FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Signature writing..

Author Topic: Signature writing..
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
What's your writing style?

I myself, tend to use alot of periods and dashes.. A single period for me just seems awkward- and dashes just seem to help find ways to make sentences longer then they should be.. - Rather then that though, I tend to spell things right.. No 'lol's or ' R U OK? ' type stuff.. - I capitalize my sentences and all.. I just have excessive punctuation disorder(EPD)... yep.. - And now that I have discovered how to make things bold on here.. You should be seeing lots of that too..

~Sir Montague

Ps~ Oh, and I like to title people as Sir and Lady

[ June 05, 2004, 01:48 AM: Message edited by: Pepek ]

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
You think a single period looks awkward? Your boldfaced type, double periods, and superfluous hyphens-as-dashes make baby Ender cry.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

*blinks* I never knew my writing could have such an effect.. Oh yah.. I blink, shrug and roll my eyes alot too with those star-like things.. heh.. *shrugs*

~Sir Montague

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nefarious
Member # 6591

- posted      Profile for Nefarious   Email Nefarious         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to use way to many commas, or semi-colons... it's a horrid affliction.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a slight tendency to compose my posts (comments, critiques and worshipful praises) indirectly of the intended target. *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
Pepek-

I, too, am constantly using an ellipses and *asterisk action*s... constantly... >_>

*shrugs*

-D

Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

*makes ovular motion in the air with finger*

well... ellipticity certainly seems to be a theme .

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

*chuckles*
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose if your writing does not suffice to distinguish you from the pack, erratic punctuation and noisy formatting might help achieve that end.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
He, he, he. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Piercing.

Eeee-yow. *wince

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
*reaches up and sticks on another asterisk with some ABC gum*
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
I suppose if your writing does not suffice to distinguish you from the pack, erratic punctuation and noisy formatting might help achieve that end.
Well said. I'm a big fan of letting words speak for themselves.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

Pshh.. get over yourself Mr. David's Son.. and a phone booth.. get over one of those too.. - jerk face.

*crys*

~Sir Montague

[ June 05, 2004, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Pepek ]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

For the love of everything I hold dear, please stop the bolding and the aberrant punctuation!
Pepek
Member # 3773

*emphasizes his bolderizationessness*

[ June 05, 2004, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Pepek ]

St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
Why?
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

*shrugs*
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
Pepek hurts my eyes.
Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

Oh come on.. is the bold really that bad?

~Sir Montague

Pixie
Member # 4043

I wish I knew what to say the that last post but... >_^ I can't read it.

Oh, wait... [Cool] There, that's better. [Big Grin]

Edit: I really am just teasing, hun, but... yes, the bold at least ought to go. It makes me want to skip your posts just to avoid looking at them. [Frown]

[ June 05, 2004, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Pixie ]

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
Bold is bad.
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

*grumbles* Only because we both have P names and the same amount of letters in them am I willing to do this.. blah..

~Sir Montague

Pixie
Member # 4043

Danke danke. [Smile]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, while I'm not a big fan of the bold, I like the way you stopped using bold. So you get points. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Only because we both have P names and the same amount of letters in them am I willing to do this
You cannot get more reasonable then that, in fairness.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Oh come on.. is the bold really that bad?
Yes.
fallow
Member # 6268

quote:
Yes
*shakes head with furious indignation*

"no!"

fallow

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Emboldening is far too useful to waste. As are CAPITALization and italicization.

As an emergency attention grabber:
...blah blah blah blah blah Go see a doctor, IMMEDIATELY blah blah blah blah blah...

As a safety attention grabber:
...blah blah blah blah Do NOT use a microwave to hardboil eggs* blah blah blah blah...

To highlight where an acronym or contraction used as jargon is coming from:
...blah blah blah CentralProcessingUnit...blah blah blah...CPU blah blah blah...
...blah blah blah medicalevacuation...blah blah blah...medevac blah blah blah...

Using 'much' as an example, I would write:
'much' to allow the readers to see the emphasis that they would hear if they were listening to me instead.
'MUCH' to show that the quantitative change is highly significant: as in comparing Jupiter to Pluto.
'MUCH' to show that the quantitative change is great enough to be a qualitative difference: as in comparing the physics at our scale against the physics at the quantum scale.

And one can remove ambiguity.
Because italicization shifts which clause that "too often" is modifying,
Use of capitalization, italics, or emboldening too often removes important communication tools from ones wordsmithing workbench.
has a different meaning than
Use of capital letters, italics, or emboldening too often removes important communication tools from ones wordsmithing workbench.
The second version being what I'm trying to communicate.

* Microwaving an egg in the shell can cause a pressure build up that will cause it to explode. Often enough, the explosion occurs after the cook removes the egg from the microwave oven: all to frequently causing facial burns, punctures, and eye injuries requiring emergency room treatment.

[ June 06, 2004, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I think you mean "bolding," not "emboldening."
SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

- posted      Profile for SoberTillNoon   Email SoberTillNoon         Edit/Delete Post 
I use metaphore quite often. Take a bit of a conversation I am having right now:
quote:
(06/06)[15:17:24] Gavin: na....like i said, id tell u the basics, and let u figure out the rest on ur own
(06/06)[15:17:59] SoberTillNoon: So, instead of blind folding me in a room with knives on the floor -- bare foot -- you just blind me in one eye?

Other than that, I try to keep my grammar pretty tight. I never claimed to be able to spell, though. I must say, the "sir" and "lady" thing is pretty unique.

[ June 06, 2004, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: SoberTillNoon ]

Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Metaphor has nothing to do with grammar.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of using itallics, caps, or bold, I tend to use *astericks* to *emphasize* words.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

- posted      Profile for SoberTillNoon   Email SoberTillNoon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was pointing out two different aspects of my writing....
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I would imagine that this thread has driven Jon Boy to tears of frustration and disillusionment.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Indeed it has. Is my life even worth living anymore? I don't know.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It should encourage him that he'll never want for a job. [Wink]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Well, that's somewhat encouraging.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Un petit d’un petit s’étonne aux Halles
Un petit d’un petit a degrés te fallent
Indolent qui ne sort cesse
Indolent qui ne se mène
Que dent peux te un petit
Tout Gai de Reguennes.

"The question is, which is to be master - that's all."

[ June 06, 2004, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
I use alot of... and I found myself doing the *Action* thingy, in my personal journal at home, I almost strangled myself. *ties a noose*
Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
*derail*

quote:
As a safety attention grabber:
...blah blah blah blah Do NOT use a microwave to hardboil eggs* blah blah blah blah...
* Microwaving an egg in the shell can cause a pressure build up that will cause it to explode. Often enough, the explosion occurs after the cook removes the egg from the microwave oven: all to frequently causing facial burns, punctures, and eye injuries requiring emergency room treatment.

It can also blow your microwave door open if the eggs explode while still inside, thus ruining the microwave.
Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.