FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Baby Davidson countdown (Page 0)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Baby Davidson countdown
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. *grin*
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
We tried everything to get this last baby to arrive. I was dialated to a 6 for a couple of weeks. I was walking, jogging, hopping, drinking red raspberry leaf tea. Sex would get contractions started, but they wouldn't last. I wasn't going to let the midwife strip my membranes (don't remember why now).

I finally broke down and had her do it. When even a walk didn't seem to keep labor going after that, sex pushed me just over the edge enough. On the way to the hospital when my water began leaking I thought "Thank goodness! Now there is no going back."

What must be understood here is that 1) I didn't want any pitocin to have to be administered 2) I wanted as much of the labor to happen at home as reasonably possible. Also, my parents had already been out visiting for nearly a week and were soon to go home, and my sister was just about to move away.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
So what's up? Has anyone heard anything from Tom or Christy?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Given that Tom is posting pretty regularly today, I'm guessing Christy isn't in the hospital.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Dr. Pepper with a tablespoon of castor oil. Worked for me! (to start labor)

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

*shudders at the castor oil* Yeah, my doctor loosely recommended that one, but warned me I'd have diarrhea more than contractions.

No dialation, just starting to efface. Its going to be a few more days at least.

Tom was going to bring the laptop, though. *giggle* So posting regularly might not necessarily mean that nothing is happening.

[ June 30, 2004, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome. We can all get into chat and Tom can give us a play-by-play once your labor starts. I mean, what else is he gonna do during all that time? [Wink]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

*pies Space Opera*
[Razz]

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I can picture it now.

TomDavidson: The veins on her forehead are pulsing rapidly, and she has a murderous look in her eyes.

TomDavidson: She seems angry. She just said "Put down that ******* computer and come hold my hand you **** **** ***** *** ***** *****."

TomDavidson: afk brb omg baby

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see the chat now. Thirty-five people all typing PUSH! PUSH! over and over...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. *beaming

Uh, I get out at around 9pm, so I guess Christy will be asleep? She's staying home tomorrow, yes? Or going to work?

Do you guys need anything? Can I come over tomorrow or call, just to say hi, not to get in the way, I promise?

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

On second thought, perhaps I'll hide the laptop!
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I did castor oil with Olivia, except I was otld to cook my scrambled eggs in it. They help "bind" it so the runs aren't so bad. It was nASTY though.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in the next room when my oldest was born. Taking a nap. We had gone to the hospital at about 3AM and I was tired. They gave mcubed an epidural and it took her hours to have the kid. I remember watching the Clarence Thomas hearings on CNN or something.

Good luck you two.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

I know its a very personal decision and I don't mean to be judgemental, but I want Tom there with me. I would be very hurt if he was in the other room watching CNN while I gave birth. Not that I want to inflict suffering on my husband or out of any sense of making him endure because I am in pain, but just for the simple fact that I would like to share this experience with him and I think it is a very emotional time that can never be duplicated.

I feel very fortunate that Tom has been so understanding and supportive of this. I don't know what I would do without him.

CT ??? I'm not in labor. No worries yet! It will be a few days. I'm still at work and planning to be for the rest of the week, although I did have a horrible migraine this morning complete with nausea. Luckily, that seems to have subsided, but ugh. You're more than welcome to come over just to be sure, though. *giggle*

[ June 30, 2004, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Christy,

I also want Tom there with you. I guess in my own way I'm hoping, as he sees that new life form arrive and be bundled into his arms -- for a moment he might actually believe in the great Creator.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't count on it. Wouldn't rule it out, either, but...

I was present for both my sons' births and each time it was powerful, transcending, and deeply emotional. Tears were streaming down my face and there was more emotion in me than I could express. With the second birth I had an arm around her neck and was holding her right leg with my other arm, giving her something to brace against. I have never been more awed or more in love with Teres than in those last few minutes when Jamie slid into the world.

Didn't affect my agnosticism a bit.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
But, see, agnosticism allows for the possibility of a divine being of some sort without being certain of it having any organized involvement in our lives.

I'm just saying...

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Heehee...Farmgirl, I can't resist, so forgive me in advance, okay?

