FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » my day took a bad turn!!!

Author Topic: my day took a bad turn!!!
Tzadik
Member # 5825

- posted      Profile for Tzadik   Email Tzadik         Edit/Delete Post 
So today was promising to be a nice day, really nice day. Until about 2 hours ago. This weekend lissande and me and two other friends rented a car and drove to our church singles retreat just outside of Frankfurt, Germany. Had great time, got back safely last night. Today at noon I met my friend and we were to return the car. So I get in and am about the back up from my parking spot. When, I BUMP into car that is standing behind me and the one I DIDN’T see in my mirror! Nobody got hurt, no major damage (minor scratches on his bumper and mine). Called the rental agency they said no need to call the police, just write the protocol that is enclosed in your papers. So we did write it, exchanged info etc. We went on returning the car. Checked it in, and… They will send me the final bill for the repair later. UP to 350$!!! *is mad, is really mad* If it was my car, I would not even bother to repair it, it’s so insignificant! Why is this happening to me??? That is an expenses I sure enough don’t need to have right now. Of course, am very thankful that nobody got hurt or even worse!

BTW, this is my first time accident (should I even call it an accident?). There you have it, my day just took a drastic turn for the worse.

Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear that Tzadik. [Frown] My last car accident was at Big Bear. Visibility was low and I did not see the SUV parked in the middle of the road until it was fifteen feet in front of me. Plenty of time to stop? Normally. But I forgot to put on chains and despite the slow speed (10 mph), my car slid right into the SUV's bumper.

No visible damage to either car and we both orally agreed to call it even. Two week later, the SUV driver's insurance company charged my insurance company $1,500 for "chassis realignment." Right, like my little Japanese box car could really mess up that SUV's chassis at 10 mph. [Grumble]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
So the rental car company doesn't have include insurance on the cost of renting the car? I thought you purchase insurance (for the time you have it) when you rent, and that insurance covers any costs of any accidents.

..but I've never rented a car, so what do I know!

But you are right -- collision repairs are ridiculously expensive!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Tzadik, if you put the rental on a credit card, you might have car rental insurance included with the card. It's on my card and that's why I never spend the extra money for insurance from the rental company.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. When my parents rented a car, and got it smashed by a deer, they didn't have to pay any repair costs.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tzadik
Member # 5825

- posted      Profile for Tzadik   Email Tzadik         Edit/Delete Post 
With the credit card I have I don't have an insurance [Grumble] Will see how much they charge me. The rental cars are insured, but you are liable up to 350$, what's above that the insurance covers. This was my first rented car and had a collision right away! You know what's ironic? When filling in the report I had to write the date when my driver's license was issued. It was issued 26 April 1994 - so I celebrated the 10th anniversary bumbing into someone, that's ironic! [Grumble]
Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyways, I keep reading this thread as "My dad took a bad turn".
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry [Frown]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Me too, Kama.

That's a real bummer, Tzadik [Frown]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul36
Member # 6339

- posted      Profile for Paul36   Email Paul36         Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on the policy, your personal auto insurance may cover you when you rent a car. You should check your policy to see if this would be covered, although you may still be subject to a deductible. In any case, sorry to hear about your accident. These things are never any fun. Good luck!
Posts: 22 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.