FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How Many Petals?

Author Topic: How Many Petals?
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I apologise greatly if this game has already been posted...

If not it's a nice lateral-thinking problem to pass the time. I want to know how long it takes other people to do, as it says on the site
quote:
...while some students would solve the problem right away, others would struggle all semester.
I challenge all you super intelligent, creative thinking people out there. It took me fifteen minutes, I expect at least half the people here to look and see it immediately...
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it's been posted before. But we won't spoil it for the newbies out here that haven't see it yet.

Farmgirl

[ April 27, 2004, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 6077

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
About 4 rounds, and that mostly just to refine what the rules where (It was a variation of my original guess). 3 minutes maybe?
Posts: 14 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
"It had taken Dr. Duke well over a year himself, and he would always explain that the smarter you were, the longer it took to figure it out."

This thing is impossible! I'll never get it!

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
It took me about two minutes. We have had this posted before, but I didn't work on it then.
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geomancer
Member # 6299

- posted      Profile for Geomancer   Email Geomancer         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm, that Billy Joel song Lullaby. It goes:
"Goodnight, my angel
Time to close your eyes
And save these questions for another day
I think I know what you've been asking me
I think you know what I've been trying to say
I promised I would never leave you
And you should always know
Wherever you may go
No matter where you are
I never will be far away
Goodnight, my angel
Now it's time to sleep
And still so many things I want to say
Remember all the songs you sang for me
WHen we went sailing on an emerald bay
ANd like a boat out on the ocean
I'm rocking you to sleep
THe water's dark
And deep inside this ancient heart
You'll always be a part of me
Goodnight, my angel
Now it's time to dream
And dream how wonderful your life will be
Someday your child may cry
And if you sing this lullabye
Then in your heart
There will always be a part of me
Someday we'll all be gone
But lullabyes go on and on
They never die
That's how you
And I
Will be"
Cheesy, but always an emotional song for me.

Posts: 40 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polio
Member # 6479

- posted      Profile for Polio   Email Polio         Edit/Delete Post 
[Grumble] I give up; it's impossible. So... what's the answer???
Posts: 165 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Never played it before.

Figured it out immediately.

<10 seconds

NEXT!

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhere between ten or fifteen minutes.

I couldn't get it, I couldn't get it, I couldn't get it, and then I did.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
took me about ten minutes.

I had the basic idea at 5 but had to do some refining.

The clues suck, "what are the petals and what is the rose". petals are part of a rose, how the hell are they supposed to be around it? And what does "significant" have to do with it?

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
If smart people take longer, I'm a complete idiot, and I have no real math skills.

Got it right on the first try, and I've never seen this before.

Perhaps a lucky guess.

added: no I didn't just try it once and post. I've never gotten it wrong in a number of trys.

[ April 27, 2004, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: peterh ]

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Finally got it.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'll just give up and accept that the longer I don't solve it, the more intelligent I am. Seriously, though, I got two roles with a 4 in the first and fourth positions and it was 0 both times. So I just give up. How can it be 0?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
That was easy. It was simply a matter of going into my memory, finding the applet that was wunning, and then just searching the source code for the part that checked if the number was correct or not and using those rules to figure out what the general rule was. Bah on your game!

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes,

quote:
the applet that was wunning
Are you really Hobbes, or are you just Homestarrunner pwetending to be Hobbes?
Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried for over 15 minutes and I still can't get it. I keep finding different things that work but, as of yet, nothing that always works for all of them.
Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
It's THAT simple ?!?! Last time I saw it I had no idea how to solve it... And now I got it from the first round. I was telling myself: noway it's like this... But let's try... And it proved right !

pooka, don't worry, it has almost nothing to do with intelligence. [Big Grin]

Hobbes... [No No]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey!?

I had 5 "1 dot" dice listed and the correct answer?

"Wrong! There are petals around the rose."

Boooo for it breaking on such an interesting roll.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
Made me feel real dumb when I got it after 5 minutes. (Short time indicates that I'm not very intelligent????)
He, he, he, he, he.

Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm um... let's just say that hours of reading in the dark followed by trying to figure out the homework for Structural Mechanics that's due tomorrow != Hobbes being intelligent or able to type.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
What are the rules? Gah.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I never noticed the fact the name of the game was a clue.

Heh.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
GAH!
It was staring me right in the face! I thought that at the beginning and then thought "nah...".
[Wall Bash]
I got it right once by accident, and then figured it out after 8 minutes.
[Big Grin]

[ April 27, 2004, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Eruve Nandiriel ]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Bumped, 'cause I solved it and want to see more people doing this [Wall Bash] when realizing just how simple it is !
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polio
Member # 6479

- posted      Profile for Polio   Email Polio         Edit/Delete Post 
I STILL can't get it! ARGH!

[Edit: I GOT IT! YAY!]
[Party]

[ May 31, 2004, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: Polio ]

Posts: 165 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
First time. Less than 10 seconds.

Does this mean I am horribly stupid or just incredibly open-minded and creative?

Don't answer that.

Horribly stupid.

I hate it when you have to get a correct answer more than once.

Sigh.

How come intuition is so chancy?

[ June 01, 2004, 12:40 AM: Message edited by: Shan ]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.