FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Deodorizers

Author Topic: Deodorizers
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought one of those One-drop deodorizers (Willert brand) a couple days ago. I think it works pretty well. But I have NO clue what chemicals are in it. It's green liquid, and only lists ethyl alcohol as one of the ingredients. It has a slight smell to it, sort of a plastic candy kinda smell (does that make sense at all?).

How safe is something like this to use? The only thing I have been able to come up with from google is the possibility of it being a formaldehyde mix, which doesn't sound that safe.

Should I feel okay using it to deodorize my kitchen cabinets? My hedgehog litter box (safe from hedgehog tongues, of course)? Bathroom?

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

maybe deodorizers work by killing all your smell neurons so you don't think anything smells anymore... [Eek!]
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
what kind of deodorizers are these? I've never heard of them?
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

dunno, apparently they're sold in places like CVS/Rite-Aid/Walgreen's type stores and pet stores. you can see a few online if you search for one-drop deodorizers
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a picture here (bottom left). I can't find much info, even after looking at various chemistry-related sites.

You could always ask them directly.
quote:
Willert Home Products, Inc.
4044 Park Ave.
St. Louis, Missouri 63110
Phone: 314-772-2822
Fax: 314-772-3506
whp@willert.com

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

anyone used these before?

thanks rivka. no phone yet, but when I get a phone (new apartment), i'll give 'em a call

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I've never heard of them. Do they have stuff on the warning label?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd never even heard of them before your thread. [Dont Know] Are they anything like Febreze and its ilk?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

Not sure if they're like Febreeze... You don't aerosol them, just leave out a drop to vaporize slowly. No warning label, which would have been helpful. Some poking online suggested that the lack of warning label doesn't mean it's non-toxic. Just means it's not regulated [Smile]
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
Most deodorizors used to contain paradychlorobenzine. People disagreed whether or not this was supposed to be carcinogenic and I do not know if it is still used.

(There are obviously spelling errors in a few of the words. Forgive me or deal)

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
There are three kinds of deodorizers.

1: Cover-it-up smells. Also known as perfumes. Most bathroom and automobile deodorizers are this type. They don't get rid of a smell, but cause the existing smell to blend with a stronger smell, so that it (hopefully) won't be noticed. Putting this in your kitchen cabinets may cause change in the flavor of food.

2: Germ/fungus killers. paradichlorobenzene (fascinating stuff) is one of these, generally used in toilets, and also as mothballs. Some foot powders and mouthwash also fall lunder this category. These operate under the assmption that the smell is being generated by something living, so they are basically poison. You don't want them in your kitchen cabinets. They are effective when applied correctly.

3: Odor absorbers. Baking soda is the most notorious of these. A series of tests done by the company I used to work for showed that baking soda has very little effect, but the cardboard box that it comes in is pretty effective at absorbing odor. The company was testing a molecular sieve powder called "dry rite." It was more effective than baking soda, but cardboard blew both of them off the map.

Lastly: Old wives tales - burning a candle in the bathroom has absolutely no effect, unless it's a scented candle, in which case it's actually #1.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

*goes to put a large piece of cardboard in the fridge*
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
maybe deodorizers work by killing all your smell neurons so you don't think anything smells anymore...
I actually had an air system salesman tell me that lysol does this. I laughed.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

Glenn, thanks =). It's definitely not a perfume masking version.

To play it safe, I'll just use it for the litter box area and garbage cans. Fortunately, hedgehogs are wonderful about being incredibly toxin resistant.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.