alaska contributed by rivka

Arizona
Rod Tidwell: I'm from Arizona Jerry! I broke Arizona records! I went to Arizona State! I'm a Sun Devil, man!
Jerry Maguire: And now you want Arizona dollars?
Rod Tidwell: Exaaaacctly!
Jerry Maguire contributed by rivka

Arkansas
Anthony Cortino: I'm not my father, Diane, just like you're not your father. If we were our fathers, what we did last night would only be legal in Arkansas.
Jane Austen's Mafia! contributed by rivka

California
Lex Luthor: We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.
Superman contributed by rivka

Colorado
Angela: So, what's this for?
[showing Jack his gun]
Jack: It's uh... it's for shark fishing.
Angela: Shark fishing... with a silencer?
Jack: Yeah. You certainly seem to know your ordinance.
Angela: Colorado. You grow up with guns.
The Net contributed by rivka

Connecticut
Gus: Connecticut is the fifth ring of hell.
The Ref contributed by Javert

Delaware
Rosie: Maryland's a beautiful state.
Marco: (Looking away) This is Delaware.
Rosie: I know.
The Manchurian Candidate contributed by Teshi

Florida
Albert: Oh yes... Coldeman. The "d" is silent in America. It's Cole D'Isle au Man, or Cole of the Isle of Man, in France, where Armand's chateau is, Cold-e-man in Greece where Armand's work is, and finally the vulgar Coleman in Florida where Armand's home is, so actually, we don't know where we are until we hear our last name pronounced! Ahahahahahahaaaaa!
The Birdcage contributed by Happy Camper

Georgia
Maj. Demming: I think that I would rather live in the rottenest pigsty in Tennessee or Alabama than the fanciest mansion in all of Georgia. How about that?
No Time for Sergeants contributed by Rappin’ Ronnie Reagan

Hawaii
Sheriff: You folks are from Hawaii and you came to L.A. on your honeymoon?
Herschel: Yeah. One day we just got sick of living in paradise.
Quick contributed by Coccinelle

Idaho
Chris: Could you just drop us off at a mall or something?
Joe Gipp: A mall? Where do you think we are Boise, Idaho?
Adventures in Babysitting contributed by Rohan

Illinois
Elwood: Illinois Nazis...
Jake: I hate Illinois Nazis.
Blues Brothers

Indiana
Laurel: Say, when you were in Egypt, did you happen to see the Eifel Tower?
Hardy: Stanley, The Eiffel Tower is not in Egypt...it's in Indiana!
The All New Adventures of Laurel & Hardy: For Love or Mummy contributed by rivka

Iowa
Shoeless Joe: Is this heaven?
Ray: No, it's Iowa.
Field of Dreams contributed by vwiggen

Kansas
Josey Wales: Yeah, well, I always heard there were three kinds of suns in Kansas: sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches.
Outlaw Josey Wales, The contributed by Farmgirl

Kentucky
Cher: Josh and I just both fell in love with each other, and next happened...
[shows a couple about to wed]
Cher: AS IF. Besides I'm only 16 and this is California, not Kentucky.
Clueless contributed by Beren One Hand

Louisiana
Bill Brousard: This is Louisiana, chief! I mean, how do you know who your daddy is? Because your mama told you so?
JFK contributed by vwiggin

Maine
Kelly Scott: I don't do field and even if I did... Maine? I'm allergic to timber!
Lake Placid contributed by Happy Camper (The whole .wav file is worth listening to.)

