FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Two Heavy Metal Fans

Author Topic: Two Heavy Metal Fans
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Continuing our discussion of weapons...

Tessen.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Fabulous fighting fans!
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm, sharp metal objects.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

Once, I had to explain why I think weapons are beautiful and fascinating. It's tough to put into words.

Part of it is the delicate, artistic nature of many weapons. And part of it is the technical beauty.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm I may have just found a birthday present for Steve thanks to you!
http://www.e-budokai.com/hibuki/yawara.htm
AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

What a strange weapon.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
When he has been practicing jujitsu they use a lot of the principles using more common household objects like a broomstick or a dowelrod, I've just never seen an official "japaneese" one before or knew what they were called.

Actually a friend of mine has this long plastic coated oversized metal "key" about 7 inches long that looks like it is just a novel key chain attachment, but he can use it exactly like one of those yawara-bo. So he actually carries a concealed weapon with him at all times, and it is totally legal.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

There must be more hatrackers that like weapons. At least we have Psycho triad and Mackillian.
Suneun
Member # 3247

* is willing to be very stubborn *
Suneun
Member # 3247

And here's a mirror of the kata page for the iaido, because geocities has a bandwidth cap: here.
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I like weapons. I have a knife with a dragon handle. But am saving the $ for a katana. Must have one. I fenced for a while, dull bladed french foils lost their appeal.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I just bought my girlfriend a sword for her birthday. Granted, this shows more that she likes weapons than showing that I do, but still. I'm definitely all about the weaponry.

On a slightly unrelated note, if I never post again, then clearly giving the girlfriend a weapon was a bad idea. [Wink]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

Javert - Hahah

Val - Real, True, Nice katanas can be very expensive. When you get the money (I'd say don't spend less than $500), I'd do a lot of research before purchasing. There are very knowledgable and picky people out there that can help choose appropriate people to buy from.

ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I love knives and guns and such. Yes, I suppose that means I like weapons. I never thought of it like that. I just love beautiful precision metal instruments of all sorts. Calipers and micrometers and so on are also very nice. Lathes and milling machines too. So it isn't weaponry, per se, that gives rise to this love, but maybe it's a love of beautiful craftsmanship and artistry. Love of functional things that are well made, as well as beautiful.

I'm reading the letters of J.R.R. Tolkien and he really does dislike machines. I feel so heartbroken about that. I too love unspoiled countryside, and dislike pollution (there's a coke plant across town that has heaps of burnt slag that reminds me exactly of Sauron's realm, of the way things were in Mordor.) But still, as a waterwheel is beautiful, and a wheelbarrow, so are all machines, if they are well made, and in their right places. It's people's tastes which need to be schooled. They choose the cheap and ugly and throwaway every time over the beautiful and well made that lasts but naturally costs more. So it's the market that determines the ugliness of machines.

But as a maker of machines, what is right? Should I give the customer what they want, or indulge my own creative urges toward beauty and purity and function?

I wish I could talk these things over with the Professor. I feel grieved that he dislikes machines so much.

He said to Christopher who was apparently flying planes in WW2 that he felt about British warplanes the way a hobbit would feel if fellow hobbits were learning to ride the fell beasts of the Nazgul for the defence of the Shire.

[ May 15, 2004, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel the same way you do Anne Kate; a well crafted almost anything, that the maker poured his or her being into making, is almost invariably a beautiful thing.

You know, the other day I was driving along, looking at some really ugly metal power line towers (the kind that look like wire frame structures, if that helps convey what I'm talking about), and got to thinking about how beautiful they could look if we just took the time and energy to make them so. They could be opportunities for startlingly beautiful sculptures all over the country if we let them.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! I would love it if we just elvished up everything, making it gratuitously beautiful. Wouldn't that be cool? I love the way the highway bridge abutments in the Phoenix area have those southwest designs on them, for instance. But we could go much further than that. We could make the shapes beautiful too. I would so love to do that sort of work. Art and engineering combined. But it costs more. People don't want to pay more for stuff. They don't care that much. [Smile]
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.