FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Transexuality and Stereotypes

Author Topic: Transexuality and Stereotypes
Notorious Shira
Member # 6089

- posted      Profile for Notorious Shira   Email Notorious Shira         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello wonderful hatrackers! I know all of you are incredibly intelligent and full of information so I was hoping if you could dig inside your brains and tell me what you think of transexuals. Do you know exactly what the definition is? Anything you think of when you think of transexuals, stereotypes or not. I'm gathering some info, and I would like to hear some opinions. Thank you much,

((((hatrackers))))

-Shira

Posts: 53 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm under the impression that transexual includes anyone who changes gender or appearance of gender, including transgendered, crossdressing men and women, etc.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I was under the impression that a transvestite is someone who dresses as a member of the opposite sex, and a transexual is someone who thinks of themselves as the opposite gender than their physical sex.

So a transvestite might be a transexual, but not necessarily.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
PSI, according to what I have studied, you've got "transsexual" and "transgender" reversed. Transgender is the blanket term that includes almost any crossing of gender lines or non-conformity with gender roles. Transsexual is the most extreme form of transgenderism -- where an anatomically "normal" man or woman is convinced that he or she has the personality/mind/soul of the opposite gender and was born into a body of the wrong sex.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
At Brown, "gender-neutral" housing is becoming a concern for the transgender and transsexual comunities. I don't think that a long-term solution has been found. For the next year, I think they're going to try a small segment of "gender neutral" dorm rooms to see how that goes. But it's a very difficult question. It would be much easier if our school already allowed male-female doubles, but currently we allow co-ed by rooms (each room has only male, or only female, but you can be next door to the opposite gender). In the last few years, there has been an increase in mixed-gender suites due to the strong interest of the students. This is just the next step in the dialogue.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are right, DKW.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Part of this depends on whether you are talking about psychological classifications, or practical usage of the language. In the GLBT community (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgendered), someone is transgendered if they identify themselves as the opposite sex from which they are, genetically. Transvestitism in this case isn't necessarily an indication of transgender expression. It can be a manefestation of heterosexual fetishism as well. That is, a man can wear women's clothes not because he feels womanly, but because the clothes themselves turn him on.

I do know that one does not have to have the operation to be considered transexual. Many transexuals only go as far as the hormone therapies, presumably because the surgery isn't anywhere near perfected, even today.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a related question... How do these surgeries work? I mean, can they give a man a uterus? Can they give a woman testes, etc.? What's involved? Just something I've always wondered.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Transgendered surgeries can create reasonable facsimiles, but none of them are reproductively functional. The male -> female process is much easier than the reverse, from what I've read. I believe the vernacular is "It's easier to dig a hole than build a pole."

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muwahaha
Member # 6488

- posted      Profile for Muwahaha   Email Muwahaha         Edit/Delete Post 
We actually looked at this topic in a college course I took. It's very interesting. According to some research, the brains of males who switched to females look more like a female brain than a typical male brain, which gives some scientific proof that these people just might have the wrong bodies. There is a wonderful movie dealing with this topic called "Normal." It stars Jessica Lange. PBS has also shown some documentaries, I believe.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Surfing the Net gives you opportunities to reach very diverse folks, and the trangendered are no exception. All the ones I know are among my favorite posters. Their "online transsexual experience" ranges from giant multi-page threads answering questions about self-lubrication, to assuming deliberately ambiguous names, to confiding in me via email. It's hard to say what exactly I've learned from these interactions, except the obvious: there are no stereotypes.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Two of the writers I edit for are transgendered (physically female but see themselves as mentally male). They also happen to be identical twins. The only thing remotely female about the way they act is that the really, really like chocolate. [Wink]

I met them in college, and was impressed by their writing talent. Most of the campus population talked about them and not *to* them, but it was their loss. They are a couple of great guys, very talented. I admire them a lot. They could not afford hormone therapy as of the last time they investigated it. They live in a rural area, and have essentially become homebound.

But their latest novel rocks! [Smile]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The only thing remotely female about the way they act is that the really, really like chocolate.
If this is a sign of femininity than both me and my father need to ask some disturbing questions.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bokonon! [Smile]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
...people who are preoccupied with their genitalia.

Put your pants back on and read a book for goodness sake!

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
What is it you want us to say? The topic is a little ambigious....

Anyway, transgederism (is that a word?) is, imo, a particularly nasty mental disorder (or physical, define it how you want) and the people who have it deserve sympathy and empathy.

In the end, we are all people. If someone has a gender-body conflict, that doesn't change that person's inherent humanity.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Phanto- there is gender identity disorder, which is a psychological disorder. I wouldn't really consider that to be the same as transgender. In GID, the patient would be confused about which gender they are. In the case of transgender, I think they know what they were born and they have decided they want to be something different.

quote:
According to some research, the brains of males who switched to females look more like a female brain than a typical male brain
It's amazing to me that when it comes to transgender, folks are willing to say "this is a female brain and this is a male brain" but in dicussing feminism we can't.

P.S. in the dreaded feminism thread, we also talked about the use of "men and women" instead of "persons" in the law. I think "men and women" could be construed as excluding those with sex chromosome abnormality as well as the transgendered.

[ April 27, 2004, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Notorious Shira
Member # 6089

- posted      Profile for Notorious Shira   Email Notorious Shira         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your help everyone. But to correct Phanto again, there has been a diagnosis of Gender Identity Disorder but it isn't always the case. Most of the people who are transsexual do not believe they have a disease. I read somewhere that the transsexuals believe that the reason they feel this way is just because. The analogy I was told once was that you need to imagine your favorite color, food, or drink. Did you just wake up one day and say "I like blue!" or is it something that kind of progressed over time. That's the explanation I got.
Posts: 53 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
It's a disease in the sense that any mental disorder is. Currently the current theory is that it's caused by a failure of testoesterone in the masculization of the brain. Ergo, because GID is something that very few people have, and it's caused by a failure of the brain to develop, it's a disorder.

And, pooka, you make an interesting point about brains and how we can only accept the idea of gendered minds in certain situations.

[ April 29, 2004, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Phanto ]

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.