FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ha ha ha he he he ho ho ho

Author Topic: Ha ha ha he he he ho ho ho
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
I continue my tradition of starting pointless threads with this link:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/victories.html [ROFL]

quote:
- Gallic Wars
- Lost. In a war whose ending foreshadows the next 2000 years of French history, France is conquered by of all things, an Italian.

- Hundred Years War
- Mostly lost, saved at last by female schizophrenic who inadvertently creates The First Rule of French Warfare; "France's armies are victorious only when not led by a Frenchman." Sainted.

- Italian Wars
- Lost. France becomes the first and only country to ever lose two wars when fighting Italians.

- Wars of Religion
- France goes 0-5-4 against the Huguenots

- Thirty Years War
- France is technically not a participant, but manages to get invaded anyway. Claims a tie on the basis that eventually the other participants started ignoring her.

- War of Revolution
- Tied. Frenchmen take to wearing red flowerpots as chapeaux.

- The Dutch War
- Tied

- War of the Augsburg League/King William's War/French and Indian War
- Lost, but claimed as a tie. Three ties in a row induces deluded Frogophiles the world over to label the period as the height of French military power.

- War of the Spanish Succession
- Lost. The War also gave the French their first taste of a Marlborough, which they have loved every since.

- American Revolution
- In a move that will become quite familiar to future Americans, France claims a win even though the English colonists saw far more action. This is later known as "de Gaulle Syndrome", and leads to the Second Rule of French Warfare; "France only wins when America does most of the fighting."

- French Revolution
- Won, primarily due the fact that the opponent was also French.

- The Napoleonic Wars
- Lost. Temporary victories (remember the First Rule!) due to leadership of a Corsican, who ended up being no match for a British footwear designer.

- The Franco-Prussian War
- Lost. Germany first plays the role of drunk Frat boy to France's ugly girl home alone on a Saturday night.

- World War I
- Tied and on the way to losing, France is saved by the United States. Thousands of French women find out what it's like to not only sleep with a winner, but one who doesn't call her "Fraulein." Sadly, widespread use of condoms by American forces forestalls any improvement in the French bloodline.

- World War II
- Lost. Conquered French liberated by the United States and Britain just as they finish learning the Horst Wessel Song.

- War in Indochina
- Lost. French forces plead sickness; take to bed with the Dien Bien Flu

- Algerian Rebellion
- Lost. Loss marks the first defeat of a western army by a Non-Turkic Muslim force since the Crusades, and produces the First Rule of Muslim Warfare; "We can always beat the French." This rule is identical to the First Rules of the Italians, Russians, Germans, English, Dutch, Spanish, Vietnamese and Esquimaux.

[ May 12, 2004, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: kaioshin00 ]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
So basically you're saying we should be GLAD that France didn't join us in our "war" on terror -- given their batting average, it could have been a jinx...
[Big Grin]

Thanks for the smile for this morning.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I think it's interesting that they chalk up the entire Napoleonic period as a "loss." By that standard, Rome never won anything, either.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Napolean should have died while he was on top like Alexander. That's why you don't ever hear anyone say "Napolean the Great".
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
And doesn't the Roman Empire give the Italians any military credibility?

I enjoy a good French military joke as much as the next guy, but they really did help us a lot in the Revolution. If the British had evacuated Cornwallis, the war could have lasted years longer.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaladinVirtue
Member # 6144

- posted      Profile for PaladinVirtue   Email PaladinVirtue         Edit/Delete Post 
Very funny, if not entirly accurate [Big Grin]
I think the last quote sums it up though.

"..the quote from last week's Wall Street Journal: "They're there when they need you."

Posts: 181 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
They left out Napoleon's efforts to put down the slave rebellion in Haiti that ended up with the loss of about 60,000 troops and Haiti to boot. One of the only successful slave rebellions in history.

The French, however, did manage to prosecute one successful war, by blowing up the original Greenpeace Rainbow Warrior ship... not sure if that counts as taking on a major military power, but a win is a win I guess.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lefty the One-armed Man
Member # 6161

- posted      Profile for Lefty the One-armed Man           Edit/Delete Post 
They also forgot the ill-fated invasion of Mexico by Napolean's nephew. Feliz Cinco de Mayo!
Posts: 18 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
My friend put this in his profile after the UN decision:

Going to war without France is like going hunting without your accordion.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you can always count on Americans to determine the sourness of any grape. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who thought of a song from The Wizard of Oz when I read the thread title?
[Dont Know]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
i think so
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly which song is that?
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hugh57
Member # 5527

- posted      Profile for hugh57   Email hugh57         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the title reminded me of "They're Coming To Take Me Away," by Napoleon XIV
Posts: 241 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Claims a tie on the basis that eventually the other participants started ignoring her.

I disagree with this being a tie for France. France gained massive influence and territory in Europe. And also, everyone started thinked French was just so cool. How is that a loss?

<--- just took AP history.

[ May 12, 2004, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
DH, I think it was in the emerald city.
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.