FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I don't want Honest Criticism, I only want Flattery

Author Topic: I don't want Honest Criticism, I only want Flattery
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
*grin*

I listed something on e-bay for the very first time! *does little dance*

I've been looking at Self-Represented Artists (CT's meme *grumble*grumble*) and wanting Art. Craaaaaaaving Art. So I made some Art. But I don't want to *keep* it (it's not very good, hehe), I want to buy other people's Art. So! I'm selling it!

(disclaimer: this is not a plea for bids or an advertisement, I swear, I just wanted to share my ridiculous joy)

My Very First E-bay Listing!

I even have my very own "About Me" page!

Woohoo!

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Woohoo!!
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
jexx, I love you. I love that you're so honest!

And the art is absolutely lovely. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
It's such an honest and brazen picture that evokes longing and ennui. It seems eerily reminiscent of the works of Andersen or Grimm.

What is she waiting for? Her prince? Her jailer to deliver her next meal? For the evil curse to be lifted? For her hair to grow long enough to get out of the tower?

No, none of those. She's waiting for the neighborhood kid she hired to clean all the crap off the side of her house.

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
*really likes*

As JNSB said, the picture evokes longing, ennui and, to me, nostalgia. [Smile]

Keep painting! (Do you have any more art you haven't shown Hatrack?)

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

Suneun--Woohoo! indeed! [Smile] BTW, I'd like to paint you someday...what do you think?

katharina--I love you too. *blush* Thank you!

JNSB--I see I should have asked for 'sincere flattery'. *grin* You almost had me at the first sentence...but then you went on. [Wink] Thank you for the lovely words and the chuckle there, at the end. I love that you wrote that. Yay!

Zotto!--Thank you. [Smile] I don't have many paintings, but lots and lots of drawings. Over the past few years, I have been drawing less (busy--kid and work and other hobbies). CT's thread on Self-Represented Artists (and the Artists themselves) made me want to make messes, too. So I made messes! Yay!

I am almost done with a 'throwaway' painting that didn't get thrown away. The only problem is: it's painted on cardboard from a cereal box. Not the most elite material. Hah. That's one reason why I have stuck the "Outsider" label on my artwork. You can get away with a lot more with the "Outsider" label. I will tout my new painting with the phrase: "Made partially with recycled materials"

*grin*

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
* blink blink *

Uhm... sure, if you'd like to?

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

Of course I'd like to! You have a lovely face. It's a beautiful shape, and your eyes sit right where they belong. Also: I think your nose is exquisite! (I hope I am not embarassing you, hehe)

I'm thinking of a Goth Fairy kind of thing. Right up your alley, I think. *smile*

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I have bid on paintings done on the backs of opened-up cereal boxes before, in real live silent auctions, even, not on e-bay. So no need to worry about the medium, just do it!

(I did not win, so there is currently no cereal box art hanging in my home. There are some lovely mixed-media cats by the same artist, however.)

And your painting is fun! Congratulations on having the guts to do it and get it out there! I bet you feel positively giddy, and you should. [Big Grin]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

Well, ElJay, sister of dana and soon to be SiL of Bob_Scopatz, tomorrow you can bid on your very own piece of cereal box art (and at a Quite Reasonable Price, might I add!), because I'm listing the Pink Lady, she's done!

And thank you for your encouragement, it means a lot to me. [Smile]

Also thank you to Elizabeth. I enjoy your presence on Hatrack, I never told you that. It's true!

[edited to add: yes. giddy. quite! [Smile] ]

[ April 24, 2004, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: jexx ]

jexx
Member # 3450

Hey! Someone bid! Was that you, JNSB?

[Party]

Very cool!

[Blushing]

Now I am REALLY giddy!

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
you have a bid!
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess you know you have one, since you posted ahead of me!
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

LOL Belle. Yes, I knew it! Hooray!

Help me goose mack into putting her photos on E-bay. Now that I know how easy it is, I don't understand why she doesn't do it! She says she needs to be kicked in the...ahem...bootie (as the six-year-old says). So kick away!

jexx
Member # 3450

Jamie's boo-tay has been kicked! Check it out:
mack's listing on ebay

Now we will ALL make money!

Excellent. *tents fingers*

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
HEY!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how you guys can part with your art like that.

Oh well, your loss is our gain. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, judging by the 100% positive feedback, mack is far more . . . ah, polite to eBayers than to us. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

ROFLMAO, rivka, that's what I was thinking when I looked at her listing! *snicker*

Beren: I get bored with my art real easily, that's why I...ooh....shiny!

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
--I--
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
^ Exhibit A, right there ^
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

mmhmm. You aren't on aim, either.

--I-- --I--

jexx
Member # 3450

I've listed my "Pink Lady"!!

*does another little dance*

Lookie!

Pink Lady!

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Pink Lady! She would make a wicked cool cd cover. It kind of looks like she is singing.

(I love cd cover art, by the way, so this is pure flattery.)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

I like CD covers, too, so I am flattered. *smile* I wish the photo had come out better, because the detail's all messed up from the glare. Pooey. Still--she is a great lady!

I went to home depot today and bought some lacquer spray to spray on top and get the paintings all glossy and sealed-in. It works terrifically!

Also: my sub-meme of art has infected my son. We bought him some wood to paint on for show-and-tell at school tomorrow. Hehe. I'll take pictures!

StallingCow
Member # 6401

- posted      Profile for StallingCow   Email StallingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
5 bids! You're up to $2.53!
Posts: 106 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

6! up to $3.00!

This is too much for me, I should quit checking the auction every ten minutes.

LOL

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.