FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A pHp question .... answered!

Author Topic: A pHp question .... answered!
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know how I can install pHp on Windows XP - I don't have a server or anything, I'm just starting to learn it, and I want to be able to see what I've done.

[ June 28, 2004, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: kaioshin00 ]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
absolutely. http://www.php.net/downloads.php Look under windows binaries. I've got it installed right now, and it works fine.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
I downloaded

# PHP 4.3.7 zip package [6,895Kb] - 02 June 2004
(CGI binary plus server API versions for Apache, Apache2 (experimental), ISAPI, NSAPI, Servlet and Pi3Web. MySQL support built-in, many extensions included, packaged as zip)
md5: 3362079d4d1aaaf0c146b0c376ceec4b

Do I just unzip this to say, C:\PHP

and then save all my php files to the same directory?

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Unzip it somewhere or just open it and find the install.txt or readme.txt or something like that. Do what it says. What exactly are you trying to do? If its web development you'll probably need apache or IIS too. As well as a database of some sort.

I think it can be run as a scripting language too, but I've never tried that. Look at the text files or html files that it comes with.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
IM me at BernardLUE42, i'll walk you through it.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I use that exact program, myself, on a number of production servers; it works just fine.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

Satyagraha
[The Wave]
is
[The Wave]
the
[The Wave]
best!

BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
tom: just wondering, do you use apache2 or 1.3.x?

I'm glad I could be of help. :-)
Satyagraha

[ June 28, 2004, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: BYuCnslr ]

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
*coughusepythonitsamuchmorewellorganizedlanguagecough*

[Wink]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone knows the best applications are written in Clipper using the CDX data driver and an extended memory manager, dude.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I thought you were computer people!"

It's worth pointing out that not all computer people have the luxury of doing what they think is best.

In the real world, most network administration is a compromise between the demands of management and the dreams of script kiddies.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

You forgot about the unceasing crying of the users...
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

In my current position, I have the relative luxury of only answering to incompetent management. We have a help desk to deal with users.

In my previous position, though, I sympathized. [Smile]

fugu13
Member # 2859

Regardless of which you think is better (and I'm of the opinion that python knocks php's socks off), all I said was that python was better organized, which it pretty much irrefutably is. PHP doesn't know the meaning of the word organization. It doesn't even use namespaces, much less good a good package system like python has!
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Oh, and I definitely agree that one regularly has to use inferior choices due to necessity.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Oh, yes. That's usually the first obstacle a developer faces.

Dagonee

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
fugu, you've mentioned to me several times how PHP doesn't use namespaces, but I don't really understand what you mean. That is, function and class variables in PHP are limited in scope; if I make an object bam of class right, which has two member functions on and off, the variables in $bam->on() can have the same names as the variables in $bam->off() (or, to use a different notation, the variables in right::on() and right::off() can have the same names). Isn't that an example of namespaces? Or is my understanding of namespaces just wrong?
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

I suspect he means more than just having scoped variables.

quote:
namespace - The place where a variable is stored in a Python program's memory. Namespaces are implemented as a dictionary. There are the local, global and builtins namespaces and the nested namespaces in objects (in methods). Namespaces support modularity by preventing naming conflicts. For instance, __builtins__.open() and os.open() are distinguished by their namespaces. Namespaces also aid readability and maintainabilty by making it clear which modules implement a function. For instance, writing random.seed() and itertools.izip() will make it clear that those functions are implemented by the random and itertools modules respectively.
(from http://manatee.mojam.com/python-glossary))

Same idea as a c++ namespace it looks like. A way to have more fully qualified names, letting you have 10 billion 'copy' functions that all take the same parameters.

edit: link no workie.

[ June 29, 2004, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: HollowEarth ]

fugu13
Member # 2859

yes, namespace does not equal scope. You can do a hack to get partial "namespaces" working by making everything you do class functions of various encompassing classes, but that's both just that (a hack which can cause some problems in extensibility and such) and not anywhere near the extensive package based qualified name system of python, which is far more than just namespace support.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.