FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Where will I be called? PLACE BETS NOW! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Where will I be called? PLACE BETS NOW!
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Edited to add: Where will I be called to serve on a LDS Mission?

First of all, I wasn't going to post this until after I got all the paper work done, and the phsycials over with. I'm a bit pessimistic about doctors, and check ups and stuff and didn't want to until after it was confirmed that I could. BUT, Pat beat me to it on another forum. So, here we go, getting a jump start.

First things first, a few things that I control:

1) On the papers, they have you put down what country your family came from. My bishop said he was a bit unsure, but they could look at that in helping to determine where to go. My 2 main lines based upong family names of dad and mom, comes from the Ukraine and Sweeden.

2) Another factor is they asked how much you want to learn a foreign language. Essentially, I said I'd be moderately interested. Also keep in mind, there are plenty of areas in the US where you have to learn a foreign language, too.

3) They asked how good of a missionary I'd be, kind of like a self introspection. I put between moderate and the go-get 'em type.

So, everyone, where do you think I'm going to go? For a list of all available missions, check out this list.

[ June 13, 2004, 02:48 AM: Message edited by: T_Smith ]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRR
Member # 6601

- posted      Profile for RRR   Email RRR         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooo! Knoxville, TN! ::hopes::
Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to follow RRR's lead, and vote for L.A.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Come to Louisville. We'll teach you how to speak with an accent, harvest tabbacky, and trap possum. [Wink]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
<inspects crystal ball>

You are going to...

Manchester, NH
or
Boston, MA

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to go someplace like Australia or Hawaii and ended up in Indiana. I meaqn no offense to those from or in Indiana. I grew to love the people.

I vote for Arizona. Come and enjoy the mild winters. We won't talk about the summers. [Wink]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michaele8
Member # 6608

- posted      Profile for michaele8   Email michaele8         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweden is great! Never been to Ukraine, but if it's like Russia you would love that too. My son will be applying next year and he hopes for either Sweden or Russia (he's lived in Sweden for several years and he's visited Russia).
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm betting on Finland.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but if it's like Russia you would love that too.
Well, if Ukraine was like Russia, you wouldn't want to go, cause Russia is trying to get rid of the representatives of any religions the State does not approve of.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't already know a foreign language????

Ohio Cleveland. [Eek!]

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little confused on the physical. Don't ya'll just go door to door and talk about God?

I hope you end up somewhere fun. I got to see the Kiev Symphony Orchestra once. Good stuff. I loved the traditional folk songs they mixed in with the classics. And it's Ukraine, not the Ukraine. Just like we're America, not the America.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Montreal.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
East Lansing!

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I should hope for Indianapolis or hope for not Indianapolis.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
As for the physical -- an LDS mission can be a very physically demanding endeavor. Also, you do everything with a companion. So if you aren't physically up to the task, you are wasting the time of your companion as well. Also, if you have physical/medical problems, they don't want to send you to a part of the world where you won't be able to get the medical care you need.

To serve a mission, you have to have a certain leven of physical phitness. If you don't, then you are excused from missionary service.

edit: Oh, I vote for Brasil. It seems that everybody gets sent there these days.

[ June 13, 2004, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Buffalo, NY

No good reason; I'm fond of their wings...

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
:-( i never got a mormon missionary at MY door...
*feels unwanted*

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Sacramento, CA
[Wink]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up in El Paso, Texas and was called to San Antonio, Texas.

You never know.

I'd put my money on the last place in the world you would expect. South America? Salt Lake City? Tokyo? Ghana?

Who knows but the Lord, and he ain't telling you yet!

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
:-( i never got a mormon missionary at MY door...
*feels unwanted*

Really?
I have only once, and my Dad scared them off. [Frown] I ended up taking discussions through a close friend of mine.

The ones I have a problem with are the Jehova's Witnesses Evangelists.

Weekly visit from them.

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
We got Mormon missionaries once. My youngest sister and brother tried to convert them to Catholicism.

