FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My day without hatrack...just in case you're interested.

Author Topic: My day without hatrack...just in case you're interested.
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
8.30 am: Wake up. Coffee. Switch on Computer.

8.32 am: Hatrack down for servicing. Website playing soothing music. Experience a slight jolt, but the screen (therefore OSC) tells me not to panic. Follow instructions and don’t panic.

8.35 am: Still not panicking. On second cup of coffee.

8.45 am: Decide to go out and check mail

8.46 am: No mail yet. Hatrack still down. Still not panicking.

9.00 am: Decide to get on with real work. Pull up appropriate file on computer.

9.06 am: Finding work difficult. Keep humming “It’s Not Easy Being Green” for some reason.

9.10 am: Check Hatrack. Just in case. Still down. Slight chest tightness and shortness of breath. Start deep breathing exercises as recommended by doctor.

9.20 am: Finish Deep breathing. Feel much better. Quick glance to see if the ‘rack is back online. Recommence deep breathing.

9.40 am: Check Mail. Still Nothing.

9.45 am: Sit at piano. “Brick”, by Ben Folds Five somehow morphs into “It’s not easy being green” Strange…

10.00 am: Decide to get out of house, away from computer. Walk to post office to ask if the mailman is coming. While there, check at coin operated internet terminal. Hatrack Still offline.

10.02 am: Nice lady in Post office gives me a chair and a glass of water while I get my breath back.

10.10 am: Stop at CD shop. No versions of “It’s not easy…” in stock.

10.30 am: Dymocks booksellers: “What the #$#@ do you mean you don’t have anything new by Orson Scott Card? No, I don’t care if he hasn’t written anything lately…”

10.32 am: No longer permitted to shop at Dymocks.

10.33 am: Walk home humming “It’s not easy…”

11.00 am: Sit back at computer. Open main work file. Type six words. Check Hatrack. Still down
11.03 am: First real signs of panic start to set in.

11.15 am: Sweep up glass. Coax cat back down out of tree. Apologise to old lady next door. Call therapist – no appointments available for three days.

11.30 am: Start to make third cup of coffee for the day. Abandon it in favour of first tequila.

11.35 am: Second Tequila.

11.50 am: Fifth tequila. Feeling somewhat relaxed.

11.52 am: Accidentally log on to craphats.com Purchase a purple felt fedora with orange polka dot band and green feathers.

12.00 pm: Hatrack still down. Check Amazon.com for “It’s Not Easy Being Green” Order the six CD set of “Kermit’s greatest Hits.” For only $186.99 US dollars (postage and handling extra)

12.13 pm. Check mailbox. Nothing.

12.20 pm. Still no mail

12.32 pm. Where the heck is that postman?

12.40 pm. Postman arrives.

12.41 pm: Frank and open exchange of views with mailman on the current state of the Australian Postal Service.

12.43 pm: Retrieve mail from neighbour’s yard. Go inside to treat Rottweiler bites.

12.50 pm: Hatrack still offline. Second Panic attack threatens.

1.00 pm: Talk to Nice Police officers at door. Deny all knowledge of harassing postal workers. Frank and open exchange of views on police harassment and corruption in Australia.

1.05 pm: Call Lawyer re: Court Summons next Tuesday

1.15 pm: Hatrack offline. Log onto Games.com and play scrabble against “venus buttmonkey” V.B. Challenges my final word “QZXVSWP” on a triple word score. Lose game 530 to 36

1.45 pm: Reported to site mods by Venus Buttmonkey. Logged out of Games.com for foreseeable future.

2.00 pm: Okay. Work. Really…

2.03 pm: Check Hatrack. Garn.

3.00 pm: Mother calls. Incoming call drops modem off internet. Frank and open exchange of views on the problems with modern parenting. Told to ‘grow up’

3.06 pm: I’m a teapot. I’m a teapot. I’m a teapot. I’m a teapot…..

3.30 pm: Oprah: My Partner is an internet addict. Full of sad cases – unbelievable. Turn it off…

4.00 pm: Check Hatrack. Still down. Panic attack Number two.

4.10 pm: Remove Cat from ceiling fan. Check pantry for cat sedatives. Give two to cat. Take four myself.

