FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Women and Shopping

Author Topic: Women and Shopping
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
What is it that makes it so fun? I know that not all women like it, but my mother, both of my sisters, and my ex-girlfriend all love to shop. Six months ago, I went to a mall called Valley Fair with my ex-girlfriend for four hours. I asked it what time it was and what time we got there right after and all she could say was, "Oops, time just flew right by!" She didn't even buy anything!!! I don't understand that. Why is it so much fun?
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelily
Member # 6298

- posted      Profile for angelily   Email angelily         Edit/Delete Post 
Valley Fair? Wow, that's 5 minutes from my school.

Not all women are like that, you know.

[ April 19, 2004, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: angelily ]

Posts: 58 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to shop. Hate it. Loathe may not be too strong a word. Despise, even.

Seriously. When I have stuff I have to go buy, I go, I buy, and I get out. As fast as I possibly can. I literally have not been in a mall in over a year, and I like it that way very much, thanks.

Now, I will admit that I can stay in a bookstore all day. But that's different. It's like the library, not like shopping. [Razz]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I dislike shopping for clothes. I only like to shop for-
CDs.
Books
Video games
Action figures
Toys

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Tha mall is good for one thing: a place for toddlers to run in the Pacific NW when the rainy season hits.

It also happens to double as a place where you could concievably punish your boyfriend for some awful doing, but that's another story. Were you being punished, Nick, or practicing a little S&M? [Razz]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IvyGirl
Member # 6252

- posted      Profile for IvyGirl   Email IvyGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
You're all insane. I LUV to shop, in every sense of the word. Of course, it is nicer if I can buy stuff, but if not it's good too. I don't know what's wrong with shopping that you guys hate it, but then you should never go shopping with me. I can spend all day in one store looking around. But my mom hates shopping, and I can't drive myself to the mall or anything (Although I prefer other stores to the mall, the mall isn't my favorite, that's for sure) so it's kinda of a privilege. But still, it's almost my favorite past time. It's so much fun!

Ivygirl [Big Grin]

Posts: 156 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
I go clothes-shopping MAYBE 3 or 4 times a year. It is fun when I find things that fit and that I like and aren't overly revealing, but that particular combination of events seems to elude me on most occasions. So mostly, shopping for clothes is just depressingly long and without rewards.

Now, going to the local Barnes and Noble on the other hand... [Big Grin]

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonguetied&twisted
Member # 5159

- posted      Profile for tonguetied&twisted   Email tonguetied&twisted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It is fun when I find things that fit and that I like and aren't overly revealing, but that particular combination of events seems to elude me on most occasions. So mostly, shopping for clothes is just depressingly long and without rewards.
Yes.

I like shopping sometimes for some things, and I get frustrated when I can't find what I'm looking for. And very often, I just can't be bothered with it at all.

Posts: 1111 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Shopping is about having lots of choices -- and fantasizing about having even more (like that dress that would never fit, etc.)

And thanks to the web, now I can shop in my own home! Bliss! [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
My god, Nick, you need a wedgie.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
This does not apply to everyone, but I think shopping to women is like fishing to men. Shopping, like fishing, is an end in itself. It doesn't matter if you go home empty handed.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
Javert, that just depends on how much you got your thoughts stuck on a nice fresh redfish for dinner.
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the analogy still holds. There are two kinds of fishing just like two kinds of shopping. One is just for fun, and the other is just because you need something.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
For me, shopping is best when done ALONE. [Smile] I can't stand people lurking around me, waiting for me to make decisions. I love to decide where I'm going, when, how long I'll stay there, what I'll look at, try on, buy, etc. Isn't that awful? The only person that can come with me is my sister and that's because she's inordinately patient with me.

I don't like to go shopping unless I can spend money. I also like to have specific things in mind when I go. So for me, the attraction lies in the alone time, the search AND the act of spending money and acquiring new stuff. I usually don't have a problem thinking of something to go looking for. [Smile]

I don't know what it is, but I find that buying stuff, whether for me or someone else, is theraputic. I've always been POOR, so I didn't discover this until the last couple years. [Smile] (Still poor, but not as poor as I used to be.)

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
Not all women are like that, you know.
angelily:
quote:
I know that not all women like it, but my mother, both of my sisters, and my ex-girlfriend all love to shop.
Of course I know all women are not like that. I even said it in my post! [Taunt]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia, I'm with you. I enjoy shopping best if it is done alone. I am not a "girl group" sort of person, very much the opposite. I am usually shopping for things we need for our household. I only clothes shop when necessary--it does nothing for me. But for some reason, I find shopping relaxing. It's fun to bring home your "new loot" even if it's new deoderant.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
My god, Nick, you need a wedgie.
You know, in my whole life, I have never had the privilege of recieveing a wedgie. [Dont Know]
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Shopping with the girls is ok, I don't mind it, but then I usually go with my mom and my sister, and we all split up. My sister and I occasionally go shopping without mom, Then she drags me into her store and shows me what she thinks will look good, cause I'm fashion impaired.

BUt yeah. shopping alone is the best. I can try on stuff I would never wear in a million years, and not be embarrassed when it looks like crap.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
The closest I come to shopping is if someone gets me the wrong size and I need to exchange it. I shop for gifts, and that's about it (and it's always really stressful). I get a lot of clothes from my aunt. Ever since all the rashions got weird, circa 1990, I can't abide shopping.