I think everyone parted with a greater understanding of their own faith but zero inclination to change.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jalapenoman, when did you serve in San Antonio? I know someone who got back from that mission just a couple weeks ago. [Smile] Ever know an Elder Lewis?

On Jon Boy's forum I guessed Campinas, Brazil, but I think I might have a different guess on this forum to give myself more chances. [Smile]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
I served down there in the early 80's in the following towns: Corpus Christi 1st and 4th wards, Robstown branch (twice)(a suburb of Corpus), McAllen 1st ward, Harlingen ward, and Beeville branch (halfway between Corpus and San Antonio).

If your Elder Lewis just got home, he was there 20 years after me.

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polio
Member # 6479

- posted      Profile for Polio   Email Polio         Edit/Delete Post 
Saskatchewan doesn't need to be missionized? [Grumble]
Posts: 165 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
So Armoth...what's your address? I'm sure there are missionaries close by that wouldn't want you to feel left out of their door to door visits. [Wink]

-o-

Nathan, I think that you'll go someplace far away, yet English speaking.

New Zealand
South Africa

Those are my two bets.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

hey hansenj, I went to Campinas Brazil!!!!

[Cry] I MISS Campinas Brazil!! It's been two years. *sniffle*

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
south korea
ecquador
raleigh, north carolina.

maybe one of those three will be the winning ticket.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
i studied french in school, my geneology points to the UK and Scandinavia, and i got called to Italy. i think i've been home now 6? years and can only guess that the people i worked with were friends in the pre-existence.

it's no use trying to guess where you are going to go. sometimes you get a good surprise, but often enough it's the last place you suspected (or wanted) to be sent. just know that wherever you are called, you'll find people that you would swear you've known all your life and love them as dearly.

Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Yeah, but whoever wins this bet, gets a free trip from Hot Nathan when he gets back from his mission.

Right??? [Wink]

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Paris, France [Big Grin]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
well, in that case... how about peru? they have good people there, and some of my favorite meals have been prepared by peruvians... I'll pick the peru lima north (because north is good)
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
my brother totally lucked out. (at first anyway.)
he used to go on and on about brazil and was called to fortaleza. but his mission only lasted nine months because his knees sort of exploded.

if i get rich first i think i'll take him on a trip back there.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

mmmm, you would love it porce. It's got some of the best beaches in the WORLD and of course the best people, the best food....it's all just great. [Smile]
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are up to the challenge, we have Mars and Venus, PA. But both erm....towns are extremely rural and I doubt they are on your list of sites. But still, to tell friends and family that you have a mission to Mars would be classic indeed...

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
South Africa
Micronesia
or
Iowa! [Wink]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Canada.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I already guessed Canada at GC. You can't guess that.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing Canada. It's like 'guessing' the answer to 3*4, I hope no one would object if more than one person guessed 12. [Razz]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
England, Las Vegas, Thailand, Tonga, or Japan.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia, as long as I get the first one. *shakes fist*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The ones I have a problem with are the Jehova's Witnesses Evangelists.
Oh, shush, Nick. You're just jealous 'cause we're so thorough. Besides, you do realize that, with you, they're preaching to Californians! Really, who do you think has the harder job? [Razz]

Anyway, T, I already said in chat, but I'm saying Zimbabwe.

[ June 13, 2004, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
The Philippines!

Yeah, baby, yeah!!!

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Northampton, Massachusetts.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
California Fresno, and you'll have to learn Spanish or Hmong. [Razz]

Seriously, the Fresno school district has students who speak 120 different languages, but Spanish and Hmong are the most predominant ones.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the same as Osceola County FL. Except there, the ESL classes are taught in English/Spanish, no matter what language the kid actually speaks.

Brilliant, neh?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Don't worry mack. We won't let him visit anywhere until he's visited you. [Smile]
T_Smith
Member # 3734

How about this. When I get back, the winner can visit ME, and I'll buy them dinner at Wendy's.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
yer a DJ right?
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

The best part is that I don't think he's kidding. He SHOULD be the unofficial spokesperson for Wendy's. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Oh the stories I can tell with Wendy's. Just ask Mr. Gumby.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.