FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help Jon Boy find a good pop-up blocker

Author Topic: Help Jon Boy find a good pop-up blocker
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I've used the Google Toolbar for a while, and while it works great most of the time, there's one thing about it that really bugs me: there's no black list (or white list) that you can edit. See, the problem is that I've got the Merriam-Webster Collegiate toolbar installed, and it launches in a new window. The Google Toolbar sees the new window as a pop-up coming from whatever website I happen to be at, so there's no way I can make sure it doesn't get blocked.

So can anybody recommend a good blocker that will ignore all pop-up windows coming from a specified domain? It has to be free, of course, and I'd like something simple and easy to use that stays quietly out of the way. I think I'll try this one. It's got excellent reviews and lots of other nifty features. Anyone familiar with it?

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Does holding Ctrl work?

Alternatively, Proxomitron is very configurable, though not what I'd call simple. When I used it, it was more for fixing annoying bugs in JS interfaces than for blocking popups, but there is a ton of helpful code already out there.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
My browser (mozilla firefox) has pop-up blocking built-in, and you can give it a white list.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

But I can't install the Merriam-Webster Collegiate or Dictionary.com toolbars on Firefox, only on IE. And I use them enough that I don't want to switch browsers.

Richard, holding CTRL works, but I don't want to have to hit it every time I use the dictionary toolbars.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, I use Dave's quick toolbar thingie to do dictionary searches (and much more).

(edit - link)

[ May 13, 2004, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: Richard Berg ]

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't tried it yet, but my Yahoo! page keeps showing me a banner ad for the yahoo toolbar with pop-up blocker. You may want to try that.
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mintieman
Member # 4620

- posted      Profile for Mintieman   Email Mintieman         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what the dictionary.com tool bar does exactly, but you CAN add both Merriam-Webster Collegiate or Dictionary.com to the search box, so you can search them quickly on Firefox here
Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy, there is at least one plugin in Firefox that lets you highlight text and right-click to send to a dictionary search, and the nice thing is that you can use any dictionary site.

I use onelook.com, since it searches over 9-10 different dictionaries in one search.

-Bok

EDIT: Here is the URL for the plugin (actually, it's an extension): http://dictionarysearch.mozdev.org/

You can define it with up to 4 dictionaries.

[ May 13, 2004, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
We are currently testing out Pest Patrol here for our company.

We don't like, and forbid, the google toolbar for in-house. Because it's pop-up blocker will even block secondary internet windows that are SUPPOSED to come up from internal web pages, etc. (like little log-on secondary windows, or pages that tell the link to open in a new window).

So far we have liked Pest Patrol from our trials -- haven't rolled it out bank-wide though yet. I don't have a link.

We currently use Ad-Aware to clean up machines, but it doesn't prevent new stuff.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
The google toolbar DOES have a 'white list'. If you're on a site that you want popups to allow, CLICK on the pop-up-blocker button in the bar, and it'll turn it off for that site always.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Taalcon --

I know that, and you know that -- but try explaining that to 2000 moronic users....

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Like Jon Boy?
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

[Big Grin] no, that's not what I meant....

FG

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Taalcon, the Google Toolbar's whitelist doesn't ignore or allow pop-ups based on the origin of the pop-up. Thus, if I'm on Hatrack and have pop-ups allowed, Merriam-Webster works fine. But if I go to another site and have pop-ups blocked, Merriam-Webster doesn't work. I explained that in my first post. This is why I'm looking for a new pop-up blocker.

And thanks for the Firefox recommendation, guys, but it's not what I'm looking for. I've tried it with the dictionary extension thingy, and it's not an equivalent replacement. The M-W toolbar I'm using does not access the regular free M-W site, but rather the Collegiate site, which requires a log-in. Also, it allows you to type in any word and search the dictionary, thesaurus, Spanish-English dictionary, and a couple other things.

Thus, I am looking for a good pop-up blocker, not an alternative browser or dictionary search tool.

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you just sell your computer and get a mac?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Brilliant! It's exactly what I don't want, so of course it's the perfect solution to my problem.
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to say it, but it won't be long till the Google bar fails you. It'll still block some popups--mine says it has blocked 1438--but many more will slip through. I don't know of ANY good popup blockers. Everything I have tried is a failure.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad we could be such good help for you Jon Boy [Big Grin]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

And just think! With a slick new iBook, I can enjoy all the coolness of a computer that says, "That's right, I'm a graphic designer" without the burden of the functionality of my PC.
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you checked into the ones advertised at the bottom of the screen?
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this is a "new browser recomendation", but give me a chance will ya?

Opera has a built-in pop-up blocker that has been 100% effective for me over the past 3 years. Not too long ago they added a new feature that allows "requested pop-ups only". I enabled that option several months ago and still have received no unwanted pop-ups.

Try it, you might like it!

[ May 13, 2004, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: DSH ]

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

Did you try Proxomitron? If you don't like it, I know that there have been similar programs recommended to me since its development went dormant that I can look up if need be...
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Well, this is a "new browser recomendation", but give me a chance will ya?
No.
quote:
Did you try Proxomitron?
No, not yet. I'll give it a spin when I get home from work.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I need a new pop up blocker, or something, because while I still have the Google toolbar (latest version), popups are getting through. They even appear when I go to Sakeriver or Hatrack or Yahoo mail, all sites that are not supported by pop ups as far as I know.

Do I have spyware? I never download anything from here!

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
You have spyware.

Download and run Adaware and Spybot search and destroy.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Already did. Twice. No good.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Which version of windows?

And are you familiar with msconfig?

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Yes. But you know what, I'm talking to Zev. Maybe he'll know.
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the same problem, Katharina. I recommend you play the Sims.

No kidding.

Each time I have played the Sims for any length of time since the popups started, a strange error message has appeared and thereafter the popups have gone away for weeks.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

- posted      Profile for slacker   Email slacker         Edit/Delete Post 
Katharina, download Hijack This and post what processes are running on your machine. Someone here will be able to point you in the right direction to get rid of the spyware.

JonBoy, until you move on from IE, you're going to suffer from popups & spyware. Maybe they'll get it right in SP2, but you can bet that it won't be long before someone finds a way around it (the Google Toolbar only worked for 4 months for me before I started getting popups). That, and you'll still get to deal with the fun minefield of vulnerabilities for IE.

Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Slacker, that's exactly what happened. My surfing habits haven't changed at all and I never download anything on that computer, but the Google toolbar stopped working.

I have to use IE at least for work things because many of things I use only work on IE. Any ideas for something besides the Google toolbar?

fugu13
Member # 2859

If you haven't already, go to msconfig, choose the startup tab, and uncheck everything you don't specifically want to start up (I'm assuming you're in XP or 2000).
katharina
Member # 827

fugu, don't worry about it. I know from Zev what to do.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.