FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » *Scream*

Author Topic: *Scream*
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhh!!!!! It is ten after one in the morning, and my daughter will not stay in bed!!!! We're leaving for a mini-vacation tomorrow, so she's probably too excited to sleep. I would just go ahead and go to bed myself, but being the nice mom that I am, I'm trying to secretly put together surprise car-bags for the kiddos - book, new coloring book, treats, etc. *shakes fist* I hope Operaetta appreciates her bag in the morning when I've got circles under my eyes!

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
How old is your daughter?
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
6!!! It's just a wee bit past her normal bedtime [Wink]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Bet you are dreading when she becomes a teenager then...
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have melatonin around, try that.

Otherwise, my kids' pediatrician has recommended Benadryl for situations like this.

Or there's always the baseball bat method. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

I've never heard of using melatonin, rivka. How does it work? She hasn't appeared for 10 minutes, so I'm praying that she's starting to go to sleep. Of course, I've thought that at least 50 times since 9:00, but I'm an optimist, darn it!

space opera

Wetchik
Member # 3609

- posted      Profile for Wetchik   Email Wetchik         Edit/Delete Post 
Melatonin works for me. [Smile]

Benadryl is the good stuff though. For some reason, that just zonks me. [Smile]

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
My instinctive thought. >_>
Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I have personally found melatonin useful for helping with jet lag. But a RL friend uses it on her hyper-and-up-till-all-hours son (on the recommendation of a doctor, I think), and she says it helps quite a bit.

Melatonin

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Melatonin actually doesn't work as well unless you give it a couple hours BEFORE the intended bedtime.

Benadryl, however, works great. [Big Grin]

...and baseball bats.

Though, I much prefer the duct tape and cattleprod method, myself.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

- posted      Profile for Wetchik   Email Wetchik         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with what Jamie said on the Benadryl. [Smile]

[ June 18, 2004, 01:33 AM: Message edited by: Wetchik ]

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Though, I much prefer the duct tape and cattleprod method, myself.
Silly mack. That's how you wake them up, not put them to sleep!
Space Opera
Member # 6504

I think, *clasps hands together* we might have achieved sleep. Perhaps she received a telepathic message about the cattle prods. It's okay, though...I shall have my revenge tomorrow morning when I go to wake her up and she says, "One more minute" and I don't grant the request. [Evil Laugh] I really do love being her mom, though. She reminds me *so* much of Ramona Quimby.

space opera

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Pffft. Clearly, you're using improper methods.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*raises eyebrow*

Really? They seem to work quite well.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought melatonin was skin pigment.......
*hunts for dictionary*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
You're thinking of melanin.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes... [Wink] that's the one... [Blushing]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*takes bottle of self-tanning lotion*

*adds one toe*

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't use melatonin because the same as any sleeping aid, the body can develop a tolerance to it fairly quickly. Like 3 days. I think it also supresses ovulation in some animals. Probably why they don't conceive in the winter or something.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, I've only ever used OTC melatonin to deal with jet-lag -- and that took about 4-5 days, maybe less. So I don't have personal experience with using it as an occasional sleep aid. (Using it every night, even if it worked, strikes me as a bad idea.)

But, pooka, this is a hormone that you produce every day anyway. The idea here is to get your daily sleep cycle back in sync. I suppose high levels might reduce ovulation. [Dont Know]

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Would that stop the PMS . . . ? (hopeful)
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm more a naturalist.

I believe that one should gently rock your children to sleep.

It may take a little longer, but that really depends on the size of the rock used.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*whisper to Dan* Baseball bats leave smaller marks.
mackillian
Member # 586

cattle prod marks are even smaller.
rivka
Member # 4859

True, but it's easier to explain bumps and bruises than burns.
mackillian
Member # 586

easy mac.
rivka
Member # 4859

[ROFL]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.