Maryland
Ann Langhorne: Who are those tough looking men?
Brett Langhorne: The big one leaning against the post is Luke Johnson. They say he is an outlaw.
Ann Langhorne: Well, why isn't he in prison?
Brett Langhorne: This isn't Maryland, honey. This is the frontier. The last two marshals that went after Johnson are dead.
Frontier Pony Express contributed by rivka

Massachusetts
Dr. Henry Devlin: [Begins talking into the gun like it's a phone] Hello? Jonesy. Jesus Christ, I knew it was you. Where's he taking you? Massachusetts. He is? Duddits, OK... Jonesy, I will. You hang in there. Jonesy? Jonesy. He hung up...
Captain Owen Underhill: Give me back my gun.
Dreamcatcher

Michigan
Joe: What are you worried about? This job is going to last a long time.
Jerry: Suppose it doesn't?
Joe: Jerry, boy, why do you have to paint everything so black?
Jerry: Oh, please.
Joe: Suppose you got hit by a truck. Suppose the stock market crashes. Suppose Mary Pickford divorces Douglas Fairbanks. Suppose the Dodgers leave Brooklyn!
[Jerry notices the badge of an undercover agent at a nearby table.]
Jerry: Ah... Joe...
Joe: Suppose Lake Michigan overflows.
Jerry: Well don't look now, but the whole town is underwater!
Some Like It Hot contributed by rivka

Minnesota
President Thomas 'Tug' Benson: Here's the target area.
Bob Vila: That's Minnesota, sir.
President Thomas 'Tug' Benson: Damn it, man, that's the genius of my plan. Why go over there to fight? We can do it right here at home.
Bob Vila: Sir, the enemy is over there.
President Thomas 'Tug' Benson: Then we'll fly them over here. Their families too. We'll teach them to skate... Do I have to think of everything?
Hot Shots! Part Deux contributed by rivka

Mississippi
Delmar O'Donnell: But they was witnesses that seen us redeemed.
Ulysses Everett McGill: That's not the issue Delmar. Even if that did put you square with the Lord, the State of Mississippi's a little more hard-nosed.
O Brother, Where Art Thou? contributed by rivka

Missouri
Mayor: There's a saying in Missouri, if you don't like the weather just wait five minutes. In Blaine, with hard work, I think we can get that down to three or four minutes.
Waiting for Guffman contributed by Coccinelle

Montana
Vasili Borodin: Then I will live in Montana, and I will marry a round American woman and raise rabbits and she will cook them for me. And I will have a pickup truck, or a possibly even a recreational vehicle, and drive from state to state. Do they let you do that?
The Hunt for Red October contributed by Happy Camper

Nebraska
Little Bill Daggett: I heard that one myself, Bob. Hell, I even thought I was dead 'til I found out it was just that I was in Nebraska.
Unforgiven contributed by Coccinelle

Nevada
Geary: The Corleone family has done very well here in Nevada.
The Godfather, Part II contributed by Beren One Hand

New Hampshire
Adrian Cronauer: You know, you're very beautiful. You're also very quiet. And I'm not used to girls being that quiet unless they're medicated. Normally I go out with girls who talk so much you could hook them up to a wind turbine and they could power a small New Hampshire town.
Good Morning, Vietnam contributed by rivka

New Jersey
Banky: Well, *you're* in love. And you've both got your own monkey. What more could two guys from New Jersey want?
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back contributed by ClaudiaTherese

New Mexico
Ed Furillo: The three of us, New Mexico. We're going to drive cattle.
Mitch Robbins: What, like in a truck?
City Slickers contributed by rivka

New York
Sam Burns: You're a very rude young woman. I know Douglas from the Rotary and I can't believe he'd want you treating customers so badly.
Checkout Girl: I don't think I was treating her badly.
Sam Burns: Then you must be from New York.
Terms of Endearment contributed by ClaudiaTherese

North Carolina
Michael Jordan: Don't forget my North Carolina shorts.
Daffy Duck: (With lisp) Your shorts? From college?
Michael Jordan: I wore them under my Chicago Bulls uniform every game.
Space Jam contributed by rivka

North Dakota
Lil: Let me guess: Piedmont, North Dakota.
Violet: South Amboy, New Jersey.
Lil: Same thing.
Coyote Ugly contributed by Narnia

Ohio
Jason "J.D." Dean: Yeah, but this is Ohio. I mean, if you don't have a brewski in your hand, you might as well be wearing a dress.
Heathers

Oklahoma
Jerry Warriner: And if you get bored in Oklahoma City, you can always go over to Tulsa for the weekend!
The Awful Truth contributed by rivka (Doubly funny because of the title of the movie.)

