FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Today is mackillian's day (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Today is mackillian's day
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.lds.org/temples/main/photo/0,11505,2020-1-135-2,00.html

This is a picture of the Boston LDS Temple, the building of which was a huge controversy. One of the things people copmplained about was the steeple. Hello. New England is all about really huge steeples.

Anyway, I think this will be macks Temple. (Mack?) When does an LDS member worship at the temple? Always? Or only on certain occasions?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Beats me. I think I get told when I'm shown how to access the pods. [Wink]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
You can get a restricted recommend right away, and go to youth temple night to do baptisms. The full temple endowment can be done after you've been a member for a year.

I've yet to get my endowment. I keep hesitating and feeling unsure. Hobbes and Dave and Mac may beat me to it.

Two girls in my ward said they were going to wait until they are married to go to the temple. I thought perhaps I'd do the same, or maybe wait until I get ready to go on a full time mission, if, as seems probable, I never marry.

But I feel very sure that I will go someday. I went once on youth temple night and it was wonderful. I don't want to derail Jamie's thread but if anyone wants to tell me anything about making that commitment, I would like to hear what you think. I don't really know why I'm waiting. The reasons that occur to me seem very minor. Yet I just feel it's not yet time.

[ May 31, 2004, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
ak-- Go with your gut. Make sure that your mind is directing you toward God, though.

If you want to talk about the temple, I'd be open to an email exchange.

Email's in the profile.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't gone yet either.
My spouse tells me that after I do, he's going to make fun of the garments. He thinks such things are stupid.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Yozhik:

it sucks being married to someone who doesn't believe in the church - or at least tolerate it. My husband even joined 9 years ago, but is now totally antagonistic toward it.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming that it sucks less than NOT being married to him, though, right?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I'm late, but Congratz.

About the time you were being baptized, I was watching "Sgt York". As a war movie, this is one of the best Pacifist movies I've ever seen.

At one point, York explains (in Gary Cooper's best southern accent) "Pastor, I don't think religion is somethin you need to go and find. I'm a thinkin its somethin that, well, kinda finds you when its a ready for ya."

I heard that and thought of Mack. Who'd of thought you'd find wisdom at the movies?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth,

An LDS member can worship any time during the day from Tuesday to Saturday, with Mondays closed early. It depends on when they decide and how often. I know some who go once a year, once a month or week, and once or twice during their life. I have known some older people who go almost every day a Temple is open.

It is not open on Sundays because that is the day of regular community worship where Sacrement/Communion is taken and other activities. Churches that anyone can go into are used at this, and some other, times. Monday nights are closed so that families can be together for their own activities at home.

[ June 01, 2004, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Occasional ]

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
That is really interesting, thank you.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

TomDavidson:

it's a complicated issue. Although I was raised LDS, I met and married my husband when I was going through kind of a rebellious stage. Now I'm living with the consequences of a very bad decision.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're not joined to your husband in the temple, what consequences can there really be? Surely you don't care that much about civil divorce?

(Or are there children involved?)

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, if my wife honestly thought of life with me as "dealing with the consequences of a very bad decision," I'd be devastated (And out of there, but then, we don't have kids).

Does your husband know that you feel this way? Does he feel the same way about life with you?

But, back to the subject at hand, congratulations Mack!

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

TD: two girls, and the stress is affecting them. Also, there are financial considerations.

Amanda and Cayla

Noemon: he lost my respect and caring when he got involved with other women online. The romantic love had already worn off, but I thought we could still be together.

And part of this, from my side at least, is the stress of wanting to live a good LDS life but living with someone who wants nothing to do with the church. Of course, I have to admit that I haven't been trying very hard.

[ June 02, 2004, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: CaySedai ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. Well, that explains it. I'm sorry that you're having to experience that.

I like that photo by the way--cute kids! What is the one with the doll doing? Somehow the way she's holding it up and holding her other hand looks purposeful.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Cayla was holding a barbie and barbie's horse (okay, it's really a My Scene Barbie - she would correct me on that).

And she was waving. [Smile]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.