FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Did anyone else watch Gilmore Girls? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Did anyone else watch Gilmore Girls?
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I missed Gilmore girls because of a stupid Pacers game, so I had a friend tell me what happened and she basically recited it to me.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Luke: "Do you know the last time I bought flowers for someone? Never, that's when! It's an easy stat to remember!"

[ May 21, 2004, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, when I grow up I wanna be a fan girl just like you.

Don't let that go to her head.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Don't worry, I won't tell her.

-----

Luke: "That's the romantic way to do this, dammit!"

[ May 21, 2004, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JO14921
Member # 6562

- posted      Profile for JO14921   Email JO14921         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so I know I'm really late commenting on this, but I'm sorry because I JUST HAVE TO! I saw this thread right away, but I didn't want to read any of it for fear of spoilers before I watched it. I had to wait to come home from college to watch it because my mom and I always watch this one together, haha I know... Which brings me straight into my first comment: Is this really a girl show? I think it takes a certain degree of appreciation. My dad always makes the effort to watch the shows my mom and I will watch, but frankly he falls asleep in his chair within five minutes. Gilmore Girls, though, he stays attentive throughout it all and laughs along with us. Also, I am not a girl at all in that respect. I really cringe my way through other shows on the WB, but this one focuses on a couple of really strong women who found themselves in an unconventional family situation, of which other people might look down on, and they're thriving! Which is a perfect transition for my next thought [Smile]

The whole Rory/Dean outcome was mighty painful. I can completely understand Lorelai's getting so upset about it. After all, isn't that how her last meeting with Christopher ended? It must have really hit home for her own daughter to do the same thing. I don't know, maybe I'm too naive but it bothered me. To tell the truth, Rory's character has been agitating me this entire year. She would act pretty snobby and superior to everyone, and I got attached to the young Rory, the innocent-always messing up-doesn't know how to act in social situations Rory. So yes, she was a disappointment to me in this episode, if not all year in small ways.

Truth be told, I hate Dean. There I said it, and now I know I might be ostracized for it, but hey. I am a hard core Jess fan, and Dean's jealousy and ridiculous attitude when it comes to Rory not doing what he wants has really turned me off from him. I find something extremely romantic about two people who are completely wrong for each other changing and trying just to make it work.

And lastly: I have been waiting for Luke and Lorelai since season 1. I even think it was the perfect way for it to happen. All of her past relationships were entered into on such a dramatic scale (ie: Rory's old teacher who was supposed to be so out of the question, and then her father's business partner who had to be kept a secret from her parents) Sometimes it's the ones that are entered into rationally and carefully that are the strongest.

Well, that's my two cents... Just out of curiosity, I think it would be interesting to see what other people who watch this show also enjoy watching? For me, my favorites are Will and Grace, this of course, Six Feet Under, and my favorite from long long ago, Roseanne. What about you guys??

Jen

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Six Feet Under, definitely.
Will and Grace and Roseanne, not so much.

West Wing had the same snappy patter that GG has, but then Aaron Sorkin left and it made me cry. I'm thinking it will get way fewer awards now.

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
My only other show that I watch all the time is Smallville. [Smile]
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*dances* The season premeire is tonight. I am completely, utterly unspoiled for what will happen.

We are having a solemn Gilmore Girls kind of party tonight. I am terribly excited. [Smile] !!!! I'm skipping Enrichment for this, which makes me feel sort of bad, but am contributing to the service project in other ways and trying to ignore that I'm buying my way out of church activity tonight for the sake of a TV show.

But it's THIS TV show. It's going to be wonderful, I'm sure.

------

I did read a little bit about how there will be conflict for our gorgeous lovers this season. Amy Sherman-Palladino said there has to be conflict - she can't have them just standing saying "You're pretty." "No, you're pretty."

Heh. I suppose it's possible that would get old.

Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Gilmore Girls fans! Ah, the glee of finding other people in the world who like OSC AND Gilmore Girls! Heaven, really! I have to miss tonight's premiere, so a friend's taping it. I actually made him do a practice run last night just to make sure his VCR was in good working order, etc. Can't wait!!!
Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Hey Lucky, it's nice to meet you. [Smile] You're from the South, right?
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] I'm so excited! I can't be home for the premier either because of a choir rehearsal, but my wonderful sister is going to record it for me. I can't wait!
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the last half of the season finale last week.

I think I may add Gilmore Girls back to the must-see list -- and it's a much shorter list than it was at this same time last year. Angel was cancelled; I've lost interest in 24; there are no new shows that I'm remotely interested in; Friends is gone (I used to feel guiltly about watching it semi-regularly, but now that I've cast my eyes about at the rest of the sitcom world, wow, Friends actually looks pretty good); and I just can't get in to the West Wing or Alias and am not fond of cop shows [at least not since Homicide].

It's down to the Gilmore Girls, Scrubs and Arrested Development as must sees. And then King of the Hill, the Simpsons, George Lopez Show and Everwood as the second tier -- watch if I have time.