Oregon
Barton Keyes: Have you made up your mind?
Jackson: Mr. Keyes, I'm a Medford man. Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds.
Barton Keyes: Well, we're not in Medford, we're in a hurry.
Double Indemnity contributed by sndrake

Pennsylvania
Jackie-O: Pennsylvania's just this state that's in your way when you want to get somewhere else.
House of Yes, The contributed by katharina

Rhode Island
Arthur: It's a very tiny country... Rhode Island could beat the crap out of it in a war.
Arthur contributed by Happy Camper

South Carolina
Private Joker: Paris Island, South Carolina. The Marine Corps Training Depot. An eight-week college for the stupid tough and the crazy brave.
Full Metal Jacket contributed by rivka.

South Dakota
Texas Jack Omohundro: You know what you're up against, American friend? The Ocean of Fire is not just a race. It's full of obstacles you can't even imagine. And if the elements don't kill you, your fellow riders will.
Frank T. Hopkins: Sounds an awful lot like South Dakota.
Hidalgo

Tennessee
H.I. McDonnough: I couldn't believe that a woman who looked as fertile as the Tennessee River Valley could bear no children, but the doctor explained that her insides were a rocky place, where my seed could find no purchase.
Raising Arizona contributed by my sweetie pie!

Texas
Kathy Morningside: Of course, he has a gun. This is Texas. Everybody has a gun. My florist has a gun.
Miss Congeniality contributed by Coccinelle.

Utah
Fletch: Sally Ann and Alan were married eight years ago, never divorced, making Stanwyck a bigamist, even in Utah.
Fletch

Vermont
[Abe and Abbie are discussing Abbie's mother.]
Abe: A woman her age is supposed to move to Florida. Who moves to Vermont?
Abbie: She likes the cold.
Abe: She should -- she invented it.
Memories of Me Contributed by rivka.

Virginia
Sheryl Yoast: In Virginia, high school football is a way of life, it's bigger than Christmas day. My daddy coached in Alexandria, he worked so hard my momma left him, but I stayed with coach, he needed me on that field.
Remember the Titans

Washington, D.C.
Robert Leffingwell: Son, this is a Washington, D.C. kind of lie. It's when the other person knows you're lying and also knows you know he knows.
Advise and Consent

West Virginia
Hannibal Lecter: You know what you look like to me, with your good bag and your cheap shoes? You look like a rube. A well scrubbed, hustling rube with a little taste. Good nutrition has given you some length of bone, but you're not more than one generation from poor white trash, are you, Agent Starling? And that accent you've tried so desperately to shed? Pure West Virginia. What's your father, dear? Is he a coal miner? Does he stink of the lamp? You know how quickly the boys found you... all those tedious sticky fumblings in the back seats of cars... while you could only dream of getting out... getting anywhere... getting all the way to the FBI.
The Silence of the Lambs contributed by Happy Camper

Wisconsin
Bethany: Were they sent to Hell?
Metatron: Worse. Wisconsin. For the entire span of human history.
Dogma contributed by rivka

Wyoming
Mike: That's the place to be right there, Wyoming! Nothin' but prairies and mountains and nobody around. All you need is your bed roll and a good horse.
Cyril: Don't forget your toothbrush! You're still in your cavity-prone years.
Breaking Away contributed by Coccinelle

Remaining:
  • Washington

[ May 10, 2004, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
For Texas:

From Miss Congeniality :
Kathy Morningside: Of course he had a gun. This is Texas! Everybody has a gun. My florist has a gun!

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
For California from Last Action Hero:

Kid: Where are all the ordinary, everyday women? They don't exist because this is a movie!

Arnold: No, this is California!

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Iowa

Shoeless Joe: Is this heaven?

Ray: No, its Iowa

-Field of Dreams

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Not an exact quote (I don't have the movie), but this is from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels:

Did you hear that, Ruprick? We're going to Oklahoma.