I think there's a good chance that Tom will believe in God once he holds his "new life form." Because if your wife gives birth to an alien, it's either believe in Divine intervention or just go plain crazy.

[Razz] space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Fair enough. To clarify: at the time of my kids' births, I had no thoughts about a Supreme Being(s) of any type. Love, wonder, fear, excitement, anticipation, all of that. No thoughts about higher powers. Sorry.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

[ROFL] <- space opera!

Okay -- so sometimes I choose funky word combinations. That was one of them. I knew what I was thinking, but it did sound weird that way.

FG

[ June 30, 2004, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

No, no, I've met Tom. Birthing an alien life form wouldn't surprise me a bit.
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait—Who's giving birth: Christy or Tom?

[Angst]

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

Well, this alien life form has decided that she's in too comfy a symbiosis to leave!

In other words, still waiting and past due...

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
D'oh! *crosses fingers* Hurry up! [Razz]
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Rats. You go me excited there, for a minute. *smile

I've been obsessively checking the phone. [Grumble]

[ July 06, 2004, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Space Opera!!!

My hub was there for all three births, loved it, wouldn't have missed it...but is still agnostic leaning toward atheism. I was hoping though, each time.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
No baby yet? Where's little j/k ?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Okay, you all. I would just like to point out how highly inconvenienced I am by this child's lateness.

Here I sit, twiddling my thumbs, anxious to fly out at a second's notice. I mean, I can hardly shake the thought of the phone ringing as I stretch and limber up at my ballet barre, exerting full range of motion. Certainly it comes to mind as I spend half a dozen hours between bathroom breaks, if not longer.

Why, as I rest comfortably through the night, occasionally a brief thought of little Rosie will enter into the dreams of my deep, deep slumber.

*sigh

When ever is she going to come?

[Big Grin]
*poke at Christy
*nudge, nudge

Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, holy crap, dude. Good luck! And I hear it's best if you take the drugs. You miss out on the "natural" experience of your body splitting in two, but on the plus side, you won't be cursing Tom out for doing this to you the bastard I hate him I hate him I hate him oh god let me dddiiiiieeeee...

You'll make great parents.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
Best wishes and good luck. P.S. (Don't take a gun to the hospital. . . because there will be a point where you will want to shoot Tom, then the doctor, and well, you get the picture. It could be ugly, but it's all worth it in the end!
Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Christy. Jules and I are both really excited for the two of you - and we can't wait to bring you guys baby presents. (I know, we could have done so before, but now we've got money. [Smile] )

When Davidson 2.0 makes his/her appearance, it'll be

[Party] time!

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

So, SOMEBODY has got to tell us when things start happennin'.

I know you've already worked out who's driving you to the hospital, and who will be present at the birth, etc.

I just wanna know who your designated poster is. That is, the person with the honor of announcing little Rose's arrival while you guys are all otherwise engaged.

So?

*waggles eyebrows*

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
Christy-- for what it is worth-- a massage therapist friend of mine (who actually lives in MAdison!)once claimed that massaging the ankles could bring on labor. She said to really work on the sensitive area behind and below the ankle bone. Basically on either side of the tendon. My first baby was born very late, I had to be induced, so we'd planned to try this when I was pregnant with my second, to avoid another induction labor. Naturally my daughter came 2 weeks early so it wasn't necessary. SInce then I've resommended it to several overdue friends. None have ever tried it so I don't know if it works.

Not as fun as some of the suggestions here but worth I try, I always thought...

ctm

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Ok, Christy, here's the deal. Just put yourself into a very inconvenient situation for labor to start. Get really really tired or decide to go out on a date. Babies just love to come when they're least expected! My labor with my daughter started at midnight. I had just gone to bed and thought, "No! Not right now; I'm too tired!"
Many hugs, though. I know it's tough waiting.

space opera

Olivetta
Member # 6456

Sex can induce labor, if you don't use a barrier (like WHY you'd use a barrier at this stage of the game... but *shrug* ). Also, a small dose of Castor oil, I'm told.

