FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Where will I be called? PLACE BETS NOW! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Where will I be called? PLACE BETS NOW!
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
So, out of curiosity, what’s the deal if you do get sent somewhere where you know people? Are you allowed to visit them?

If, hypothetically, you ended up in Iowa and Bob & I wanted to invite you and your companion to diner, could you accept? Would we have to listen to your spiel so you could count us as inquirers?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
No clue, Dana. Perhaps someone else would be able to answer that for you. [Dont Know]
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Professor Funk
Member # 5608

- posted      Profile for Professor Funk   Email Professor Funk         Edit/Delete Post 
Geneva Switzerland.

Believe me - I know.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Usually you can go for dinner or a visit if there are extended family or friends nearby. Missionaries probably should check with their mission president or zone leader if they have to leave the area or if they have any reason to think it would be funky, but usually they let you go. My brother was able to visit my uncle and on my mission we ran over an visited my companion's cousin on one of our P-Days.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing Guatemala. Probably either the Central or South mission. Although Quetzaltenango is the best.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Indiana. No question.

Explanation: I've been guessing Indiana on these "Guess the Mission" games for years now. Dagnabbit, someday I'll be right. And this is that day!

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as I'm acceptable visitation, Indiana sounds great. [Wink]

And why do you keep guessing here? [Angst]

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
For the record, I'm crossing my fingers on New Zealand.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Well celia, you're next on the list, of course. *twinkles*

T: So did I. [Smile]

[ June 14, 2004, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
*thwaps*

[No No]

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm placing my money that they will send you to some country of the former U.S.S.R. Or maybe Europe.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GradStudent
Member # 5088

- posted      Profile for GradStudent   Email GradStudent         Edit/Delete Post 
Do all LDS missionaries go door-to-door and converse with people? Or do some have different duties?

I'm asking because a Catholic friend from college went on a mission, but she helped homeless kids in Honduras that were presumably already Catholic.

Posts: 134 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

The young ones go on proselyting missions (conversing with people). Some of the older (retired-type) missionaries do service missions.
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
There are welfare missionaries, to name one. I remember wishing that I were a welfare missionary quite often when I was in the Philippines. Many of the people weren't ready for a spiritual message because their lives were so desperate from day to day. I felt so helpless to do anything for them. But we did what we could.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Dana, my older brother was serving in El Paso, TX when we moved from Washington State to the Ft Worth/Dallas area. It just so happened that our traveling path took us right through his mission. We didn't want to "break the rules" and try to see him, but my mother did prepare a care package to leave on his doorstep. Turns out, my brother was flat-out sick that day and was lying on a cot next to the front window. He just happened to look up and see his Mom placing a package on the doorstep! Imagine his surprise!

Well, all the rest of us in the car watching couldn't restrain our excitement. Rules or no rules, we all rushed out of the car and tackled him! [Smile] Sure was fun to see him then.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.