Oklahoma! Oklahoma! Oklahoma !Oklahoma! Oklahoma! Oklahoma! Oklahoma! Oklahoma! Oklahoma! Oklahoma!

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

All good, and the first three match my memories. As soon as I can provide links to demonstrate authenticity, I will add them to the list.

Unless better ones come along.

By the way, is the "even in Utah" quote about bigamy in Fletch considered offensive? This is a serious question - I'm not sure how much and in what manner the subject is joked about within Mormon circles. I've seen some on this board, but not enough to get a good feel for it.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Three great geography quotes from one nifty movie:

Mitch: "Look what I found!" (smiles)
Wife: "Where was it?"
Mitch: "Colorado! It's ALWAYS the last place you look!"

Ed: (with a dreamy look) "Imagine! The three of us, New Mexico. We're going to drive cattle.

Mitch Robbins: What, like in a truck?"

[not a state quote but a classic]

Phil: If hate were people, I'd be China!.

--All from City Slickers

"We're not in Kansas anymore" - Wizard of Oz

"There are certain sections of New York, Major, that I wouldn't advise you to try to invade." - Casablanca.

[ April 19, 2004, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: vwiggin ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Dag, the bigamy quote isn't offensive to me...I think that Mormons would laugh. (I did.) [Smile]

I tried to find a link to authenticate my quote and I couldn't....maybe I wasn't looking in the right places.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

OK - I'll let others chime in as well, but unless someone objects strenuously or puts up a better Utah quote, that's going in the list.

And I'll do the authentication (that's the mindless part I'll use for study breaks), although if anyone does go to a site to copy and paste the quote, throwing the link in would help.

Thanks guys, these are exactly the types of quotes I was looking for.

Dagonee

[ April 19, 2004, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Authenticated contributions from Narnia, Coccinelle, and vwiggen. I couldn't find confirmation on the quotes from either City Slickers or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, but will continue looking.

Thanks,

Dagonee

20X6
Member # 6447

- posted      Profile for 20X6   Email 20X6         Edit/Delete Post 
Delaware

Wayne's World

"Hi, I'm/we're in... Delaware"

Posts: 32 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh.

Kansas.

Judy Garland (Dorothy): Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

The Wizard of Oz

[Embarrassed] Just realized wwiggin already posted this.

[ April 19, 2004, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I'm holding off on Kansas just to see if there is anything else - that comment doesn't say much about Kansas except that munchkins don't live there. [Smile] I suspect there's not much else except variations on WoO, though. Like "No. And you ain't in Kansas, neither!" in Little Shop of Horrors.

Dagonee

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree -- I laughed at the bigamy joke. But then again, I lauged at the Mormon in Paint Your Wagon that auctioned off one of his wives.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Not the best quote for Illinois, but the best quote for Chicago:

Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

[ April 19, 2004, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a whole bunch in the film version of 1776, and several just in the single song ("Mr. Adams," or something like that) sung by the delegates assigned to the drafting committee.

Like: "Mr Adams, but, Mr. Adams
I cannot write with any style or proper etiquette.
I do not know a participle from a predicate.
I am just a simple cobbler from Connecticut."

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

CT, I agree, great quote. Especially since it kicks off the most over-the-top chase scene in movie history. You think they got a good deal on used Buicks or something? [Smile]

I like the 1776 one, as well.

Dagonee

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[Big Grin]

(*preens)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

"I thought everybody in Indiana played basketball."
-- Hoosiers

[ April 19, 2004, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Buckle you seatbelts Dorothy, cause Kansas is going bye bye.

Matrix

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fishtail
Member # 3900

- posted      Profile for Fishtail   Email Fishtail         Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhere in "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" there's got to be a quote about (New) "Jersey".
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Banky: Well, you're in love. And you've both got your own monkey. What more could two guys from New Jersey want?

[ April 19, 2004, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
PLEASE let me find a different one for Kansas.

We here in Kansas are so sick of the Dorothy/Toto/Wizard of Oz thing.

