FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Attention Hatrack

Author Topic: Attention Hatrack
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
The future is here.

Let us all await the brave new world to come.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
:: blinks ::

:: blinks ::

If there is one beer that I'd even think about trying when I turn 21...that's it.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually finish it before it gets warm anyway.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Yeah, but now when you're out on the go or whatever you don't have to worry about having all that ice in your backpack or pockets to keep the beer you're inevitably carryin around cold.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
But what about the recycling?! With all that icky gel, it's gonna make the cans harder to recycle!
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like most beverages to be ice-cold anyway. It makes them too hard to drink.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
That was my first thought to, Johnny. But maybe it would just burn off, like the paint (I assume paint and any beer residuals burn off/out).

I feel conflicted about recycling because we have a drought here, so washing the cans seems a little wasteful. I do use a can opener to take out both sides (of, say, a vegetable can) and smash it flat.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
But Richard, it's beer. Beer _needs_ to be cold.
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Yeah, anyone who drinks warm beer and is comfortable with it clearly has many, many problems, some of which may be unsolvable.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
A one that is not cold is hardly a one at all.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a long way between 32 degrees and "warm," especially for porters and stouts.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
People who need to drink their beer ice cold are drinking cheap crappy beer.

Beer that actually tastes good doesn't need to be ice cold.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Are you drinking british beer?
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I love Richard Berg.

It hurts to know he doesn't even notice me. Maybe it's my big nose. [Frown]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
But a six pack is probably going to be $40.00.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Yeah. You know what, when it comes to hooch, I'm all about equal opportunity.
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
A one that is not cold is hardly a one at all.

Let's illustrate with one of my bogus mathematical formulas:

The One(itude) is directly proportionaly to the Cold(itude) of the one.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I was 21. 18 more months to go... [Big Grin]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

Ralphie: see fugu's thread. With very few exceptions, I don't notice anybody. The dead epileptic comment changes things, though [Smile]
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Though I have to admit, on certain evenings in late spring, a Cool One can be very refreshing.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
"People who need to drink their beer ice cold are drinking cheap crappy beer."

I'd go gay for /.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I will never drink beer out of a can.

Make it ergonomically correct with an attachment that massages my fingertips and a device that painlessly injects fluids into my bloodstream to combat hangovers, and I'll still not buy it.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Unless I see a commercial on TV that shows beautiful women being attracted to me for drinking out of said can.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

Hmm. I've found a few beers taste better out of a can than from bottles. Although, they're invariably the ones that taste way, way better on tap.
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to second the notion that "ice-cold" isn't always preferred. Truth be told ,beer presents best when served at or around its fermentation temperature. Lagers therefore are better in the 40-48 F and Ales in the 50-60 F.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking as someone who co-owns a fridge designed specifically for the purpose of storing and serving beer at approximately 55 degrees Fahrenheit, I definitely agree with Slash. Crap beer has to be ice cold to dull the lousy taste. [Smile]

I can't wait for those cans. I like Boddington's out of a can.... but will they be able to combine the cooling system with those draught cans? That would be one monster can. [Big Grin]

Can can can you use a draught can? Can you use a draught can? Can you use a draught la la la la la la la....

[Big Grin]

[ April 30, 2004, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: Ayelar ]

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I like Boddington's out of a can
Yes, but you don't drink it from the can, do you? Anyone who drinks Boddington's, Murphy's, or Guinness straight from the can has serious personal issues and needs to get himself (or herself) checked.

And while Boddington's is, indeed, better from the tap than from the can, most people don't have space for a keg in their houses, nor do they drink enough to make buying kegs a good option.

Personally, I think the best beer I ever had was at the Mucky Duck Pub in Monterey. It was called Penny Black Porter, and served cask style (just below room temperature). Truly awesome.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

Ew, no. It hadn't even occurred to me. [Razz] The bubbles are half the fun, anyhow. [Smile]

Who makes the Penny Black? Was it a house brew, or something from a local brewery?

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
You neglected to mention my personal favorite; Beamish.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

The full name of Penny Black is "English Ales Pendragon Penny Black Porter," and it is made by English Ales Brewery in Marina, CA. So, I guess it's just a local thing. Which sucks, because I loved it so much and am now like 300 miles away from the nearest pub that serves it.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

Hmmm.... I'll tell Mark to keep an eye out for it when he visits CA this summer. [Smile]
saxon75
Member # 4589

If I recall correctly it had a strong toasted flavor (not sure if that is from the malt or the hops) and a hint of iodine (which reminded me a bit of an Islay scotch). Also reminiscent of coffee and chocolate [edit: but then I tend to get that out of most porters].

[ April 30, 2004, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.