FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Party Poker Question for Richard, Bok, or Storm

Author Topic: Party Poker Question for Richard, Bok, or Storm
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember Richard, Bok, and Storm Saxon said they are members. Can I ask you guys a question?

How much money do you guys usually make on the no limit hold'em tables? I have a friend who made $300 today with 8 hours of cotinous play. That is a good chunk of change considering he was playing on the $25 buy-in tables.

We were wondering if his results are typical of a decent player's expected take at partypoker. I think he got a little lucky, but he claims he has a "system" and that Monday is the toughest day to win because only hardened gamblers play on.

My retort was that college kids are on spring break (I just made that up) so he's playing against a bunch of drunken frat boys. [Wink]

What do you think?

[ May 11, 2004, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything less than 10,000 hands is a streak, impossible to evaluate without deeper analysis, although your swings will generally be less severe than a limit game of the same required bankroll; the real question is whether a given win % is sustainable. A very good player will make 3-4 big blinds / 100 hands over the long term, perhaps 6 if he is truly excellent and/or able to consistently find soft games (not hard at low-buy-in Party).

Online 10-handed games run about 50-70 hands / hour, so the question is how many tables was he playing?

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Beren,

The first sentence of your post is unacceptable.

The title of this thread is completely, absolutely, and in all other ways entirely unacceptable.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My retort was that college kids are on spring break (I just made that up)
wrong on this count! Most college kids are in the middle of FINALS week this week -- and probably not playing anything...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thrak
Member # 5499

- posted      Profile for thrak   Email thrak         Edit/Delete Post 
Beren, was he playing one of those $25 dollar No-Limit tables?
Posts: 115 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
sax: you're fighting a losing battle, my dear. Give in. Give in.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Richard, thanks for the analysis. My friend kept a record and said he played about 3,000 hands, well short of the 10,000 standard. I hope this bit of information is enough to stop him from spending too much time playing poker and more. Actually, this might have the opposite effect; he may insist on playing 10,000 hands just to see if he is on a streak. I think I'll keep Farmgirl's intel to myself. [Wink]

Saxy, it is either that or Stormy. [Razz]

Thrak, I think so, are you on there too?

Just out of curiosity Richard, are there other trusted sites for online poker playing aside from Partypoker?

[ May 11, 2004, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

I don't understand what you mean, Beren. Why would it bother me if you called Storm Saxon "Saxy"? Or did you legitimately think that I was the one that played online poker? Because I'm not.

Edit: ARGH! Now you people have ME doing it too! I meant to say "Why would it bother me if you called Storm Saxon 'Stormy'?" [Mad]

[ May 11, 2004, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Don't you want to be saxier than Storm Saxon?

OK, I admit I did think you are the one who plays online poker. Sorry. [Wink]

saxon75
Member # 4589

Fair enough. But until you change the title of the thread I officially hate you.
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

I understand Saxon. As someone who is frequently mistaken for Tom Cruise, I understand completely how frustrating it could be. Consider it done.
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Party has many affiliates (e.g. Empire) that all use the same servers. Other popular sites are Paradise, Pacific, Poker Stars, and Ultimate Bet. Some of them have novel rule tweaks like no capped betting when heads-up, and different sites offer bonus deals at different times, but in general table/player selection is the most important factor.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't play for money yet. I'm not patient enough. I think I play a bit to tight, but that may be that other people play looser when given play money.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.