Dunno if it's an old wives' tale or not. I thought I read that there was some scientific basis for it. The sex thing is true, though. When I was opening early with Robert, they told me not to have sex, even with a condom, as it might induce labor early.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

The cervix can be "ripened" by the application of prostaglandins, which come from, naturally, the "prostate gland." Prostaglandins are also released locally by uterine tissue upon stimulation.

Nipple stimulation induces the release of oxytocin from the posterior pituitary, which aids both in milk letdown and in inducing uterine contractions (thus the injunction to put babies to breast ASAP -- helps tighten a "loose" uterus & thereby diminishes blood loss postpartum).

The uterine contractions of orgasm are also thought to stimulate further contractions, perhaps. There's a lot about sex that may stimulate birthin' the babies.

The body is a beautiful thing. [Smile]

[ July 06, 2004, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

*cough

Not that I'm, like, recommending anything or anything. As if I would be so bold, sitting here all lonely and all, waiting for m-- , er, the baby.

[Wink]

Christy
Member # 4397

*sigh* All points taken into consideration. Doc estimates the wee bairn at 7+ lbs and so is a bit nervous at me going too close to 42 weeks just because of pure size. I have an appointment on Friday to discuss induction. [Frown] I think she's hoping to stress me/baby out enough that I'll worry myself into labor. I've been too happy and comfortable. *laugh* I am 2cm dialated and -1 station, though, which is improved from last week. I cleaned all day at work today and after my doctors appointment. Major nesting going on here. [Smile]

----
Warning: Too much information! Read at your own risk.
----

Tried the breast pump and manual expression today for stimulation and because I've been curious. Gosh did I feel very inadequate! The funny thing was that Tom had more of a feel for manual expression than I did! I think reading about it actually hindered rather than helped me. I kept telling him that wasn't how they described it in the book! I felt a bit more comfortable, though, after some practice.
----
*pledges to call CT every time I wake up to go to the bathroom at night* I dreamed last night that I could see her little face through the skin on my stomach and was showing everyone. [Smile]

No guns, as few drugs as I can...

*giggle* Tom plans to bring the laptop, but we'll leave the official posting up to CT just in case.

Hrm...haven't heard of the ankle massage. Might give that a try [Smile] As for inconveniencing myself, I think I've been good enough to stop just before exhaustion and so all the activity I've had hasn't really done anything for me. My doctor keeps congratulating me, though, for being so active and looking so good.

*pokes CT back again*

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

(Yea! I get to be the official poster!

*does the official-poster dance )

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
CT, I didn't know you could break-dance.... [Taunt]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Hey, I didn't say I could do it well.

[Wink]

Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Geeze, Christy! Still no baby? Come on, let's get moving! [Wink]

Also, thank you so much for going to the fire station to get your seat checked out. [Smile] Remember to keep the harness snug, no more than a finger should be able to fit between her collar bone and the strap, and keep the retainer clip at armpit level. Also, every once in a while, check the tightness of the seat - it shouldn't be able to move more than an inch at the belt path (where the seat belt goes through the car seat). And keep an eye on the angle of the back of the seat - as close to 45 degrees as possible. If you see that it's tipping, bring it back in to have it adjusted. Or, you know, call me, and we'll come up to see you all and fix the seat in the meantime. [Big Grin] Any excuse, right?

I can hardly wait to meet little Baby Davidson! I hope she comes soon! [Big Grin]

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Was that just....The Worm????? [Eek!]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
::delurks::

::reserves this spot for the party smiley::

::lurk::

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

*sigh* Still no baby? I can't take the tension!
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's got to be really stressful, not knowing whether she's had the baby or not. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

[Razz]
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Tom, try to have some empathy for others!

It's not like you've got anything to be preoccupied with of your own. [Wink]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Christy has this perfectly magical figure. From behind, she's just a tiny slip of a thing with her legs a little broad-stanced (as if she's itchin' for a fight). From the side you see this precise curving egg of a belly, dropped low to her hips, rounded and graceful. From the front, she's all smiles and soft fluffy hair and big pretty eyes.

I'm torn. I want to play with the baby, but I kinda think perfection shouldn't be messed with. [Smile]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.