FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack inappropriate? I think not...

Author Topic: Hatrack inappropriate? I think not...
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
I may be forced to stop posting due to the fact that I am surrounded by idiots.
I do not have the internet at home, because well... um... I live with wierd mennonite parents. Cheap ones.
I've been posting form school on my free periods. But now my school has passed this new rule in which a teacher must be supervising you in order to use the internet. I tried explaining my buisness, and being rational and explaining that I was learning. But Hatrack has been deamed inappropriate. Hey,I'm not learning anything in my classes why ruin it, by allowing me to learn things on my own time. I am angry and ranting needless to say. I apoligize for the rant.

Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I kind of see their point. If the internet is supposed to be used during school time to further your education, the forums (at least) are not really what they want you working on.

Too bad, but probably the correct decision.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

I see that part of it, but these are my free periods we are talking about... FREE! It's not like I am using my actual class periods to do this.. and I think I've learned more here in a couple of months than I have in school my intire life. I can understand where they are coming from, but I think it should be more of a system where, the people using the internet inappropriatley should be punished,not innocent bystanders, such as myself.
Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
So, you posted this at 10:17 p.m. eastern time.

Which school did you say you were posting from that late at night?

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

I am at the town library right now but, its only open 3 days a week and only one day of which I cana ctually get here.
And this is turning into a thread in which I complain, so i shall quite doing that now, because I do not like sounding whinny.

Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
I could see a policy in which students aren't allowed to use computers for non-school work when there are students waiting to use the comps for school work, but geez. If the resources are available, then not letting students use those resources during free periods is a shame and a waste.

I don't know how limited they think they can make their students' experiences of websurfing, but they should really try a little harder to listen to students.

Maybe you could convince them to let you read hatrack if you write up a 1-2 page essay describing something educational you learned from a recent thread. That's what I'd offer, at any rate.

Can you do internet at home if you pay for it? Do you have a computer? It would be kind of fun to start a computer/internet-fund for hatrackers.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

I have a very sad, computer which crashes every five minutes, and my parents would never go for that.
but tis a good idea.

Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
gwan. If you don't stay, my heart will break. Your teacher says this ain't appropriate? Well, take a k---, oh... sorry [Wink] .
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polio
Member # 6479

- posted      Profile for Polio   Email Polio         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't they get some software that stops you from downloading? (Sorry, I'll backtrack. I talked to gwan and she said the problem was that they were getting too many viruses and I didn't think of that before.) I'll be leaving in a couple of weeks, too. We're getting rid of the internet. They're tearing Hatrack from our midst. It's all a big conspiracy!
Posts: 165 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry, you'll eventually find a way to connect again.

When I think about it, I've logged on to Hatrack, just to read, lurk, etc. from some very strange places.

[Wink]

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
It's really a shame that the school doesn't consider Hatrack to be educational enough. Obviously they haven't read stuff here much -- becuase I have learned at LOT about current events, history and culture from Hatrack.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
if our over controlling librarian or computer guy question me I say "it's an author's website" and usually get by with it.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Just flip to a thread on the other side where they are talking about symbolism and characters and theories in the books vs. in real life. Then you can say you're doing research for a book report. At my school you aren't allowed to play games or use chatrooms, and there's some other software that blocks most other sites (including half the stuff we need for research for classes). You have to have your parents sign something if you're to be allowed to use the internet without direct supervision, but I've never had one signed and I've never had a problem.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
I work at a middle school in the computer lab as I am waiting for my teacher's license to finalize. I just need to student teach and all the positions are full till the end of next school year. I took this job (which I am out of for the summer and am now running two Anger Management classes a day--my original major) just to get my foot in the door at the school district.

Since I didn't have much to do last year, I spent a LOT of time on Hatrack. I posted real questions about computers on Hatrack and got a LOAD of good advice and help. I sought out the principal and made it a point to show him the *WONDERFUL RESOURCE* I found to help me help the school.

No one has ever complained of my time spent on Hatrack; in fact, they hired me back with a raise!

Maybe you could post a real educational question here while you are at the library. When you have received intelligent help, which this forum is consistent with providing, show your teacher what a great resource this is. He/she may lay off of you.

Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
I originally started coming to Hatrack to hide the fact that I was in an RPG chat at the same time. *snicker* I'd pull up a second window and have it going any time the lab monitor walked by. Hatrack was one of the sites I began reading commonly; Beliefnet (from which I found this site via OSC's articles there) was another.

My longest absence was when the RPG chat died...it took some time for my internet habits to realign.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.