FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is there any such thing as a movie nobody likes? (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is there any such thing as a movie nobody likes?
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The problem here is that even if you somehow find a movie that EVERYBODY at Hatrack doesn't like, you're still dealing with a really insignificant amount of the population.
nah, I doubt even the writers and actors liked Gili
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, if you're referring to my post up there where i named the Running Man, The Stand, and Stand by Me, i was actually mentioning those as good Steven King movies.

just for clarification. [Smile]

Also, just as a note, I happen to have enjoyed quite a few movies people have listed here as movies nobody would like. But it would take me way too long to list all of them with explanations why.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
never much cared for "Birth of a Nation."

[ June 05, 2004, 01:36 AM: Message edited by: fallow ]

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill
Member # 3376

- posted      Profile for Jill   Email Jill         Edit/Delete Post 
What about Gigli?
Posts: 274 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Ken Park.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Urg! I HATE Birth of a Nation.
They tortured us with that movie in literature class.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that the one about the Klan in the early 1930s or so?

I *hate*, with the burning passion of a thousand suns, Koyaanisqatsi and A.I.

[ June 05, 2004, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The problem here is that even if you somehow find a movie that EVERYBODY at Hatrack doesn't like, you're still dealing with a really insignificant amount of the population. I can guarantee you that there is no movie in existence that *nobody* likes.
I think sometimes a movie is thrown together to meet a deadline and stinks beyond belief, and the people involved are the most ashamed of it. Like:

"Wild Wild West"

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
Worst movie nobody's seen:

Garfield

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as my comment on Stephen King films being on a worst list, I was actually referring to the decade of really bad films that lasted from the late 70's to the early 90's. In this period, we all had to suffer through such dreck as Cujo, Christine, The Silver Bullet, The Children of the Corn, The Lawnmower Man, Maximum Overdrive (the title was something like that), Pet Cemetaryy, Pet Cemetary 2, and a half dozen forgetable others.

The first two King films, The Shining and Carrie, were actually pretty good. These were followed by his awful period.

In the recent past, there have actually been a few watchable and even a few enjoyable King movies. WIth Kingdom Hospital, however, he has slipped back to his bad period. Maybe he has not fully recovered from the accident.

In my opinion, there have been more bad movies made from King's works than from any other author.

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
The only people who don't hate Bartleby (Crispin Glover at his most boring), are those that, mercifully, haven't been unfortunate enough to see it.

Think of it as the pointlessness and weirdness of a David Lynch movie, slowed down to a Stanley Kubrick pace. Bleah!

Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, I feel compelled to say that I love the Godzilla/Matthew Broderick (The worm guy) version.

Bad movies:

I agree with Ishtar, Gigli, and Battlefield Earth.

I also add:

All Dogs Go To Heaven 2
Freejack
Halfbaked
Fletch 2
Conan The Destroyer (although I loved that one)
Any of the Robocop sequels
Bill and Ted's Bogus Adventure

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Alucard, that's "Bogus Journey." Gosh, get it right! [Wink] I agree with you though, that movie was embarassing.

Ok, my contribution to this list is:

The Year of Living Dangerously.

I'm sure there were great performances. Mel Gibson was ridiculous eye candy. I even own it, just for his sake.

But it's awful!! So boring!!

[ June 05, 2004, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
As of this afternoon I have the pleasure of adding: "The Book of Mormon Movie".

It's not that there aren't people who say they like it. But there are people who say they like wheat grass juice too. If they think something is really good for them...

It was the costumes. They were so clean and obviously new, it was reminiscent of a CG animation feature.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
The Book of Mormon movie isn't so bad if you pretend that it's just a stake road show. But great cinema, it is not.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Pet Sementary was terrible.
Stupid milk or oil trucks...
But Misery was quite good as well as Delores Claiborn.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chizpurfle
Member # 6255

- posted      Profile for Chizpurfle   Email Chizpurfle         Edit/Delete Post 
No. I think that there is always someone who likes something. There are even people who liked Gigli.

