FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Are we cool enough for a swap thread? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Are we cool enough for a swap thread?
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
I really love the gmail swap site. I say we start offering fun stuff to mail each other, or do for each other.

I think there's even a sourceforge program that lets people post "business cards" with stuff for trade, and craigslist also supports freebies/swaps. Geocaching is in the same breed as well.

For Trade (or free if you ask nicely):
-a pinch of tiny hematite similar to this.

-Russian candy/chocolates from the local Russian grocery store (even better than those boxes of chocolates w/o labels!)

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mintieman
Member # 4620

- posted      Profile for Mintieman   Email Mintieman         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a gmail invite to trade if that helps [Smile]
Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
*grin* I just agreed to send some hematite to a guy for setting me up with gmail. I actually don't have any need for gmail, I just think it's kinda cool. And I really like swap as a concept.

Anyone want to offer a trade with Mintieman for the gmail invite?

(Sorry for all the back-and-forthing with Suneun and dabbler. One computer in one room, one in the other.)

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
*looks around room*

I've got some stuff lying around...

a Athlon 750 mobo/processor combo with 310M SDRAM (no onboard sound or video), a 300W power supply that makes a weird noise every couple weeks but works fine, a 17 inch Gateway EV700 monitor, a left-handed sunburst Johnson (imitation) Stratocaster w/stage 25 amp (I'm too lazy to learn how to play, but a nice piece).

Probably some other stuff.

Anybody got anything cool? I'm looking for an old laptop, actually, to take on trips for music, video, and internet access.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

Hmmm I also have...

Two access points from linksys (900-AP) that can wirelessly bridge to each other. Includes manual, CD, and cable to connect to a PC through USB. I used them to bridge for a couple years, but I don't think I'll need them anymore.

A cheap switchblade, which is legal to own in Rhode Island (though not legal to possess in public).

Way too many baking pans, I could probably send a couple to someone who needed a few.

Unfortunately I don't have an old laptop. I may have an old laptop in a few months if I get a new laptop, but we'll see.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Suneum,

Is this "swapping" merely of a technical nature?

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

not at all, we just happen to collect techie things =)

I think cool abilities should come into play as well. Artists, web designers, circus skills...

fallow
Member # 6268

cool moves? paths untrodden?
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

bump.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll do some webdesign for somebody in exchange for something cool. Examples of quality: http://rujuke.com , http://consulting.fugu13.com
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got two twenty-four port 3com Superstack II Hub 10s that i desperatly want to get rid of, they're completely managed, anyone that wants toys can have them.

Looking for harddrives of any size.
Satyagraha

[ June 21, 2004, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: BYuCnslr ]

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

*bump*
because I really want to get rid of these, I'll give them for the price of shipping...seriously...they're taking up space for me...I have to move dorms in two months....pleeeeaaassseeeeee.....
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

What would be the price of shipping?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I want a cool hat...
A nice cool fedora
Brown, black, grey or dark blue.
Felt or velvet

I want clock parts, pretty marbles, a pocket watch maybe, an antique one?
wooden building blocks?
large camo pants

i could give away-
Tons of books
custom mix cds
yarn
an old playstation complete with memory cards (though, i am not sure if I want to get rid of that...)
empty bottles
and other assorted goods

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

Fugu: if you care to wait, i could hand them to you at kamacon.
Satyagraha

fugu13
Member # 2859

Works for me [Smile] .
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
How come no one's offered up their firstborn in trade yet?
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

I could send someone a classic mac, though I'm not sure I have an extra keyboard and mouse. Jus' for shipping, though they're fairly heavy machines.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Shan, because the shipping is ridiculous.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you kidding? Mine and Nathan's firstborn would bring in quite a lot of cash!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

*rumbles through the meet in dilapidated van pouring blue smoke, does a near-donut, and screeches to a halt*

"screech"

*jumps out, unlocks the rear
doors*

"clang"

*pulls out an old card-table and commences to laying-out of wares*

a can, a knife, some shoe leather, and a small tool-box full of assorted implements.

Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
What about books?

If both swappers paid postage?

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
ooohhhh! book exchange! yeah!!!!

(is laughing at rivka and mack)

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Books might work for me too. I have a ton of dups I wouldn't mind trading, as long as i still have another copy.

Anyone here read fantasy? [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll offer up my firstborn. Availability will be limited and liable to change without notice. You'll also have to convince the mother of said firstborn to part with the child.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Need: A decent violin that still works okay, mainly for learning on, or info on how to obtain one for dirt cheap.

Have to trade: Well, there's a bunch of cops outside my house right now, and they have cars and gloves and guns and all that cool stuff! You can have them.