I know of a couple others -- let me see if I can find direct quotes/links.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
"I know I could interest them in a story about an eccentric billionaire with an obsessive interest in a Kansas farm boy." - Chloe to Lionel

Unfortunately, that's from the TV show Smallville, and I need a movie. But I know there was a reference to Kansas in Superman, because that was the supposed site of the small farm town where he grew up.

I just don't know how to find the quotes.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
Chief Dan George (Lone Watie): I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet.
from Outlaw Josey Wales Movie Quotes (1976)

Farmgirl

edit: you know, this sucks. Every single quote I have found has been negative toward Kansas.

[ April 19, 2004, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Charlie: Easy, sport. Got myself out of Beirut once, I think I can get out of New Jersey.
Mitch Henessey: Yeah, well don't be so sure. Others have tried and failed. The entire population, in fact.

-The Long Kiss Goodnight

[ April 19, 2004, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Book: [Big Grin]

Poor New Jersey.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Farmgirl, I'll hold off on Kansas until you find a good one or admit defeat. [Smile]

Oooh - competition for New Jersey from Book. We're gonna need input from the peanut gallery to see if it supplants Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. But for now, CT's quote is in the list, mainly because I finished editing it 2 seconds before Book posted.

Dagonee

vwiggin
Member # 926

"This is Louisiana, chief! I mean, how do you know who your daddy is? Because your mama told you so?"
-Broussard, in JFK.

"She had the personality of a ZIP code in Kansas."
-Steve Martin, in Bowlfinger.

The rest of these aren't really submissions since these states have been covered already, but they're neat quotes. [Smile]

"We're the flying elvises, Utah chapter."
-Honeymoon in Vegas

"My beautiful wife, Julie, is from New Jersey 15 electoral votes... and is, as you know, half Jewish. So we'll take Florida's 25 electoral votes and divide by 2. My daughter, Jeanie, is expecting her first child. If it's a girl, she will be named Virginia. 13 electoral votes. In fact, even if it's a boy, he'll be named Virginia. She reminds me that I have publicly acknowledged that as a young Marine officer in Vietnam, I did, on a handful of occasions, smoke marijuana. [pause] California. 54 electoral votes."

-President Fowler, Sum of all Fears

[ April 19, 2004, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: vwiggin ]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I seek Arizona, and lo! I am led to the generous hills of Utah. (A corollary, Dag, not a challenge.)

H.I.: If not Arizona, then a land not too far away. Where all parents are strong and wise and capable. And all children are happy and beloved. I don't know. Maybe it was Utah.
-- Raising Arizona

[ April 19, 2004, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

vwiggin
Member # 926

I love that movie.... had to close my eyes when they almost ran over the bay though... [Smile]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Yeah -- I saw that Steve Martin 'Kansas' quote too (about zip code), but it was worse than the Josey Wales one.... <sigh> Still searching for Superman..

Farmgirl

Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Montana

Vasili Borodin: I will live in Montana. And I will marry a round American woman and raise rabbits, and she will cook them for me. And I will have a pickup truck... maybe even a "recreational vehicle."

-The Hunt for Red October

and West Virginia

You know what you look like to me, with your good bag and your cheap shoes? You look like a rube. A well scrubbed, hustling rube with a little taste. Good nutrition has given you some length of bone, but you're not more than one generation from poor white trash, are you, Agent Starling? And that accent you've tried so desparately to shed? Pure West Virginia. What's your father, dear? Is he a coal miner? Does he stink of the lamb? You know how quickly the boys found you... all those tedious sticky fumblings in the back seats of cars...while you could only dream of getting out... getting anywhere... getting all the way to the FBI.

-Silence of the Lambs

[ April 19, 2004, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: Happy Camper ]

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Farmgirl, no luck in my searches either. [Dont Know] However, I did find another contender (and one I like better) for California:
quote:
Lex Luthor: We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

-- Superman, The Movie

[ April 19, 2004, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Yeah, rivka, me too. Gotta go for the puns.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

What are you all using to find the quotes? Just straight googling? Or do you have a good quote source?