I am also one of the people who had really liked Cabin Boy when I first watched it. I was a kid back then, so my memory of it is a bit vague.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Eyes Wide Shut

I don't know if I hate that movie because it is dreadful, or I hate that movie because it didn't live up to my expectations. Of course, I'm not really sure what I was expecting. But when your lead actors nearly have to be hospitalized from the emotional exhaustion of working on a movie, you expect it to be...well...an emotional film.

Bleah.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

muppet,

what didn't you like about AI?

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I forgot how much I dislike Eyes Wide Shut. Even the nudity was not sufficently erotic.
Worse is...
SHOWGIRLS!

Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to watch 'A Clockwork Orange' the other day. It was more boring, gratuitous, badly acted and stupid than anything else I have ever seen, bearing in mind that I actually go out of my way to watch rubbish movies because I find them funny.

This one wasn't even funny.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
Bulletproof Monk.
Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but I really enjoyed Bulletproof Monk. It was silly fun.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Van Helsing is arguably the worst movie ever made.

Although someone could make a case for Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon and get my vote.

Come to think of it, they both suffer from the same problem: Ludicrous premise, zero plot, meaningless character development, and spending the entire film budget on special effects.

Which, in retrospect, weren't all that special.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Thought of a movie I haven't seen on here yet:

"Supergirl"

Took it out several times and couldn't force myself to watch it all the way through.

Any fans of the movie?

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I loved Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Go Eleanor and Marianne!!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
Milk Money.

*shudder*

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot all about Supergirl (or maybe I just tried to forget). It is by far the worst movie of the entire superhero genre (which is full of really bad movies, including the recent Hulk fiasco).

Crouching Tiger is also really awful, despite all of the publicity.

I also agree that the new Garfield movie has the potential to be on the list.

For your consideration, I must include the following sequels to successful movies:

Star Trek 5: The Final Frontier ("What does God need with a starship?")\
The Godfather 3 (which should be subtitled: How to destroy a franchise)

A View to a Kill (worst Bond story, worst Bond song, worst Bond acting-followed closely by the most recent Bond as worst Bond film)

Attack of the Clones (five words: JarJar Binks is a senator!!!)

Superman IV: THe Quest for Peace. (no commentary required)

Mannequin II (why make a sequel to a really bad movie?)

Smokey and the Bandit 3 (Burt isn't even in the movie)

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of authors who's books have had awful adaptations... Michael Crichton, although one of my favorite authors as a teenager, his movies all freaking stink, (with the excpection of Jurasic park and Lost World, I enjoyed those)

Sphere was such an awesome book and such a horrible movie, same can be said for Timeline. Congo wasn't a very good book and the movie was even worse. I wish people would stop butchering his material or that he would stop letting them. A big paycheck doesn't validate allowing someone to destroy you stories Mr. Crichton!

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Eraserhead has got to be the worst movie of all time. Not only does the film have no plot, it is actually irritating to watch. It's kind of like being on a long airplane flight where the person in the next seat has an infant that cries loudly during the entire flight. If it weren't pretentiously artsy and in black and white, no one would ever have watched the entire movie. The whole thing was kind of like a bad dream. If you claim to like this movie, I know you must be lying.

[ June 06, 2004, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail] The Rabbit.

I was even afraid to list that movie as I know at least one person who professes to have loved it. It gave me a headache. I didn't want my money back, I wanted two hours of my life back!!!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

Crouching Tiger is taking a beating! Especially on a thread about movies that NOBODY likes. I can see "Eraserhead" since I know few that like it...it seems a signature movie of a while ago that I can't find any support for nowadays. But Crouching Tiger was followed pretty strongly here in the States. I thought it was wonderful and a whole lot of fun. Hardly one that NOBODY likes. Maybe NOBODY on Hatrack? [Big Grin]

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

did anyone like Little Nicky? (title? the Sandler one. *shudders*)
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband liked Little Nicky. And hey, my parents-in-law were extras in that film! I hated it. Hehe. But SOMEONE likes it!