(I'm serious about the violin, though.)

Actual have: Episodes 1-26 of "Jungle wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu" in avi format, and episodes 1-4 of "Deluxe". And I have some Peruvian Souls. [Evil]

err: Sols.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a lot of Kodak film (200 speed and 400 speed) that um...fell off a truck. [Roll Eyes]
It's past the expiration date, but should still be good.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, the cops are gone. I want to know who took them so I can expect my violin.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

have you been having gmailswap fun, PSI? [Smile]
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

No it sucks!

I got two "offers" but no actual invite. GRRRRRR. I got a fake one and a used one.

dabbler
Member # 6443

that's annoying. mine worked, but that was when gmailswap was a lot more proliferative (a week ago) from /. effect. I wish I had some invites to give out, but I still haven't gotten any from google.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Oh ok, I got a real one. It's about time too. The guy that gave me a used one messed up, but he gave me another one that I could use.
fallow
Member # 6268

*applies suntan lotion*

*leans over wares*

*scratches 3 zeros off the price-tage of the shoe leather*

BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

What sort of violin do you need? I'm sorry but I really love mine, so I don't think I'm willing to part with it, but at least I can help you find one.
Satyagraha

dabbler
Member # 6443

hey fallow, what kind of knife and tools?
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Violin...I have no idea. I haven't learned anything about them yet and I'd love some info. Probably a full sized one, but I don't know. What's the best for fiddling? (I'm joining Jes in his bluegrass craze...he's playing the banjo.)
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

For fiddling...hmm...you'd probably want a violing with a lot brighter sound, in adverse to the usual dark warm sound that most violins are known for. For some reason I doubt you'll be able to find one here, if you or someone you know has a good eye for violins, I'd hit up antique stores, sometimes you get a lucky find, two places online are Woodwind and Brasswind and Shar Violin Shop both are very good stores, with very decent prices, note that violins range from anywhere between $300 and $30,000,000...you obviously don't want a really expensive violin...for fact of price, and they don't have the sound you want. If you have any questions IM me: BernardLUE42 or drop me an email.
Satyagraha

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interesting in trading something for web design and hosting for my Young Writer's Guild website.

I have lots of stuff in my house, but I haven't catalogued it yet. Right now I have a sack full of SF&F magazines and Asimov's. I can send you an herbal tea blend from my garden. I can send you old white socks. We've got plenty of those. I can send washcloths (turquoise and rose).

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Hey jenny, lets talk. I can provide those two things, what sorts of things do you have that may be of interest [Smile] ? (in addition to the stuff mentioned so far, of course).

[ June 26, 2004, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, what do you want? What sorts of things do you think are "really cool"? Are there any services I can provide for you?

I'm going to be moving, so I actually am willing to liquidate some of my household goods, especially if I get a good trade..Anything in particular you might need?

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Syn, does the fadora have to be new?

*wonders if Porter would be willing to give up his fadora*

It is a very nice one, I bought it as a gift for him when we were dating. I think it is a bit small for his head though. He has never really worn it much.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

I'm looking for a dual processor Pentium II motherboard, anyone have one lying around?
Satyagraha

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
No, it could be an old one. Old ones are special [Big Grin]

And Jenny, I could probably give you something for white socks.
I always need socks because all the ones I have don't really match... And what kind of herbal tea do you have?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
I am willing to trade my wife's 20 year old piece of junk car for a new Ford F-150 pick up. I'll even pay for the gas to get it here.

I am also willing to trade my all of my wife's flannel nightgowns and pajamas for just about anything from the Victoria's Secret catalogue.

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

*glares at jalepenoman*

I finally have a single gmail invite. Anyone wanna send me something small and cool for it?

Suneun
Member # 3247

sent it off. wooh.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
PSI, I have a violin that I'd be willing to sell to you. Or rather, that my father'd be willing to sell to you. [Smile] I'll take a look at it and tell you what shape it's in. It's pretty old and it has some wear and tear, but I'll see if I can tune it and give it a bit of a spitshine if you actually want to buy it.

email me at ryukochan (at) gmail.com

And also, no, I don't have any free invites. I promised my first to a friend and my second to someone in my D&D group.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Synestesia -- I don't know. Even though that fedora *is* a little small for my head, I really like it, and it means a lot to me. Go ahead and measure your head size anyway and send it to me.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Ryuko: Email on the way. :-D
Suneun
Member # 3247

I wrote up a brief summary of people's haves and wants, but I want to wait to page 2 to post it.

I have a Looking For, though...

I collect interesting weapons (mostly knives). If anyone has any knives or other sharp items sitting around, I'd be really interested in trading for it, or buying it.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.