FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kung Fu

Author Topic: Kung Fu
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I won free kung fu lessons for a whole month. Including uniform.
I started on Wednesday and was awkward and ungraceful.
But it was fun. Painful, but fun.
Now my stomach is sore from doing these constant stomach crunching sit up things to get a tighter, less flabby stomach.
How do I know if I am overdoing it? I really want to exercise a lot more.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trondheim
Member # 4990

- posted      Profile for Trondheim   Email Trondheim         Edit/Delete Post 
The sorer, the better [Big Grin]
And don't worry. You won't be able to overdo it in the beginning.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! That sounds like fun. Now go find a copy of "The Last Dragon." It's a true story. [Big Grin]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Was your uniform a white jumpsuit with a sequined eagle on the back? Just wondering. [Razz]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
Grasshopper,

You should not worry about overdoing it. You will know you are finished with your lessons when two things happen:

1. An old, blind master will ask you to snatch a pebble from his hand.

2. You will be required to lift a heavy pot filled with hot, fiery coals with your forearms.

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Also trust your instructor... he or she should be able to keep an eye on you and let you know if you are going to far.

I suggest, BTW, getting a lot of rest and then doing some light calesthenics and stretching just before class-- maybe some jumping jacks and/or a short [<100yds] jog-- just to get the blood flowing and get some muscles loose and limber.

Don't go to class if you are having significant trouble focusing or are tired to the point that you are kind of punch drunk.

Do go to class if you "just don't feel like it".

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES work out with ANYONE when under the influence of any mind-altering substance, but I will confess the challenge of doing form while inebriated is a fun and interesting one. Keep it simple, though-- the only major injury I have sustained in four years of kung fu came while doing form [and yes, I was sober].

What style are you taking?

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's praying mantis.
It's fantastic! Today I learned leaning stance and had difficulty with all kinds of kicks and that sliding across the floor thing.
I suck at that.
And also at some kicks...
I wonder just how much I can learn in just a month...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

not much...

<bad chinese overdub voice>
You kung fu be no good for prenty time... den someday be good. rotso plactice! rosto patience!
</chinese dub voice>

Just stick with it and absorb. I am just beginning to really feel like I'm getting the hang of this stuff and it's been four years! I wish you the best, especially with the sliding thing [Wink]

feel free to e-mail me if you want to talk "fu" sometime...

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Your body is moving in new and unusual ways, so it's actually completely natural that you'll be hurting in new and unusual ways.

Advice:

1. Always warm up. Stretch and do some light aerobic exercise - jogging, jumping jacks, etc.

2. Make sure you increase your water intake to compensate for the increased workload.

3. Pay attention to pain in key areas - back and knees. If your back or knees begins to hurt, pay attention and minimize the strain being placed there. Particularly the small of your back.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Martial Arts. [Wink]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

oh yeah... one more... when being hit or breaking your fall, the louder and more sharply you exhale, the less it hurts and the less likely to knock the wind out of you.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.