FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » This isn't fair. My brain isn't allowed to think anymore. Nope.

Author Topic: This isn't fair. My brain isn't allowed to think anymore. Nope.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I reviewed one article so far for my lit review based around the role of phenylalanine content in nutrasweet having an effect on recurrent undiagnosable abdominal pain.

What'd my brain go and do to me?

Come up with more research ideas. This isn't funny anymore. [Mad]

Questions like:
If folks with PTSD have smaller than normal hippocampuses, how would folks with chronic pain compare?

Does this abdominal pain activate the HPA axis?

If it does, are the cortisol levels consistently high like folks without PTSD respond to stress? Or are they comparable to the low cortisol levels of folks with PTSD?

What role does cortisol have in lowering serotonin levels? (Cortisol increases metabolism, providing less protein, therefore less tryptophan, therefore less serotonin?)

Now, if insulin is what pushes the competing large amino acids of tryptophan (phenylalanine is one of them), to make way for tryptophan to use its transport system (the same system that phenylalanine likes to use), then if folks who switch from regular soda to diet soda (or high carb diet to low carb?!), thereby lowering insulin levels, thereby allowing phenylalanine to use more transport systems, and then lowering serotonin?

[Eek!]

Stop thinking! AAAAAAAH!

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal
Member # 3758

- posted      Profile for Sal           Edit/Delete Post 
And come to think someone complained recently there weren't enough "Food" threads on Hatrack! [Smile]
Posts: 1045 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I've written ten pages on a new short story. I came into work hoping to write more.

But my brain wants to watch the National Geographic channel instead.

Plus, Tom's comment about a Peter Pan collar is really bugging me. . . [Wink]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It should, Scott. *pat pat* Prepubescent girls wear Peter Pan collars. Oh, and probably Little Lord Fauntleroy wore a variant.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I've never even SEEN a Peter Pan collar. . .
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal
Member # 3758

- posted      Profile for Sal           Edit/Delete Post 
Me neither. Let's go ask TomD, shall we?
Posts: 1045 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Figured it out.

[Eek!]

rivka
Member # 4859

I seriously doubt that, Scott. They're VERY common -- you probably just know them by another name.

Shirt with a PP collar
Just the collar

[Edit: Yeah, so I'm slow.]

[ April 25, 2004, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"I've never even SEEN a Peter Pan collar. . ."

Well, I call Peter pan all the time!

Sorry, but there hasn't been a Pun Smackdown in days.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Um. . . yeah, I'd call those, 'rounded-collar-thingies.'

But only if I were being technical.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I see you as an almost perfect, upstanding kid with a wicked sense of humor that brought his Mom flowers on Mothers' Day and her birthday.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm holding mack accountable for my newfound hesitation to drink Diet Coke. I can't drink regular the sugar bothers me so what am I left with???? Water?!?!?!
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
You just can't beat water, that's true.

*Swigs diet coke*
Mmmmmmmm.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What role does cortisol have in lowering serotonin levels? (Cortisol increases metabolism, providing less protein, therefore less tryptophan, therefore less serotonin?)
I think this sounds right, which is why going to low carbs is also less ideal for folks with low seratonin conditions. I thought cortisol is an insulin agonist. So Cortisol keeps the tryptophan from being as available, and also keeps the insulin from encouraging the tryptophan->seratonin transformation. I'm throwing around words that may imply causation that I don't really know to be the case.

Huh, Found this looking around Lanarkshire Hospital test protocols (down the page a bit):
quote:
Hypersecretion of cortisol is a common feature of depressive illness, and may also be a feature of alcoholism and obesity. Such patients may fail to suppress their cortisol levels during a low-dose dexamethasone suppression test.

Drugs such as phenytoin, phenobarbitone, carbamezepine, and rifampicin will induce hepatic enzymatic clearance of dexamethasone. This will reduce its plasma concentration, and may cause false positive responses.

Estrogens increase the cortisol-binding globulin concentration in the circulation, and where total cortisol is measured in serum, false positives may be seen. (? stop estrogen-containing drugs and delay investigation for 6 weeks to allow the cortisol-binding globulin to return to baseline. This may not be necessary in the case of transdermal estrogens).

I'm always interested in info that suggests a reason for the apparent prevalence of low seratonin syndromes and pain syndromes in women.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
I find something fundamentally wrong with the notion of knowing the names of collar types.... [Big Grin]
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
If you possibly have a Costco near you, buy their diet drinks. They use Splenda rather than nutrasweet and are much better than your ordinary diet drink.

Pepsi One is better than straight diet. I can't wait till Coke comes out with their equivalent.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you possibly have a Costco near you, buy their diet drinks. They use Splenda rather than nutrasweet and are much better than your ordinary diet drink.

Also RC Diet Cola - looked that up for a friend who wanted to switch to a diet cola but doesn't like nutrasweet.
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Doesn't Hansen's diet (which also has the added benefit of no added colorants) also use Splenda?
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
So will Splenda turn out to be killing me slowly later as well?

[Smile]

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
::shakes Magic 8 Ball::

"Without a doubt"

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Possible but unlikely; Splenda is simply tinkered-with sugar.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What'd my brain go and do to me?

This is now my favorite question of the week.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.