FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » AOL Chat Rooms and the Terror Within

Author Topic: AOL Chat Rooms and the Terror Within
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
::shivers and clings to Hatrack::

I actually had the luxury of being bored a little earlier today so I thought I'd actually chance it and see what "normal people" (ie. non-geeks) talk about. I plan on spending the next hour or so reading the entirety of the newspaper and some of the older reference books lying around the house in an effort to purge my mind of what, at best, may be called inane.

These children are all around my age and yet they can hardly spell or write properly. Or, if they can, they neglect to do so. And then what they talk about...

In an hour and a half's worth of time, the record amount of time given to discussion not related to finding someone of the opposite sex was 27 seconds. It's depressing, really.

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. I remember those dark days when I would wander into teen chat rooms because I thought I belonged there. The youth of America is hopeless.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Pixie, whats worse is when you realize most of the adults on the message boards at AOL are just as silly, with less (but not much) talk about sex, a little better spelling, but just as depressing.

Says the guy who's spent a lot of time at work and between calls reading these message boards.

Basically, don't think society is doomed based off those people. If you base how society is based off people in chat rooms and message boards on AOL, we're already doomed.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
What's worst is when you realize that by stepping into an aol chat room, you have now destroyed your aol email account with horrendous volumes of spam.

Sigh. I had to stop using my original account for email.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lara
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for Lara   Email Lara         Edit/Delete Post 
You have to give them credit for efficiency though. a/s/l is probably the shortest pickup line in any generation
Posts: 377 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] @ Lara
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Then, when you realize that half of the the teenagers in the teenage chat rooms are overweight, balding men, you get even more depressed.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Chatrooms have their place, but they're a more intimate kind of discussion than most people are willing to admit. I can't fathom the point of waltzing onto a channel where I didn't know anyone.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.