FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Look out Mormons. Here I come.

Author Topic: Look out Mormons. Here I come.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
In just one week I shall magically appear in Mormon country. Well, not exactly magically ....I mean, jet engines are involved. But what's freaking me out is that I let someone talk me into flying, which scares the pee out of me. What am I going to do? Quick! Someone tell me something comforting about flying. And none of this "there are more car crashes than plane crashes" stuff. There is a huge difference between being a victim of a car wreck and a plane wreck. In a car wreck, you might walk away with a broken arm. If your plane crashes, you'll be lucky if they FIND your arm.

These are the kinds of thoughts that are building up in my head as I get ready to leave. After a bad plane experience ten years ago, I decided I would never fly again. But here I am, flying.

What have I gotten myself into? Gah.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
There's some movies you should see as prep:
Air Force One
Alive

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Also good:
Turbulence

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
and then watch Speed to make you afraid of the bus
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
PSI, there is nothing scary about flying. It's a little boring, especially if the flight is a long one, but it really isn't scary at all. This is coming from someone who goes out of the country at least once or twice a year.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
The pilot doesn't do anything any more and your trusting your life to a mere machine. A machine that with the slightest problem could shortcut leaving you and the other passengers to plummit to certain death.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could try Flying High [Smile]
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember the mantra:
"Bernoulli was right. Bernoulli was right. Bernoulli was right."

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, someone suggested "Langoliers" to me. Of everything, "Langoliers" is the most comforting thing of all.

And jebus, for shame. You are seriously warping me here. Do you want to cause my kids to grow up to be as neurotic as me?

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure you're helping, Jebus.

One thing that helps me sometimes is knowing that commercial jets are built to be able to glide even if the engines cut out... So it's not an automatic crash.

Oh, and auto-pilot and auto-landings are *way* safer then pilot ones - no room for pilot error.

I also find a gin and tonic just after takeoff helps a great deal.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

See, I knew about the gliding thing, but I thought that only worked for itty-bitty planes. This one is a Regional Jet, with the engines in the back, which somehow makes me feel safer than the enormous ones.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I always feel very nervous when I have to sit near the engines. I know that with the speed those turbines are going, if one blade had a catastrophic failure, it would slice right through the plane and my body.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I'm so glad I can come to you guys when I need encouragement.

Porter: Yeah, I like the engines in the back. I don't like thinking that if there's a problem with the engine, I lose a wing as well.

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
When I had to fly, I took a nerve pill. Of course, my husband tells me that I paused a loooong time when asked if I had any weapons, so maybe that's not the greatest advice.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

When I was ten, I told the guy at security that there was a bomb in my cabbage patch. I thought it was obvious I was kidding. My parents didn't think it was funny.
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, go see Airplane.

You know, my cousin's a flight attendant. In training, they tell them about this crash where it caught on fire and then hit a shallow lake, bottomed quick, basically crumpled the plane like a can.

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Douglas Adams say something like "flying is nothing more than jumping at the ground and missing"?
Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
He said, and I quote (so I'll quote)
quote:
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying.
There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying.
The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

That being from Life, The Universe, and Everything

I'll tell you this. Pilots are trained to be able to land an airplane without working engines. So if the ones on your plane are in good working order, its a bonus. And pilots have to be tested very frequently.

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Remember the mantra:
"Bernoulli was right. Bernoulli was right. Bernoulli was right."

[ROFL]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Promethius
Member # 2468

- posted      Profile for Promethius           Edit/Delete Post 
What usually calms me down is that if a terrorist tries anything, thinking about how im gonna stab him in the eye with my ball point pen. The other thing that constantly runs through my mind is the plane slamming into the ground at a million miles an hour, but its probably best not to go there...

You can do it, just be tough. Tough like that little engine that could. I think I can, I think I can, etc.

[ June 23, 2004, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: Promethius ]

Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
just remember that your seat is a flotation device.

Though...I would rather my seat be a parachute device

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm sorry, but no. In the event of a water landing, my seat cushion is going to be used as a toilet."
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
*gestures to the stewardess*

cut to: cracking lip-glossed smile

"yes?"

"Are there any empty seats possibly in a different row?"

*gestures at distressing Moose*

cut to: finely tamed eyebrows rising in alarm!