I wish the Gilmore Girls was on at 9 p.m. though. I'd be able to watch it more regularly [of course, then it would conflict with Scrubs. I guess I just can't win].

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I can't wait to see the season Premier, I didn't see the finale till last week. I love the show even if my dad does claim they talk to fast.
Lucky4
Member # 1420

Katharina, thanks for the welcome! Yes, I'm a southerner currently in Nashville. Enjoy your party tonight!
Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRR
Member # 6601

- posted      Profile for RRR   Email RRR         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay another Tennessean! *in Knoxville*

I didn't realize I would be missing Gilmore Girls when I signed up for my calculus class. I need a Tivo. I'm sure I'll forget to record it multiple times.

Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

So did you see it? What'd you think?

------

I want to kill Dean. Setting aside what he's doing to HIS WIFE, I can't believe how badly he is hurting Rory. She's an idiot for getting involved, but he's seriously screwing her up. [Frown] Poor girl. I don't think she's guiltless, but I can feel bad for her.

-----

"If either one of us were a frog, there'd be some serious consequences to that kiss."

Heh.

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
What time is Gilmore Girls on? I actually had some time to watch TV last night, so I decided to watch it. It wasn't on at 6:00 like it was when I watched it last. Hm. I suppose I could look this up. [Smile]
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

It comes on at 7:00 here, but I don't know about Mountain Time.

------

Lorelai: I can't believe you did this!
Michel: Oh, yes, you can.

It was all in the delivery.

Lucky4
Member # 1420

Something about that show can get me more emotionally involved than I normally get about situations in my own life!! I felt blindingly sad after the show last night. The whole situation seems almost unredeemable, though I trust Amy Sherman-Pallidino to make it all ok. It's tv! I don't watch expecting to experience week-long depression!! I watch hoping to find other people's lives neatly tied up in cute red packages with quaint white bows!! For breaking the mold, I want to strangle the Gilmore Girls and kiss them, all at the same time!!

This is what happens when you have a girl in the band, deal with it!!

sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have time for tv this semester. Can I get summaries.
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Rory and Dean slept together again ( [Frown] ), Rory realized that Dean hadn't actually left his wife, Dean treats his wife like crap, Richard and Emily have a fight, Emily takes off for Europe for the summer, Rory goes with her, Lorelai's mad, Rory doesn't know about the Luke/Lorelai kiss but Sookie does, Sookie's stoked, and Lorelai and Luke flirt on the phone, confirm that it was a good idea, and Luke has to take off for a few weeks to take care of his sister, but he buys a phone so he can talk to Lorelai. [Smile]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I loved Emily going out the window without her skirt.

It was just fantastic, the whole episode, though I really wanted rory to stop being mad at her mom, even if it will be really hard.

Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
[DILEMMA SOLVED DUE TO REALIZATION OF MEMORY FART]

[ September 22, 2004, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

AAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! I forgot to watch Scrubs!!

In my world, it comes on immediately after.

I need to cultivate friends with televisions. This is surprisingly difficult lately.

[ September 22, 2004, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
"Only a prostitute has two glasses of wine at lunch."

Ruth, it came on at 9:00 last night, I think. That was the second showing.

I can't wait till Luke starts tending the Ren Faire booth for his sister. *giggles like mad*

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRR
Member # 6601

I forgot about Gilmore Girls until 8:01 when my mom changed the channel. I screamed "GILMORE GIRLS!" and she threw me the remote. I completely missed last season so I was slightly confused about what was going on. Too bad the box set of it isn't already out. (I have to wait until December for season 2. Grr.)

I didn't like Rory so much in this episode. Why is she being so mean to Lorelai? It seems to me like she's projecting her anger at her self at Lorelai instead. I'm glad Lorelai and Luke finally got together.

Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

You know what? I'm stupid. Scrubs DOES come on at 9:30pm. and I missed it 'cause I was dumb. Dumb and stupid.

I also missed the 10pm Nip/Tuck, which is downloading right now as we speak.

I will NOT miss tonight's Smallville or Rescue Me.

[ September 22, 2004, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

No, you're not. You're just thinking about other things.

*small voice* I'd like to point out that this much like what happens in airports.

Taalcon
Member # 839

I didn't say I am Dumb and stupid, I said I was. It was temporary, but recurring. Just not chronic.

[ September 22, 2004, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

katharina
Member # 827

"Are you rebelling? Shouldn't this have happened five years ago? You blast goth music and slam the door to your bedroom now, you'll just confuse your roommates."

We were hysterical at that one.

[ September 22, 2004, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Lucky4
Member # 1420

RRR- just noticed your comment about Knoxville! I'm originally from Knoxville- just living in Nashville finishing up school. It's so exciting to see another Tennessean!! Are you originally from TN, or elsewhere? Good to meet you!!
RRR
Member # 6601

I've lived here all my life. It's good to meet you too. [Smile]
katharina
Member # 827

Television without Pity's recap of the Gilmore Girls premiere is up.
Taalcon
Member # 839

*makes a point of not reading it.*

TWOP takes all the redeeming qualities of a show and ruins them for me. Nope. No TWOP for me.

katharina
Member # 827

quote:
Lorelai excuses herself three steps to the left to have a private conversation with Luke. The foyer, it is soundproof, you see. Luke stammers that he has to get back to the diner. Taylor, who doesn't believe in soundproof foyers, says he's still standing there. Lorelai stammers that she has to...trail off mid-sentence, as Luke stammers that he's got some...trailing off to do as well.
TWOP makes me laugh. This would be enough for redemption, even if it needed it.

