FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Calling all web gurus

Author Topic: Calling all web gurus
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
How in the heck do you embed a font in a web page? I'm trying to find out how, and I'm having a hard time finding any sort of useful information online. Can anyone help?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
You should use CSS, which is easy enough check out this how-to.
You'll need to put this in your head area:
code:
<head>
<style type="text/css">
body { font-family: font here }
</style>
</head>

Satyagraha

[ June 24, 2004, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: BYuCnslr ]

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe he's asking how to embed a font, not specify a font.

The short answer is: don't.

the long answer is: don't, its not cross platform, its complicated, it has significant legal issues in most cases, and its bad web design. To make more explicit the last point, many people specify the fonts their browser should use for readability reasons. Telling their web browser to download a different font (which can override the settings) and use that instead is impolite.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy, you DON'T embed a font. You pick a font everybody has, or you make the thing you want to display into an image.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Okay. That's what I was afraid of. Thanks.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

And you only do the image thing if its absolutely necessary, and not to content paragraphs or else you'll piss off a lot of people (non-standard browser sizes, browsers that have problems displaying images, people who have bad near eyesight and crank the font size up (a lot of people), et cetera).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Oh, no, I would never do whole paragraphs as graphics. Just some headings.
weezer
Member # 6643

- posted      Profile for weezer   Email weezer         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, JonBoy, I know how much that would cramp your style. What has it been now? Sixteen, almost seventeen years we've known each other.

*"Penny Lane" begins to play in background"

[ June 25, 2004, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: weezer ]

Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooohhh...embed. I agree with Fugu and Tom, don't...if you really do need to, use a non-standard font, make as few text images as humanly possible, the webpage I've been forced to make requires an adobe font for all the titles...it's not fun because you have go through make them, and then make sure that the transparencies work because gifs, though useful, are still inferior to png which gets rendered in pretty much every graphical browser except the most popular Internet Explorer because it doesn't render alpha transparencies without you going through and doing CSS trickery...it's really annoying (if you haven't noticed, I'm very bitter about this), I suggest finding a stnadard font that looks like it and stick with that.

(btw, anyone know a good fix to get IE to render alpha transparencies correctly?)

Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Its worth pointing out in this thread that you can specify multiple font names after font family. Usually one names the font one wants (no matter how esoteric), then a solid acceptabl font that's a little uncommon, then a common font which almost always works, then either serif or sans-serif as a last fallback resort.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Yes, JonBoy, I know how much that would cramp your style. What has it been now? Sixteen, almost seventeen years we've known each other.
*squints*

Who are you? The only person I've known that long (but not longer) is [dun dun dun] my sister.

weezer
Member # 6643

Aye; 'tis I, your one and only kid-sister. [Evil Laugh]

[ June 25, 2004, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: weezer ]

Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Oh, great. Now all of Hatrack is going to be calling me Jonbert.
weezer
Member # 6643

You used that name here first.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

What? You started calling me that just recently. Goober. Don't make me drive up there and noogie you.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.