Farmgirl

rivka
Member # 4859

Definitely, CT! [Big Grin] Plus, I object to the other quote, and present myself as exhibit A. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Googling got me a link to Amazon, which actually swipes its quotes from IMDB. Now I'm looking at some other stuff Google fetched.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Good, HC!

Farmgirl, I'm browsing the Internet Movie Database, eg for Fargo.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Puns are good - we've got lots of good things going here. Just to clarify two points:

1.) Any quote in the list is eligible for replacement. Even one of mine. Of course, there may be a little judge's bias there. [Smile]

2.) I'll be sorely disappointed if someone from each state isn't at least a little offended. [Evil]

Carry on.

Dagonee

P.S., I'll be authenticating and updating later tonight.

rivka
Member # 4859

[ROFL] The other forum I frequent a lot is for Lois&Clark fanfic. Google just gave me a link to one of 'em . . .

Too bad TV is out. Lois referred to Clark as "Kansas" (as well as "farmboy" and related epithets) for much of the first season. [Big Grin]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Okay, I see the jackpot now at IMDb

such as:

"M*A*S*H" (1972)

Charles: One does not wax philosophical when one is about to be sent to Leavenworth... [pause] My God, that's in Kansas.

Big Kahuna, The (1999)

Larry Mann: Phil... man, we're in Wichita, Kansas. What does it matter whether we're on the 1st floor or the 500th floor? It all looks the same!

"Angel" (1999/I)

Cordelia: This isn't a needle in a haystack, this is a needle in Kansas.

Tombstone (1993)
Ike: “Listen now, Mr. Kansas Law-Dog, law don't go round here, savvy?” (Talking to Wyatt Earp)

and many more...

Farmgirl

This has to be my favorite:
Outlaw Josey Wales, The (1976)

Josey Wales: Yeah, well, I always heard there were three kinds of suns in Kansas: sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches.

[ April 19, 2004, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay got one for Maine.

Kelly Scott: I don't do field and even if I did... Maine? I'm allergic to timber!

-Lake Placid (1999)

And I doubt you want to use this one, but it's from the Naked Gun 2 1/2: The Smell of Fear

Lt. Frank Drebin: Hector Savage. From Detroit. Ex-boxer. His real name was Joey Chicago.
Ed Hocken: Oh, yeah. He fought under the name of 'Kid Minneapolis'.
Nordberg: I saw 'Kid Minneapolis' fight once. In Cincinnati.
Lt. Frank Drebin: No you're thinking of 'Kid New York'. He fought out of Philly.
Ed Hocken: He was killed in the ring in Houston. By Tex Colorado. You know, the 'Arizona Assassin'.
Nordberg: Yeah, from Dakota. I don't remember it was North or South.
Lt. Frank Drebin: North. South Dakota was his brother. From West Virginia.

[ April 19, 2004, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: Happy Camper ]

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

FG: [Big Grin] Love the last one.

Anyone got a Tennessee?

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Terms of Endearment:

Sam Burns: You're a very rude young woman. I know Douglas from the Rotary and I can't believe he'd want you treating customers so badly.
Checkout Girl: I don't think I was treating her badly.
Sam Burns: Then you must be from New York.

[ April 19, 2004, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Fishtail
Member # 3900

- posted      Profile for Fishtail   Email Fishtail         Edit/Delete Post 
"Forrest Gump" has a line of dialogue that mentions several states that the members of his squad in Vietnam were from...all I remember is that it ended with, "...and Tex...don't recall where he was from."
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Well, I've updated the list. vwiggin and CT are holding the lead, and Farmgirl has prevented the Wizard of Oz from memorializing Kansas.

We're 20% done!

Dagonee
Edit: I'm holding off on Maine for now, but it'll probably go in if nothing else appears soon.

[ April 20, 2004, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

rivka
Member # 4859

[Grumble] You're really not changing the California quote? [Razz]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I'm hoping for more discussion that one person agreeing she likes puns. [Evil]
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to have something to kill time, try this. [Cool]

(<--*Programmed it* [Big Grin] )

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.