[ September 27, 2004, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

katharina
Member # 827

Norman Mailer will guest star on ''Gilmore Girls.''
quote:
The literary lion will play himself, a visitor to Lorelai's inn by Gary Susman

The next big celebrity guest star on Gilmore Girls is a fellow who's a tad outside the WB's youthful demographic: author Norman Mailer. USA Today reports that the 81-year-old literary lion will make his TV acting debut by playing himself on an episode airing in about a month. Son Stephen will play a reporter who interviews the writer while he's a guest at Lorelai's (Lauren Graham) inn.

What was it about the show that attracted Mailer (who noted that he wrote a famous book, The Executioner's Song, about killer Gary Gilmore)? "It had taste. It was witty and well put together. It had a certain élan that I liked," Mailer told USA Today. Turns out he also liked the show's trademark overcaffeinated repartée, even improvising some of his own dialogue. Shooting Mailer "was completely intimidating," said executive producer Amy Sherman-Palladino. '"But it was one of those moments where you say, ‘This is why you do this.'"

1. *wriggles happily* That's pretty cool.
2. Next big celebrity guest star? Have they EVER had a celebrity guest star on there?

--Katie
Member of the Gilmore Girls Fan Thread

katharina
Member # 827

The recap is up on TWOP.
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I just loved that throwaway reference to Some Kind of Wonderful. [Smile]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

I only caught the last 3/4 but it was a good episode. I think I'll try and make a greater effort to watch it.

Luke and Lorelei in the diner (the other one) -- how perfect of a scene was that? This might be the first time in the history of TV where the guy and the girl get together and it's still interesting.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I thought it was fabulous. "Luke has a Luke's!"

Paris had the very best line of the episode. I love her.

I watched this with Coccinelle, and our differing reactions to Luke's "I've loved you since the day I met you." story were very telling. She about melted, and I (reportedly) got a look of fear on my face and pulled away from the TV. Luke is adorable, but I think he's going to scare the crud out of Lorelai if he hasn't already. On the other hand, she was there for the preparation for that moment and we (the viewers) haven't been, so maybe it didn't freak her out as much as it did me.

I'm glad you liked it, Zal. [Smile]

[ October 06, 2004, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
They've been flirting for EIGHT years!

I loved Luke: "This is my relationship, not yours, not yours, (points to Lorelai) yours (nods) and NOT yours!"

Talk about telling the town who's in charge of his life!

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

They went from flirting to "I've loved you for eight years, carried a memento of the day we met in my wallet for eight years, and, by the way, I'm planning on us never breaking up and I'm so sure of it that I promise to move away from the town I've lived in all my life and that my family has lived in for generations if we do.

<pause> By the way, you with me?"

Holy CRAP!!!

I'm just saying there's no doubt he makes her weak at the knees and she adores and depends on him, but I have a feeling that rushing or pushing her is not a good idea. [Smile] She's been saying no to the love her life for twenty years because she was scared of what it would be like to be with him - she can say no to the other love of her life, too.

Added: It is nice to know that there is someone who takes care of Luke as much as he takes care of other people, though. That makes sense. [Smile]

[ October 06, 2004, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I stand firm in my position that it's incredibly romantic. [Smile]
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Yeah, Paris was great in this episode.

But what's with surly blond rich boy II i.e. Tristan Jr.?

katharina
Member # 827

<very small voice> I liked him.
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

He was trying too hard to look like he wasn't trying hard.

But at least he is interesting. Dean is so very uninteresting.

katharina
Member # 827

Dean is whiney. This guy sparkled.
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad I wasn't the only one disturbed by Luke's sudden admission of his eight-year infatuation with Lorelei. It did seem very creepy to me.

And what's with Luke suddenly talking like Lorelei and every other character on the show? I respected Amy Sherman-Palladino's dialogue writing more because he alone sounded different from everybody else, but it turns out that when he starts to talk, he doesn't. Ah, well.

I thought the whole Paris thing was done pretty well, but I didn't like Luke and Lorelei jumping right into bed on their first date. What happened to two people who have taken eight years to even get to a first date? I don't know . . . I just didn't believe it. It seems that this season, every character has gotten skanky and I don't like it. It's not just the prude in me, either . . . I don't know; I'm just not completely buying it based on what I know of the characters, and when that happens, it's always a bad thing, in my opinion.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! SwiftVet and Florida election reference within two minutes of each other. Now that's fair and balanced. [Big Grin]

I love how Lorelai tried to get people to vote for Taylor. [Smile]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

Can I get a rundown from this week? I fell asleap and missed all but the last fifteen minutes. What happened with Rory and Dean?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.