FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sunburn Relief

Author Topic: Sunburn Relief
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
So here's the deal--I work as a swim teacher during the summer.

However, I also have extremely sensitive skin.

Thusly, my current problem. I even burned my FEET today. I'm in some serious pain, and aloe vera, moisturizer, and oatmeal baths aren't helping.

Does anyone here on Hatrack know any sure-fire ways to take the sting out of a sunburn?

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
Take a cool bath with vinegar in the water. It may stink, but it will remove some of the sting.
Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Noxema.

And send some sunshine my way, would you?

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Preperation H. Steroid cream. Aspirin. Noxema. Vinegar.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*wonders if Kayla is suggesting all be applied topically -- or all be ingested* [Angst]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

"One of these things is not like the others" is now running through my mind. Thanks rivka.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

I'm also wondering if you've ever eaten preperation h.
rivka
Member # 4859

Never eaten steroid cream, either. [Wink] OTOH, if I didn't already know that the vinegar was to be applied topically, your list might leave that in question. And if I figured THAT out, I'd be back to wondering about the aspirin.

Actually, applying aspirin topically could work too.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hawian Tropic has stuff called I.C.E. that cools down a burn, and helps you get better faster...I have also found it can keep borderline burns from pealing (though of you are really burned it won't stop it).
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Any of the aftersun aloe gel with lidocaine works WONDERFULLY. Banana Boat makes some of that.

For sunscreen, I highly recommend BullFrog. When I worked 8hrs/day in the sun, BullFrog kept me from getting burned and I have sensitive skin as well.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Lidocaine (and the other -caines) should be used sparingly. Regular use can lead to resistance to their anesthetic affects.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Tea. As in bathing in tea. Boil up ~2quarts/liters of very very strong tea (you're interested in the tannins, not drinking it, so you can boil the tea leaves/bags to make the tea stronger), then dump it in the tub, and add cold water until the bath is tepid. Then continue to add tepid water until the level barely covers your body. Cover or continuously drench your face with a soft cloth dipped in the bath.

Or a vinegar bath. About two cups in the tub with tepid water barely sufficient to cover the body. Cover or continuously drench your face with a soft cloth dipped in the bath.

The vinegar works slightly better than the tea bath at preventing/lessening blistering and preventing/slowing the skin from peeling off: ie in strips, before the next skin layer is ready to take over the job. But does have a lingering odor; not a bad or strong odor but nonetheless noticible.

Rinse off gently with a short cool&light shower, then cover the sunburn area with a VitaminE cream (I think Desitin also works)
Take VitaminC orally.
And above all else: USE sunblock the next time. Water proof: there are plenty of products like BullFrog and various zinc oxides for surfers and lifeguards.
Don't worry, you'll just look cool&professional in "war paint".

Tans may look nice when you are young, but sunburns can cause skin cancer, especially deep blistering sunburns.
Excluding that, easily sunburnable skin becomes very very leathery-looking as one ages because of long-term damage to the sub-surface skin layers.

[ June 11, 2004, 01:01 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, rivka is right. Which is why I've had this same bottle for about four years now. [Wink]

BULLFROG.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Lupus, that ICE stuff is wonderful!! I love it and it's so soothing on a sunburn. I second that recommendation.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*giggle* I think mine's about three years old. Generic solarcaine-type spray.

I used to have the gel, but I like this better. [Dont Know]

And I third the sunscreen recommendation!

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife has a trick that makes aloe vera gel about ten times more effective. We keep ours in the refrigerator. It feels so amazingly good to put cold aloe vera on a fresh sunburn!
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I taught swimming lessons for four years. I feel your pain. I'd have to change my sheets every other day because of all the dead skin flaking off while lying in bed every night.

And if you've got truly fair skin it doesn't matter what brand or how much sunscreen you use, I know, I've tried them all. A good straw hat serves better than all the sunscreen in the world.

Your secret weapon:vinegar. Buy a gallon jug. It restores the pH of the burned skin somehow and works wonders.

It will stink and sting like HELL when you have someone apply it to your back, I reccommend either standing in the tub and having someone else either pour it on or having someone else apply it with a soft dripping washcloth. But after a few minutes the pain subsides (and you were already in a lot of pain if you try this cause I admit it is an extreme remedy) and you feel Soooooo much better. The first time you will do it you will think the pain is so bad you will never, ever try this stupid idea again. But you will after witnessing the results.

Let it stay on for at least an hour. I used to have my mom apply it before I went to bed at night and would just sleep with it. If you want wait the hour and then follow it up with aloe vera. Yeah I'd stink but the chlorine would wash the smell off anyway. If I slept overnight with the stuff, then I'd put aloevera on in the morning before morning workout swim practice.

It worked for me. It would only be around the end of July beginning of August that I'd finally tan enough that I'd stop burning. And then the summer was basically over, dagnnabbit.

AJ
(I missed jalapenoman's and aspecter's posts since I just started typing as soon as I read the question. I apologize, they already suggested the vinegar route though I would use it full strength and not mess with a dilute bath.)

[ June 11, 2004, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Warning against Noxima.

My friend told me not to ever use Noxima on sunburns because it doesn't let the skin 'breathe' so it just cooks some more.

Is there any validity in that? I mean, I put some on and if felt fine.

[Cool]

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Try vitamin E oil. Get the little capsules, and break them open, and rub it in like a lotion. It is very moisturizing, and you can definately see a difference overnight.
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

So, what did you use, and did it work?
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Ibuprofen is a great idea. Oh, and they now make sunblock up to spf 70, which is wonderful for my super-pale skin. Try it; the last time I used it, I went to Ozzfest and wandered around in the blistering sun all day, and everyone else (who already had tans) burned to a crisp, while I was fine.
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Some people who are sun sensitive will get a horrible rash from higher spfs. Anything above 30 will give me a rash. Sometimes even 30 will give me a rash.
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really pale, so I usually use 45 or higher. Until I started breaking out every time I used it, now I can't use anything higher than 30.

Try the vitamin E, probably the best thing you can do for sunburn is moisturize. You can also try freezing a paper towel to put on your burn if you want some cooling relief.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I read a study recently proving that your sunburn would be less severe if you took aspirin or ibuprofen (I forget which, but I think either would work being anti-inflammatories) immediately after going inside. Your skin continues to cook after you come in from the sun, killing the cells around the already dead/burned cells up to several hours afterwards.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for BookWyrm   Email BookWyrm         Edit/Delete Post 
Peel some taters. Chop em up real fine. Put em in some moist paper towels and use that as a compress. The raw taters helps draw the burn out.
Posts: 986 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

I grew up hearing that after being out in the sun (sunbathing) you should take a cool shower. Basically for the same reasons Christy mentioned. It cools the skin, which continues to cook after you've gone inside. However, don't take the ibuprofen before going out in the sun. At certain doses, it can actually increase your sensitivity to the sun.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.