I go to the grocery store. But that doesn't really warrant the verb "shopping" does it?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Nick,

Shopping can be fun (as long as it's not for shoes or anything that requires entering the dressing room arena to issue aesthetic judgements of form). And, if you aren't spending all your cash or having someone spend it for you, where's the harm? Malls maybe aren't so great.

here's a tip. next time you go shopping with your SO or ex-SO, try a boutique shop of some sort.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I go to the grocery store. But that doesn't really warrant the verb "shopping" does it?
It most certainly does!

I miss grocery shopping late at night, when the store is almost empty. Very relaxing.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
IvyGirl loves to shop -- I love to fish (for ANY reason!).

However, unfortunately, that makes me sound like a masculine woman, which I'm really not. Or at least trying not to be...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beca
Member # 4340

- posted      Profile for Beca           Edit/Delete Post 
Underwear shopping is NEVER terribly fun - someone always ends up complaining that they're too small or too large.....you get the idea.

Costume shopping is different - that's always fun in a group.

I have only recently discovered clothes-shopping as a fun experience. Mostly because I've lost forty pounds ("Hey.....these FIT! I mean, they......FIT! And I don't look bad in them!") and so shopping doesn't involve looking in the mirror and getting depressed.

I don't make anyone go shopping with me, though. In fact, I prefer if they don't come along. It used to be that it took forever to find something that looked decent - now it takes forever to decide *which* pieces to spend my money on, since I'm essentially rebuilding a wardrobe from scratch. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. But while it's pretty fun for me to reinvent my 'look', I recognize that no one else is as interested in this process as I am.

I guess it's (in moderation) just a good outlet for the healthy sort of vanity. I've noticed that my guy-friends will primp or flex in public (often jokingly, but it's still an outlet that way, I think) but my female friends don't - they're all business, as though it isn't okay to look at yourself in a mirror with other people around and say "Oh HELLS YEAH!" It's more of a "This doesn't make me look fat, does it? I don't like the way this pleat bunches here...."

Then again, most of my female friends don't shop in groups, either. Maybe it's different for the group-shopping sort.

Posts: 188 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

I haven't been fishing in about 10 years. Then again, I was an impatient nine-year-old. [Wink]

So I don't know how I can make that analogy stick.

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
About the only thing my wife and I cannot do together is shop for clothes.

I just can't handle it. I'd rather babysit eight small children with diarrhea and chicken pox than go to a department store.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Shopping! Brrrrr! It's wrong, I tell you, just wrong. It gives me the willies to be surrounded by goods that are excessive and and unnecessary for the most part. I used to be dragged to the stores every day as a child, for my mom is an excellent Bargain Hunter. She never pays more than half price for anything. She is my personal shopper, so I don't have to go to the store.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
I can go either way. I enjoy shopping on my own, often because you never know when you'll see a clever bit of jewelry or something else that will give me ideas of cool things to make. I don't have to spend money, although I prefer to be able to even if I'm not going to. I enjoy wandering and looking in areas where I might want to make some of the things I see. I also really enjoy shopping for presents for people, mostly because it's fun thinking of people and all the things they like and trying to find presents to match that.

Clothing shopping is a horrible experience for me, since I next to never find clothes I like, and get very footsore in the looking process. Mostly, I don't buy new clothes at all, to avoid the problem. The only time it is enjoyable is going with my godmother, and that is mostly because its fun visiting with her.

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
"I'd rather babysit eight small children with diarrhea and chicken pox than go to a department store."

No, you wouldn't. You're a reasonable man.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I like to dig in garbage bins.

No, seriously. [Smile]

And I do like to watch other people shop, or even help, though I hate to spend money on things I have no sensible use for. On the other hand, I've been buying a series of miscellaneous items that remind me of my mother -- an imported ginger tea canister, a secondhand box that's just like the one she kept her buttons in, metal cuff bracelets, etc. They are sitting together on a shelf in my room.

I'm not sure whether to be troubled by this. I think it's okay, but I'll let y'all know if I need an intervention. [Wink]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

If it's because your mother passed on (I'm guessing [Angst] ), then it's totally normal.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind shopping, but I never go shopping unless I have to, and I like to do it efficiently. I hate it when people saunter and wander.

Unless I'm in a bookshop. I am a bookshop wanderer; I wander up and down rows, looking at titles that catch my eye, covers I think are nice. Sometimes I even run my fingers over the edges of the books, just because I like the feel of it. I like to see what new books are out, but I almost never buy.

If other shopping is like book shopping for me, I think people like shopping because the promise of so much waiting to be used (in my case, read), and the stimulating sight of so much newness all together.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, yes, book shopping is in an entirely different category.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Unsurprisingly, I love to shop for anything and everything. Especially clothes. I love fashion and I love seeing how clothes go from the runway to the Gaps and Old Navys and Targets. I also love finding the one or two good pieces in each store every season - those pieces that you'll be able to wear for the rest of your life and will always look good. Building a wardrobe is a life's work.

I adore shopping for other people. Andrew hasn't gone clothes shopping in years - I just come home with things and hang them in his closet. Everyone's happy - he looks great and I get to shop for men's clothes.

quote:
But while it's pretty fun for me to reinvent my 'look', I recognize that no one else is as interested in this process as I am.
I don't know, I think I'm probably at least as interested as you are - I do love a look reinvention. [Smile]
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to shop for clothes.

I do NOT like to shop for clothes with my mother. Absolutely refuse to. In fact, I don't shop with her, period.

Although recently I've been roped into online shopping. Why do I do this to myself?

And, on a refreshing note, Bernard LIKES to shop with me. In fact, last time he complained because we don't 'shop often enough together.'

[Dont Know] I think he wants me to buy him something. [Wink] (j/k dear)

[ April 20, 2004, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: MaydayDesiax ]

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.