FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Man Who Saved The World

Author Topic: Man Who Saved The World
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never heard of this before:

Man Who Saved The World Recognized

quote:
Stanislav Petrov was a Soviet army officer monitoring the satellite system for signs of a U.S. attack, the year was 1983, and his instructions, if he detected missiles targeting the Soviet Union, were to push the button and launch a counter-offensive.

He didn’t. Minutes later, no missiles came; months later, the frightening data across his monitor was determined to have been a system glitch

FG
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Very scary stuff. Given that the model for world security at the time was Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD), it's amazing we're still around.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Yes -- to think things could have been "all over" for us in the blink of an eye, and we were oblivious to it the whole time....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
*pushes a button*
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
My god that's sobering.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to be overly skeptical, but I'm not entirely convinced this is right...

BMEWS is an American system and the acronym is based on English words... add that the Cyrillic alphabet is different, there is almost 100% certainty that acronym would never appear in a Russian news article. It would seem, then, that the article is targeted to an American audience, particularly one famiiar with BMEWS (which would make it relatively small). Why do that? I don't know...

Not saying that makes it false, but it just makes me go "hmmm..." [Dont Know]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

That's interesting, Jim-Me. I didn't know that....

That is curious -- I wonder if they were meaning to say a control room LIKE the American BMEWS -- comparatively...

FG

[ July 01, 2004, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

keepsmilin
Member # 6607

- posted      Profile for keepsmilin   Email keepsmilin         Edit/Delete Post 
jeez, and I thought Dr.Strangelove was a work of fiction...
Posts: 18 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

actually I think the best brink o' the apocalypse movie ever is "Crimson Tide" (plus, Viggo's in it, for you LotR wenches)

though Dr. Strangelove *is* pretty great

FG, I'm sure that's what they meant... I just wonder why they would phrase it like that. I mean, I happened to hear about BMEWS because I became part of the Air Force in 1986, but how many people have heard of that system? maybe a million? how many of those people are going to be reading this article? I bet less than a thousand...

I'm thinking they tried to come up with an American equivalent for their system and decided on BMEWS rather than the more well-known NORAD Command. So a good try that missed... likely.

but why target this at American audiences at all? and why is it not being carried by other media outlets? It would seem a story of this magnitutde would be gold for news outlets.

Again, it doesn't mean this is all a crock or any less sobering to think about, but something's a little off here and I haven't quite put my finger on it...

...which means it might just be me [Dont Know]

[ July 01, 2004, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't bothered to dig up the actual total, but we have accidentally dropped several nuclear warheads on our own country by accident. Mostly, they accidentally fall from a B-52 or other warplane. Luckily, none of them detonated, which is how they were designed to operate.

Update: Here is a partial list...

http://www.lutins.org/nukes.html#bombs

[ July 01, 2004, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Alucard... ]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepherdess
Member # 6115

- posted      Profile for Shepherdess   Email Shepherdess         Edit/Delete Post 
Alucard,
I didn't believe you, so I had to go look it up myself. Some of those are very frightening!

Link

Posts: 107 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Scary. There's still a rumor that there's a nuclear device somewhere in Salton Sea, a naval base being closed down. The rumor goes that it's listed as "Unexploded Ordnance."

No clue if it's true.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Jim-Me, you make some good points -- why isn't this covered?

So I put the individual's name in the Google News search. "Stanislav Petrov"

I only got two hits -- both were with the Austrailian newspaper the Herald Sun. They pretty much tell the same story.

So why wasn't this picked up internationally? Are some people trying to save face?

Farmgirl

edit: okay there are a few others if I don't use his first name

[ July 01, 2004, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Snarky
Member # 4406

- posted      Profile for Snarky   Email Snarky         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, Crimson Tide. Definitely a good brink-of-nuclear-war movie.
Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Alucard,
I didn't believe you, so I had to go look it up myself.

And that, my dear, is why you made my day.

[Wink]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

FG, either they are trying to save face or someone is trying to make a certain point to very specific people with this article...

As for the accidentally dropped nukes, it takes a whole lot to set off a nuke, precisely in case of things like that.

My dad used to crew chief F-100s and one of the mission profiles was sitting alert to toss-bomb a nuke. In order to arm the bomb, the pilot had to fly a specific set of altitudes for specific times, this was programmed by the crew chief and then revealed to the pilot later in flight by coded radio message... this was in order to make sure the bomb did not go off if, say, the plane was shot down or the pilot lost control and crashed... also protection, though this was highly unlikely, in case the plane was commandeered.

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
From the Humanist article FG linked to:

quote:
In the case or Petrov, he was dismissed from the army on a pension that in succeeding years would prove nearly worthless. Petrov's superiors were reprimanded for the computer error and all in the group were subjected to the same treatment.

The Daily Mirror report round Petrov's health destroyed by the enormous stress of the incident. His wife died of cancer and he lives alone in a second-floor flat in a small town about thirty miles from Moscow. "Once I would have liked to have been given some credit for what I did," said Petrov. "But it is too long ago and today everything is emotionally burned out inside me. I still have a bitter feeling inside my soul as I remember the way I was treated."

[Frown]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread has me stuck on a David Bowie song now.

But that's not such a bad thing. [Cool]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

Erik,

I especially love the Nirvana remake of this song by David Bowie.

Rawk on!

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Kurt did an excellent rendition, I agree. [Cool]

Edit to add: (we are discussing The Man Who Sold the World, to those who don't know...)

[ July 01, 2004, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Erik Slaine ]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Hell, I'd contribute to a fund for the guy.

Otherwise I'd have died in High School. [Angst]

Dagonee

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

you mean you are my age, too?

you aren't me, are you, Dagonee?

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Otherwise I'd have died in High School.
At least you would have been born.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Nope. I'm me. You might be me, but that's none of my business.

Dagonee

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

[Angst]
Shepherdess
Member # 6115

- posted      Profile for Shepherdess   Email Shepherdess         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And that, my dear, is why you made my day.
Nothing personal! I'm sure you're very trustworthy, Alucard. [Smile]
I think it was just the mental imagery of nuclear warheads "falling off" a B-52 as if someone hadn't strapped them down tight enough that was a little unbelievable.

Posts: 107 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I wish there was a way to send him a thank you letter.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine who was in the military in the '60s did a lot of service guarding planes. He mentioned one time that a nuclear bomb fell off a plane during his shift... (the plane was at least on the ground)
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
eslaine (i just can't call you elaine!), I also thought of 'man who sold the world' but I hear the Nirvana version in my head, not the original.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I love that song. I haven't heard the original but the version on the Nirvana Live in NYC cd is great.
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

- posted      Profile for slacker   Email slacker         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a great link that talks about some of the past nuclear accidents that could have started a war (including one incident in 1995).

linky

Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I mentioned this story to my kids last night, and was very surprised that my oldest son(18) knew quite a bit about this -- and also about those reports of all our "missing" bombs (like the rest of you linked to). He said that when the military loses a bomb like that, unrecoverable or lost, it is called a "broken arrow" (I guess he means in radio transmissions that's what they say).

He reads WAY too much....... I haven't found much of anything he hasn't already heard about.

FG

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, FG, I think your son and I would get along really well.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a movie called "Broken Arrow" a while back. I guess that's why they had to kill one of the bad guys with a hammer. Or something like that.

quote:
San Francisco-based Association of World Citizens
:starts humming the Star Trek theme song:
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I saw that movie and don't remember much except thinking it was horribly unrealistic.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.