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
Tip: Bring a pair of ear plugs (and use 'em). They're the next best thing to anesthetics for keeping headaches at bay.

Tip: If your pilot makes a general announcement advising you to ignore the "malfunctioning" alarm sounding in the back of the plane, and then proceeds to land 15 minutes early; Don't believe him!

Tip: Request an aisle seat in an emergency exit row, you get more leg room that way.

Tip: Unless you're flying first class, sitting in the front of the plane sucks; you're among the last people on the plane and you have to fight (sometimes literally) for overhead bin space.

Tip: Sit back and relax, what could possibly go wrong? [Wink]

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Considering how many flights there are and how few crashes there are, I'd say flying is a pretty safe way to travel. Relax. [Smile]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Take chewing gum. It always helps me to chew gum as the plane is ascending/descending to help my ears "pop" with the altitude changes.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this thread is responsible for the dream I had last night about a very boring movie about an airplane trip.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
Here is one thing (of very, very few) that I remember from my MBA program. It was from some decision making class (and I'm paraphrasing):

Activity A:
Accidents occur during activity A 20% of the time. When they do, 30% of those accidents are fatal.

Activity B:
Accidents occur during activity B 1% of the time. When such accidents occur, 99.99999% of those accidents are fatal.

So lots of people chose activity A over activity B. Then we learned A is driving, B is flying.

Don't know why I posted this, but have a lovely flight. 99% of airline flights do not end in fatality!!!!!!! [Smile]

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I second seeing "Airplane".

It may not make flying seem safer, but you get a few giggles out of it. (I believe that movie is the number 1 reason why Hara Krishna's no longer frequent airports.)

I also suggest alcohol. I mean, they bring the drinks right to you. What could be better.

Finally, there is always hypnosis. You don't get hypnotized into not being afraid. You get hypnotized into believing that you are actually taking a train.

A train with very, very tall wheels.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

quote:
Accidents occur during activity A 20% of the time. When they do, 30% of those accidents are fatal.
Wait, wouldn't this mean that six out of a hundred flights ends in fatality? That's terrible odds!

quote:
What usually calms me down is that if a terrorist tries anything, thinking about how im gonna stab him in the eye with my ball point pen
This is true. I DO know how to kill a man five different ways with a pen.

quote:
just remember that your seat is a flotation device.

Though...I would rather my seat be a parachute device

So you can suffocate on the way down?
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So you can suffocate on the way down?
No, you could unclip from the parachute right before hitting the water, then swim away from the parachute before it hits the water.
[Dont Know]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I'm talking about the low oxygen at thirty thousand feet.
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
My physic teacher in high school told me once that the odds of someone having a bomb on a plane were 1:1,000,000.

And the odds of there being two bombs on a plane were 1:1,000,000,000,000!

So he always carried a bomb onto planes with him.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I'm wondering how many problems on planes resulting in death are caused by foul play, rather than accident. I feel pretty safe from most foul play at this point. *brandishes pen*
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
The space shuttle is a gigiantic brick on re-entry, the wings do not help with lift, they're pretty much just for stabilization; it's got a few rockets on it that accelerate and de-accelrate it and that's it. The only thing it can really do is fall.

And yet only one time has teh space shuttle ever not made it to ground, and that was win a heat-resistant patch fell off so high up that it's just plane ridiculous to worry about for comericial flights (the frost on your windows is a sign your not going so fast as to cause massive heat build up from friction that caused the Shuttle's faliure).

You're ridding within an object that has wings that are meant to keep it up right and steady, you can fly horizontally, not just drop, you've got more little manueverable fins and the like then anyone can count, if you wanted to you could do barrel roles in that thing. If the space shuttle is safe (besides heat fricition you don't have to worry about, and solid rockets exploding, which you aslo don't have to worry about), you're safe.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

quote:
it's just plane ridiculous to worry about for comericial flights
What an awful pun. [Wink]
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Random update:

I just learned that Canadair had their very first fatal accident last year, after 11 years of service. Isn't that a good thing for me? Doesn't that mean that they'll be working hard to keep it from happening again? *prays*

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it means all their planes are getting pretty old and it's just a matter of time until they're exploding in-transit.

[ June 24, 2004, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Frisco ]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.