I liked Crouching Tiger, but only in the movie theater. When I tried to watch it at home (even on my gigantor television), it was just annoying.

Celebrity (by Woody Allen) was just dumb. And annoying. And also dumb. I'm not a fan of Woody Allen's movies anyway (some of the early stuff is funny, but most of them I Just Don't Get), so YMMV.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorority Boys?
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody seems to like the movie: Next Friday. I love that movie. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Crouching Tiger rocks!
I hated the movie version of Practical Magic. They ruined it! MADE ME SO MAD [Mad]

Tiger Eye
Member # 6353

- posted      Profile for Tiger Eye           Edit/Delete Post 
gigli, glitter, cross roads
Posts: 30 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiger Eye
Member # 6353

i HATE the sound of music.
Posts: 30 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Scorpion King because of the situation in which I watched it. It was me and a bunch of my geeky friends rolling up D&D characters for an adventure later than evening and we couldn't help but AP* the whole movie with bad references to D&D. "Oh, he just used his Catch Arrow feat." "Are you sure he didn't Deflect Arrow?" "Nope, see, it's in his hands." "Right. He must be a monk." [edit] That doesn't mean it's a good movie. [Wink] It was funny as hell at the time, though.

As for The Dead, do you mean a movie about an Irish Christmas party? My mom watches it every new years, and every time I watch it, I like it a little more. Next year, I think I might just enjoy it.

Matrix Revolutions? What tripe that was. Or, how about the Animatrix episodes The Second Renaissance Pt. 1 and 2. They just make me mad because they were obviously written by people who have no knowledge of political science, social movements, human behavior, tactics, the nature of war, or the tools with which war is waged.

*AP = Audience Participation

[ June 06, 2004, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: WheatPuppet ]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiger Eye
Member # 6353

my art teacher was talking about an 8 hour long film that some artist made of the empire state building...just...filming it...

yes, he stayed for the whole thing. just waiting, thinking that something would eventually happen. nothing did.

fallow
Member # 6268

"prospero's books" ?

with emphasis: ?!

BlueJacsFan
Member # 6590

- posted      Profile for BlueJacsFan   Email BlueJacsFan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty easy to please if I'm in the mood for mindless action. I'll even settle for a (recent) van Damme movie sometimes.

That said, I liked Van Helsing and Crouching Tiger.

I have to agree with the ST 5 comment, though. That's one of the few movies I ever almost walked out on.

I also hated The Apostle, though I have several friends who thought it was wonderful.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

quote:
"prospero's books" ?
C'mon, John Gielgud naked! I mean, what could be better!? Huh? Honest!?

[Eek!]

fil

fallow
Member # 6268

If only Michael Moore would strip to the waist or worse, we could all hate this flick that bearded fatso of professional hot-air-ishness is about to perfume (toxify) our summers with.

fallow

Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the last quarter of Scorpion King. I was either cringing at how bad it sucked, or laughing uncontrollably at how bad it sucked. The high point was definitely when he pulled the arrow out of his back.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
How could you forget Dungeons and Dragons?
My friends and I had so much fun just tearing that movie apart!

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
The Brady Bunch in the White House -- TV movie a couple years ago. Ouch. Bad. I loved The Brady Bunch Movie and A Very Brady Sequel; TBBitWH wasn't funny and it was just dumb.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

quote:
How could you forget Dungeons and Dragons?
Because it was so bad, years of denial kept it out of my head...until now, darn you! [Big Grin] I think we have a winner. This movie doesn't even get props from the "so bad it's good" crowd. The Brady movies, made for tv or for theatrical release, still have the camp factor and that keeps it viewable to some. But Dungeons and Dragons... *shudder*

fil

Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

If we are going to include made for tv movies, we have got to add the remake of "Brian's Song."

The original, with James Caan and Billy Dee Williams was the greatest made for tv movie and one of the greatest sports movies ever made.

The remake (why?) was a lame piece of feces that should be flushed or used for fertilizer.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.