FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Best thing for a fever?

Author Topic: Best thing for a fever?
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
My youngest son is incredibly sick today, his fever is peaking at 105.8! He seems almost delerious and thrashes around a little bit in his sleep. Symptoms luckily only include pounding head-ache, swollen throat, body aches and high temp. Even though my wife is a nurse she gets a little underprotective sometimes about when she or one of our family is sick, I used to call her Ms. Stoicism. Currently I am giving my son alternating doses every 6-8 hours of 800 milligrams of ibuprofen and 2000 milligrams of tylennol. Does anyone here have a better suggestion, as neither one seems to be supressing his fever very well. It's not an emergency I'd just rather he wasn't in such misery. [Frown] We are making sure he takes his meds with a little food each time and we are giving him a lot of gatorade for hydration too.

Btw: We've already tried sodium naproxen and it didn't seem to work at all.

[ June 30, 2004, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: BrianM ]

Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor little guy; I hope he feels better soon. We do the alterating meds when the kiddos have high fevers as well. The only other thing I can think of is to put him in a lukewarm bath and afterwards keep him stripped down as much as possible.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
How old is he?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

He's 18 so I'm not exactly going to draw a bath for him and load him into it, even in his weakened state he would probably kill me [Big Grin]
That's also pretty much why we have to give him gatorade, he sure won't drink pedialyte.

I told him about it though and I told him to stay stripped down, he says it helps a little but he keeps saying how his whole body except for his head is freezing. The head is roasting.
[Frown]

[ June 30, 2004, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: BrianM ]

Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Would ice on his head work a bit?
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weezer
Member # 6643

- posted      Profile for weezer   Email weezer         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, whatever you do, don't let him watch the movie The Labrynth. One time I watched it when I had a really high fever and it just made me feel worse. [Roll Eyes]

But I hope he gets better soon.

Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
From The Portable Pediatrician for Parents:
quote:
Most children with fever hate cool baths and sponging; it may even make them worse or seem to precipitate a fever convulsion.
She also suggests that a child with the combination of a severe headache and a high fever be seen by a doctor ASAP.

[edit: Oh! He's 18! Well, does his neck ache? Or is it stiff?]

[ June 30, 2004, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Does he feel sick? Sometimes, a fever is just the bodies way of healing itself. If he is coherent and all, just make sure he's drinking plenty of fevers, don't force him to eat and don't freeze him. (Don't pack him in clothes either, but don't freeze him. Apparently, being chilled can be worse than the fever.) Of course, what do I know. Where's CT et. al. when you need them?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tullaan
Member # 5515

- posted      Profile for Tullaan   Email Tullaan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd suggest taking him in. 105 temp is too high for any age. Unless your measurement devise is inaccurate.

Still 105 is way too high.

Speed is correct on the dosages of acetaminophen and ibuprofen.
2000 mg of acetaminophen is way to much. 800 mg of ibuprofen has been used for inflamation and pain but usually not more then a day or two.

I suggest going to a walk in clinic or ER as soon as possible.

Tullaan

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

http://www.aacn.org/AACN/aacnnews.nsf/GetArticle/ArticleThree198?OpenDocument#research

http://www.jrussellshealth.com/fever.html

Apparently, there is no reason to give him both tylenol and advil. The studies show it does more harm and produces no benefits.

BrianM
Member # 5918

He says his neck does not especially ache.

He says besides the mentioned symptoms he doesn't feel sick,. no nausea. He also said that his headache has turned more into painless lightheadedness with some slight pressure.

We were giving him a chilled towel to wrap around his headm and he said it was helping, but after he stopped wearing it his pain-headache went away.

I must admit, the reason I was giving him 800 milligrams of ibuprofen every 6-8 hours and switching off with 2 grams of tylennol was that my sister who is a pharmacist told me that was an effective adult dossage, but maybe she went a little too far.

Good news is that last temp. reading was 104.3 If it continues the way it is though or increases I think I will drive him to the ER.

Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
generally, you're supposed to call a doctor or bring him in if it's above 105. Also, make sure his mouth isn't colder from drinking fluids when you take his temperature.

I guess it depends how long he's had such a high fever and whether or not it's going down right now. If it starts rising again, I'd go ahead and bring him in.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
2000 mg of acetaminophen is for an entire day. I was told to take 800 mg every few hours when I had an inflamed toe.

Tylenol will really mess someone's liver up. If he has been getting a lot of it recently my nonmedical advice would be to stop giving it to him.

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.