4.15 pm: I’m a teapot again, man…(and I like it…)

4.40 pm: Hatrack still down. Typing posts and responses to self in Microsoft Word.

4.55 pm: email myself all the issues I have with homosexual marriage. Then reply and tell myself that I’m too narrow-minded. Decide that I’m not going to email here anymore, and email myself to announce as much...

5.00 pm: Close work folder for the day.

5.02 pm: Trogdor is my hero. Trogdor is my hero. Trogdor is my hero…

6.00 pm: Dinner preparation. Forgot to buy food. Order Pizza. Pizza delivery man refuses to stop and pick me up a bottle of tequila on the way.

6.03 pm: Frank and open exchange of views on current state of Pizza industry in Australia

6.15 pm: Realise that it’s the middle of the night in America. That’s why they’ve taken the ‘Rack down. Consider emigration.

6.30 pm: recorded message: “The United States consulate is closed for the evening. For all Green Card applications, please call back during business hours…”

6.33 pm: In car. Drive to Consulate. Bang on door.

7.00 pm: Frank and honest exchange of views with large American man in what appears to be a US Marine Corp uniform on the current state of US / Australian relations.

7.02 pm: Unconscious

8.00 pm: Wake up in darkened room. Tied to chair. Light shining in eyes. Asked to explain myself and my affiliations. Mention first name that comes into my head.

8.02 pm: Dumped from back of blacked out van into street. CIA men drive off to look for an “Orson Scott Card” Stagger to nearest internet café.

8.15 pm: Hatrack still down.

9.00 pm: Arrive home. Fall into bed. Strange dreams about Kermit the Frog singing “it’s not easy being green” while delivering mail dressed in a US Marine Corps uniform. Hope for a better day tomorrow…

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
12.41 pm: Frank and open exchange of views with mailman on the current state of the Australian Postal Service.
[ROFL]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
My day without Hatrack:

First thing in the morning: Baby falls off couch, landing on base of skull. Can't use limbs and can't stay awake.

Next several hours: ER, during which she recovers and is fine.

2:00: While putting baby down for a nap, my son holds the point of a marker into the carpet letting it bleed out, repeating in about twenty places.

2:10: Upon returning to the living room, I see one blue spot on the carpet, I begin to clean it, thinking it is just a small spot. Spraying the cleaner results in the spreading and further bleeding of the marker, and the cleaner touches a second spot that I hadn't noticed before, which also begins to bleed. A lightbulb goes on in my head. Fear in my heart, I stand back and spray the entire living room carpet with the cleaner, revealing twenty or so bleeding marker spots.

Rest of day: Cleaning marker with peroxide and baking soda, while son is made to sit on a chair and watch me clean in utter boredom. (I would have made HIM clean it up but it wasn't something he could do.)

All in all, very productive.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] (To Scy, not to Psi)

[ May 07, 2004, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: Dan_raven ]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I did schoolwork...

...and Hatrack didn't play soothing music for me when I visited the downed forums. [Cry]

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] (to scy, not psi)
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
coin operated internet terminal
This is not science-fiction???

[Eek!]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] Scy! That was great!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe, Scythrop... [Big Grin]
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [Laugh] Scythrop

Out of curiosity, how did you cope when you were away for two weeks a while back? And what did imogen do during all this drama?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
Incredible, Scy.
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
gotta admit, i was hella amused.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

coin operated internet terminal

This is not science-fiction???

Nope, Kama. We have coin op. terminals everywhere - libraries, airports, all sorts of places. They're pretty expensive, though - usually about $2.00 for 12 minutes or so.

(((PSI))) What a shocker of a day.

quote:
Out of curiosity, how did you cope when you were away for two weeks a while back? And what did imogen do during all this drama?
When I was away I made regular and effective use of an internet cafe. And also the computing facilities of the school I was visiting. I also quivered a lot [Big Grin]

And Imogen had a worse time of it than me - she had to go to work and THERE WAS NO HATRACK!!! AARGH. I still shudder to think of it...

[ May 07, 2004, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Scythrop ]

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I still think you two had it easy. It was ONE day for you -- two for me. *twitch* Weird time-zone thing, I guess. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey hey, me too, don't forget. At work, in Australia, no 'rack. It was horrible. Kept on checking into AIM chat to see if anything was happening.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.