FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » anti-cat bird

Author Topic: anti-cat bird
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I have this bird around my house, it showed up a few days ago. I also have two cats in the house who have been around for years. And now, whenever one of my cats are lying in the window this bird flys down, hovers a few inches away from the window, and screams it's freaking head off. Anyone know what this is all about?
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure. All birds do that.

Warning away from their territory.

Birds in our front yard constantly dive-bomb our cats. Especially in the spring when they have nests and babies to defend.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
It hovers? What kind of bird is this?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JO14921
Member # 6562

- posted      Profile for JO14921   Email JO14921         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, birds are freaks. All of a sudden this one bird started antagonizing my dog I have had for years once we let him in the backyard. Divebombing is the perfect word for this actually; it would swoop down really fast and hit the back of my dog. It would do this several times a day for weeks, even if someone was standing by the dog the entire time. Eventually one day when we let the dog out, he caught the bird...I suppose you can only take that for so long.

I guess the only thing you can do is wait it out, the bird will eventually move on...just don't let the cats out [Wink]

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
American Kestrels are one of the few birds, besides hummingbirds, that can hover.

quote:
Kestrels often hover above prey like a helicopter before swooping down for a capture
Kestrels also eat cats. [Evil Laugh]

[ May 21, 2004, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: skillery ]

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Its not so wierd or freaky.

Momma has new youngens in the tree.

She sees predators below.

She can either try to hide her noisy children, or try to convince that dangerous predator to go elsewhere.

She knows nothing about fences or pets or canned dog food.

All she knows is that this particular canine or feline has chose to linger around her children's home.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
well, the cat that usually escapes escaped yesterday. It didn't kill the bird, but i did see the bird dive bombing it.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.